Discussing The Newbie 101 Topic

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#1 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

You have been diagnosed and you do not know what to do next.
First, do not panic! and Welcome to the Forum!
Best wishes!
IH

Comments about the Newbie topic are welcome here.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ibis

ibis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hi from Down Under,

I came upon your site from Google with a question regarding difference between Tapioca Flour and Tapioca Starch. Found an answer right away and read the newbie post by Irish Heart. Just newly diagnosed four weeks ago and was feeling overwhelmed, however find your posts encouraging so pressing on with this new phase of life. It's nice to know there are so many people willing to share their experiences to lighten the load.

Bye for now.

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Welcome Ibis from Down Under. We will gladly help share your burden if it will ease it in any way. :) Just let us know.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#4 Lisaann1

Lisaann1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Ok so this is all new to me. I had the offical diagnosis last Friday but been trying the gluten-free for almost a week. Its hard for me but I am glad I finally have the answer. I have not been feeling well still but I also seem to have times when I feel worse. Most of the time its on the days when I think I did manage to not have Gluten. My question is related to what do most gluten-free do besides not gluten. As do they really all avoid the milk and corn and soy and beans ext. I do not want to be doing this for a month and then add another ext and it be 6 months down the line before I finlay reach oh I wish i had just avoided it 6 months ago. I am also 3 months preggy and have 4 little ones at home and so I just want to know what to do. If its normal to avoid those food then add back in then thats what i will do I just need to start keeping food down as well as sleep and not have the migraines.

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Ok so this is all new to me. I had the offical diagnosis last Friday but been trying the gluten-free for almost a week. Its hard for me but I am glad I finally have the answer. I have not been feeling well still but I also seem to have times when I feel worse. Most of the time its on the days when I think I did manage to not have Gluten. My question is related to what do most gluten-free do besides not gluten. As do they really all avoid the milk and corn and soy and beans ext. I do not want to be doing this for a month and then add another ext and it be 6 months down the line before I finlay reach oh I wish i had just avoided it 6 months ago. I am also 3 months preggy and have 4 little ones at home and so I just want to know what to do. If its normal to avoid those food then add back in then thats what i will do I just need to start keeping food down as well as sleep and not have the migraines.

Oh hon, you are in a tough spot.

It is normal to experience "gluten withdrawal" - and I have no idea how pregnancy influences that.

Most people try a whole food diet, as much as possible: meats, veggies, fruits and attempt to stay away from gluten-free processed foods like cookies, etc., while that is ideal it isn't always reality. The top food intolerance associated with going gluten-free is milk - sometimes its temporary and sometimes permanent. There are a good number of people who have problems with soy and corn or some of the other gluten-free grains or stabilizers - but quite frankly I wouldn't worry about that yet.

The best thing to do is work on gluten-free. Keep a food and symptom diary and if you notice a pattern adjust your diet.

The first 6 months can be confusing and sometimes frustrating. Weird stuff happens. Just get started and see where it takes you.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

If I understood Peter's post correctly........

I LOVE the newbie 101 that IH posted. I think it's wonderful & full of information. Information that we keep writing over & over & over again. I was NOT a newbie the first time I read it & it STILL helped me! IMHO the newbie 101 is something that should be pinned to the top of every single forum topic --- that way every newbie sees it & can easily locate it without having to hunt for it. We all know it's scary & overwhelming when we first discover we have to eat a certain way. IH's 101 takes a great deal of the, "OMG! What in the world will I eat? What is safe? What is not? What can I expect?". It takes the panic out of the equation. It's calm, concise, precise & friendly. It doesn't come off dry or as a lecture --- this is what makes it so calming & therefore all the more valuable. People can print out that post & go to the store right away with a much more assured feeling than if they don't have that post in hand. Newbies still have a lot to learn but the newbie 101gets them a good ways down the road. It lets them know this is not nearly as frightening as they thought. It lets them know they CAN get through this; they CAN deal with this.

I can not applaud IH enough!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

The reason we decided to lock the original topic and start an new "discuss" one was to keep the original from being cluttered with a lot of "thank you" replies.

Replies in this discussion topic which add significantly to the content will be merged to the locked, pinned topic.

Thanks for your feedback.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#8 basilicious

basilicious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

IrishHeart, thank you so much for your Newbie 101 post!! It really covers so much...and it is so kind of you to share and help lighten the load of the confused and overwhelmed newbies.

Couple that with your generous, knowledgeable replies to my questions, and I have to say, you have truly had such a positive impact these first few months of recovery. Thank you thank you thank you!! :) I am so grateful for you and the other kind souls on this site.

#9 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

The reason we decided to lock the original topic and start an new "discuss" one was to keep the original from being cluttered with a lot of "thank you" replies.

Thanks for your feedback.

LOL, great idea. Here is another "thank you" post.

I have met a couple of people recently who just got diagnosed with celiac, I have sent them right to the "newbie 101" topic because it is so wonderful for helping new folks get started on the diet.

A friend of my daughter's mother-in-law just got diagnosed, and told how she walked into the produce department of the market and said to herself (seriously overwhelmed!) "I guess this is all there is left for me to eat..."

Hopefully she'll join in here and feel a lot less alone!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

We need to add the list of companies with a policy of clearly labelling all types of gluten. Kraft, Con-Agra, etc. I always forget one when I try to tell people. :blink:

I have this one:

http://www.glutenfre...donothidegluten

Its not very up-to-date but I know have checked a few of these companies & this is still thier policy

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Thank you so much for your post! I am newly diagnosed and this was very helpful! I have a question though... One of my main symptoms with eating gluten is constipation. I never have diarrhea like a lot do. And I heard that probiodics were good for us and that they help stop diarrhea. Where I have a problem with constipation instead will taking these keep me constipated? because that is the last thing I want!
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

It is a good thread for sure. IH did a great job on it too! I point people to it also.

Re: the C issue and probiotics, the answer is probably not, at least usually. The thing is some probiotics have diary in them and if you react to dairy they could cause a problem because of the dairy content. But if you don't have a problem with diary then you shouldn't have a problem with most probiotics. And not all of them have dairy, you have to check the labels.

Thyroid problems can also cause C and that is something to think about having checked. But really until you get all gluten out of your system for a while and give your guts a chance to heal things are kind of unpredictable
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thank you so much for your post! I am newly diagnosed and this was very helpful! I have a question though... One of my main symptoms with eating gluten is constipation. I never have diarrhea like a lot do. And I heard that probiodics were good for us and that they help stop diarrhea. Where I have a problem with constipation instead will taking these keep me constipated? because that is the last thing I want!

Probiotics are not just a treatment for diarrhea. They help repopulate your gut with the good healthy bacteria which aid in the digestion of food. Overgrowth of unhealthy bacteria can cause both constipation and diarrhea -- probiotics are the good guys with the white hats whichever you have. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

I cannot say enough about how much probiotics helped me out!
I take them religiously. I also drink a lot of water every day.

Upon DX, testing revealed negigible levels of "good guys".... that's impossible, I said. :blink:

Well, I WAS a burning mess. My entire GI tract was in flames--and those "good guys" helped straighten me out.

I had "alternating Bowels", AKA "IBS" my entire life...and for the first time, I am right as rain. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#15 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Comments about the Newbie topic are welcome here.

I am new comer here, Just want to say BIG Thank you to IrishHeart, It was big help.
Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: