2 replies to this topic

#1 Cashe2

Cashe2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi! I have been soy free for almost a year now with about 5 slip ups (soy makes me sick to my stomach and really dizzy). In December my Naturopath diagnosed me with a gluten intolance and advised me to avoid dairy. Since December I have been 100% gluten free and only have a tiny bit of butter every now and then for dairy.

Last week I saw a new Naturopath (my regular one is on maternity leave) and she told me to start taking 1 tbsp. of ground flax every day for the first part of my cycle to help regulate hormones. I was ok with flax for the first 5 days and since then have been sooooooo sick (I haven't felt this bad since last fall before I cut out gluten)!! Stomach started to get really upset, bloated, burping lots, horrible cramps and pain (which I rarely ever get stomach cramps) and then the nausea came! :( 4 days later I am still quite nauseous and yucky!

Does this sound like a flax intolerance? Or is flax somehow related to soy or be contaminated with gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hi! I have been soy free for almost a year now with about 5 slip ups (soy makes me sick to my stomach and really dizzy). In December my Naturopath diagnosed me with a gluten intolance and advised me to avoid dairy. Since December I have been 100% gluten free and only have a tiny bit of butter every now and then for dairy.

Last week I saw a new Naturopath (my regular one is on maternity leave) and she told me to start taking 1 tbsp. of ground flax every day for the first part of my cycle to help regulate hormones. I was ok with flax for the first 5 days and since then have been sooooooo sick (I haven't felt this bad since last fall before I cut out gluten)!! Stomach started to get really upset, bloated, burping lots, horrible cramps and pain (which I rarely ever get stomach cramps) and then the nausea came! :( 4 days later I am still quite nauseous and yucky!

Does this sound like a flax intolerance? Or is flax somehow related to soy or be contaminated with gluten?

Could be. My daughter is intolerant to flax but... We don't know what her symptoms were because she is intolerant to a lot of things and she never really ate all that much of it.

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

I developed an allergy to flax :( You could have an allergy, an intolerance or it could just be irritating to a sensitive/damaged Gi tract. Many things like seeds(including things like tomato seeds), nuts, corn and such can be irritating/difficult to digest.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: