6 replies to this topic

#1 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Today is four months gluten free for me and I find that over the last few weeks I barely notice any more. I enjoy my gluten free pasta and bread. Yesterday I finally found Snyder's gluten free pretzels (on sale for $2!!!) and they're so good that even my husband is a fan of them. He's not only a gluten eater but is quite possibly the world's pickiest eater. I'm eating more fruits and veggies and generally feeling a whole lot better, even though I know I have a long way to go to feeling good.

Yesterday my best friend, who is practically a sister, got her masters in accounting. I was pretty excited to go, which was helped along by the fact that the ceremony took place a few miles farther up the freeway than the gluten free bakery I love. Afterward I was for the first time invited to a restaurant I knew that I couldn't eat at. Even a month ago I may have bowed out, instead I stopped at the bakery and picked up a sandwich and some cupcakes and headed off to meet everyone. I enjoyed myself and got some satisfaction with the way everyone looked on with jealousy as I enjoyed a positively divine key lime cupcake while they all had ice cream and fruit for dessert.

If I do get some gluten I have an immediate and violent reaction, but that's becoming more and more rare these days as I get the hang of things. I still screw up, but I don't let it get me down any more. There are still occasional times I feel like I might sell my soul for a donut but it passes quickly instead of making me sulk. I just wanted to share that it gets easier and maybe this will help give someone some hope that even if changes aren't drastic and even if the road is long, there are small milestones that can remind us we're doing the right thing.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sharilee

sharilee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Today is four months gluten free for me and I find that over the last few weeks I barely notice any more. I enjoy my gluten free pasta and bread. Yesterday I finally found Snyder's gluten free pretzels (on sale for $2!!!) and they're so good that even my husband is a fan of them. He's not only a gluten eater but is quite possibly the world's pickiest eater. I'm eating more fruits and veggies and generally feeling a whole lot better, even though I know I have a long way to go to feeling good.

Yesterday my best friend, who is practically a sister, got her masters in accounting. I was pretty excited to go, which was helped along by the fact that the ceremony took place a few miles farther up the freeway than the gluten free bakery I love. Afterward I was for the first time invited to a restaurant I knew that I couldn't eat at. Even a month ago I may have bowed out, instead I stopped at the bakery and picked up a sandwich and some cupcakes and headed off to meet everyone. I enjoyed myself and got some satisfaction with the way everyone looked on with jealousy as I enjoyed a positively divine key lime cupcake while they all had ice cream and fruit for dessert.

If I do get some gluten I have an immediate and violent reaction, but that's becoming more and more rare these days as I get the hang of things. I still screw up, but I don't let it get me down any more. There are still occasional times I feel like I might sell my soul for a donut but it passes quickly instead of making me sulk. I just wanted to share that it gets easier and maybe this will help give someone some hope that even if changes aren't drastic and even if the road is long, there are small milestones that can remind us we're doing the right thing.

Glad things are getting easier. I am approaching three months gluten free myself. I find myself eating healthier too. I still have those moments when I would do anything for a donut or chocolate cake but I have found those days are less and less each passing day.

Positive blood work July 2011
Negative Endoscopy August 2011
Positive Endoscopy February 23, 2012
Celiac Diagnosis February 23, 2012
Gluten Free since February 24, 2012

Shari

#3 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Congrats Adalaide! Great to hear things working out.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Congrats! I'm glad you're feeling better and doing well. :)
Dairy free since 2010
Gluten free 2/2012 after off the charts positive blood test
Soy and MSG sensitive
Have opted not to biopsy right now.

#5 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

I'm so happy to see you're doing better! You were having a hard time for a while. :D
Your post should help encourage others that are going through a rough patch.

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I am so happy to hear that things are going better for you, hon. :)
You were having a rough time for a while. .

Good for you!! Going out and enjoying the company of others is what life is all about. We need to be careful, yes, but we do not need to be secluded.

Hang in there. You're doing GREAT!
It gets better every month that passes.

In time, I think WE will be the norm--- and the GEs (gluten eaters) will be the minority. ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hi Adalaide –

I've been meaning to respond to this, but I haven't had the time up until now! I would like to say thank you for posting this – I've really been struggling lately with believing in this diet. I know it takes awhile to get feeling better (and get the diet right!) but sometimes it seems a bit excessive; all the places where cross contamination can occur, shampoos, dog foods...how little it takes to send us spiraling backwards...!

Lately I've been feeling like a total failure with all of the mistakes I've been making... it's hard to believe that there will be a time where this won't happen, but your post has validated that it CAN happen and it does take TIME (you won't feel better immediately!). Thank you, thank you, thank you – your post really gave me hope. <3

~Laura :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: