21 replies to this topic

#16 BumbleBee91

BumbleBee91

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

I was diagnosed with ceoliac before hashimotos but when I look back on my bloodwork I really had Hashimotos at the same time. My antibody levels are >13000u/ml (meant to be less than 60). My thyroid levels are now completely within normal levels after being mostly gluten-free but the doctor says at some stage my levels will decline and I'll need meds. He said some people have Hashimotos and will stay stable all their life but due to my antibodies being so high he thinks I'll definitely be one of the ones to go downhill.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

You could ask your doctor about immune suppressants. They can have bad affects if taken long term but they might help cool things down in the short term. Just a thought, I don't know if they would help the Hashimoto's long term or not.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

How long did it take you to get your antibodies back down to normal after going gluten free? My daughters actually went up after 6 months. Not much but still up. Someone else here said 6 years before theirs were normal. I just hope they go down period. I want to prove to the pediatrician that gluten free helps. She is still skeptical.

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

This exact question is what caused my daughter to be diagnosed with celiac. Her antibodies are off the chart. Supposed to be below 35 and she was 2800. She has been on meds for 4 years that control the hormones and her blood work for her levels are normal. However, her antibodies are still ragingly attacking her thryoid. I asked the pediatrician if going gluten free would help that. (I had read that) The doctor said, "You don't want to do that unless she has celiac. It is a very hard diet to maintain. But since they go together, I'll test her." And voila....the blood test showed celiac and so did the biopsy. No celiac symptoms whatsoever. They even tested her for celiac 4 years ago but it was negative. So she had hashis first. We just had repeat blood work done after 5 months of gluten free. Her levels went UP! She is now 2900. So going gluten free has not helped her in 5 months. I am hoping that in the long run, they will go down but right now...they won't. I had read that they would go to normal in 6 months but not for us.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder why anyone listens to doctors......the reason your daughter has high antibodies is because of gluten ingestion. This is why I know she had Celiac first, not Hashi's. My antibodies were off the charts also and never came down until I went strictly gluten free......and that took another 6 years. Antibodies only stay high if the aggravating factor to the thyroid is still present, which is gluten. The fact that her antibodies were that high consistently means your doctor missed her Celiac diagnosis, big time. AMA physicians only believe blood work, they see nothing else as far as symptoms. Most people who believe they are asymptomatic are really not.....they just do not realize how far reaching symptoms can be. Children sometimes present with atypical symptoms also. It is not normal at all for a 7 year old to develop Hashi's with thyroid antibodies that high....there is a root cause. This is the type of treatment that is common today. Her antibodies will come down, eventually, but stop believing what these people are telling you. People are different and you never know how long it will take for them to come down. Gluten ingestion will directly affect her thyroid so be strict with the diet.

As far as any doctor saying the diet should only be considered for Celiac and that it's a hard diet to maintain.....that's a crock, if ever I heard one. There is a learning curve but at no time have I ever considered this diet hard to maintain. You somewhat lose convenience but there is plenty to eat on this diet that would satisfy even a child. Remember that it's your
perception and attitude towards this diet that will have the biggest impact on your daughter.

I have a fabulous recipe for peanut butter cookies if you want it..... ;) There isn't much that I haven't been able to make gluten free and have it taste just as good. This is a much easier time to be gluten free!

#20 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

The very first appointment with the endo, she had her tested for celiac. I have never even heard of it. So I know that endo suspected something but dismissed it when the blood work was fine. They never even told me to try gluten free. I am being very strict but it makes me wonder since they are not going down! I dont' want to wait 6 years. I want to snap my fingers and make them go down NOW! I hope they go down so I can show the pediatrician that it works. Thanks for telling your story.

#21 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

The very first appointment with the endo, she had her tested for celiac. I have never even heard of it. So I know that endo suspected something but dismissed it when the blood work was fine. They never even told me to try gluten free. I am being very strict but it makes me wonder since they are not going down! I dont' want to wait 6 years. I want to snap my fingers and make them go down NOW! I hope they go down so I can show the pediatrician that it works. Thanks for telling your story.

Yes, I know you want your daughter healed right away but relax.....she will heal fine but it will take time. The AMA have made you fearful and they are very good at that. I was 46 at time of diagnosis and I had Celiac symptoms for most of my entire life and they missed it. That is very common for blood work to come back negative in many people and then the doctors will dismiss it.
They ignore a lot of things that other Celiac's see. I healed well but it did take time. I was not sick the entire time but to get numbers back into the normal range takes time. It may not take 6 years for your daughter to heal as she is young but if it does, don't sweat it. She'll lead a normal life! ;) The important thing is that you are on the right track now.

#22 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hmm my antibodies were all normal...and...i had an ultrasound..all the doctor told me was "no suspicious nodules found". Dunno if that means no nodules or just none to make them think cancer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: