Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Discussing The Newbie 101 Topic

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

I am new comer here, Just want to say BIG Thank you to IrishHeart, It was big help.
Thank you

Yep, she did good with that one. It's very helpful for any new person.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

I am new comer here, Just want to say BIG Thank you to IrishHeart, It was big help.
Thank you

I am so glad it helped in some way...welcome to the forum!
IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Newbie 101 should be required reading for every new member. Like, maybe before anyone is allowed to register, instead of terms of service they should have to read Newbie 101 and then be given a test to prove they read it. :lol:

I just wish I could get my FRIENDS who deny they have celiac symptoms to read it. Maybe I'll print it out and give it to everyone for Christmas this year, along with a loaf of Udi's and some Blue Bunny All Natural ice cream. If they knew they could still eat delicious food, maybe they wouldn't balk at the idea...

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Maybe I'll print it out and give it to everyone for Christmas this year, along with a loaf of Udi's and some Blue Bunny All Natural ice cream. If they knew they could still eat delicious food, maybe they wouldn't balk at the idea...

hmm.....could be what my relatives are getting this year, too....throw in some Tinkyada pasta & a new colander and wrap it with a bow... Ta da! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#20 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

A number of more recent posts here have been moved into a separate topic here.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 teenceliacCO

teenceliacCO

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Oh hon, you are in a tough spot.

It is normal to experience "gluten withdrawal" - and I have no idea how pregnancy influences that.

Most people try a whole food diet, as much as possible: meats, veggies, fruits and attempt to stay away from gluten-free processed foods like cookies, etc., while that is ideal it isn't always reality. The top food intolerance associated with going gluten-free is milk - sometimes its temporary and sometimes permanent. There are a good number of people who have problems with soy and corn or some of the other gluten-free grains or stabilizers - but quite frankly I wouldn't worry about that yet.

The best thing to do is work on gluten-free. Keep a food and symptom diary and if you notice a pattern adjust your diet.

The first 6 months can be confusing and sometimes frustrating. Weird stuff happens. Just get started and see where it takes you.

Thanks so much for this information. My 14 year old son has just had a preliminary diagnosis of Celiac's and we are just learning the Gluten Free diet to try to get him healthy and get him back in his first year of high school. His diarrhea has stopped for the most part but he is still having gas pains and does not sleep through the night....add puberty, growing pains, etc. and it all sometimes becomes overwhelming for him and us. He has missed several weeks of his first year of high school and we just want to get him back to being successful in school. He is an intelligent kid but feels overwhelmed.

#22 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Thanks so much for this information. My 14 year old son has just had a preliminary diagnosis of Celiac's and we are just learning the Gluten Free diet to try to get him healthy and get him back in his first year of high school. His diarrhea has stopped for the most part but he is still having gas pains and does not sleep through the night....add puberty, growing pains, etc. and it all sometimes becomes overwhelming for him and us. He has missed several weeks of his first year of high school and we just want to get him back to being successful in school. He is an intelligent kid but feels overwhelmed.

Welcome to the forum.  There's a wealth of information here!  Check out the newbie thread.  It contains all kinds of tips and ideas about going gluten free.  Be sure to check all meds and lip balms too for gluten.

Is your son finished with all testing?  Will he have a biopsy (endoscopy) or does your doctor think that positive results on a complete celiac blood panel is sufficient?  Will the rest of the family get tested?  

I have a thirteen year old gluten eater, but with two non-gluten eating parents, chances are she'll test positive sometime in the future.  If you strictly comply with the gluten-free diet, your son should be feeling better soon.  Everyone's different and everyone has different levels of intestinal damage.  I'm doing well on the diet, but it was an easy transition for me, since my husband's been gluten-free (not officially diagnosed) for 13 years.  I do all the cooking and shopping.  I mostly miss going out for dinner.  It's pretty risky eating out.  I would not advise doing so until your son is feeling better!  

I would also advise that your entire house go gluten free.  Gluten eaters can catch some gluten food during school hours or at the office.  It just makes it much easier and safer.  As time goes by, some folks can share a kitchen, but I find that it's easier just to be gluten free.  I do purchase pre-packaged gluten items (e.g. Smucker's PB&J frozen sandwiches, cereal bars, etc.) for my daughter's lunch.  But she happily eats all my gluten free home baked brownies, cupcakes and cookies.  Yum!  She says they are better than gluten versions!  

I'm sure your son will catch up at school as soon as he feels better!  

Take care!  And remember, put the oxygen mask on yourself first, before assisting others!  That means take care of you, Mom and Dad!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

I just wanted to mention in the list of blood tests to have/vitamin + mineral levels to have checked, I noticed vit D wasn't on the list, and I'm pretty sure that's an important one for all of us to watch.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: