This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzels

Adalaide

Adalaide Mentor

So I've found myself scrambling at the last minute to stock up on piles and piles of easy or ready to eat food and snacks for next Tuesday. (Yeah, I'm a dork but life stops in my house for Diablo 3.) I bought a whole bunch of Snyder's pretzels but decided that I'd get sick of the same thing all the time. So I've been spending my morning making chocolate-peanut butter covered pretzels. It's time consuming but a lot easier than I anticipated. Beyond melting the chocolate, which takes forever, I can just sit at the table and watch TV while I dip. My husband says they're too peanut-buttery but I think they could almost stand a bit more. (I have a love/love relationship with peanut butter, I love it and it loves my thighs.)

Anyway, for anyone with some time on their hands and looking for an alternative to $5 bags of chocolate covered pretzels, making your own is super easy and they're approximately 100 times more delicious. It could even be a fun girls night in thing to do with friends over. They're so easy to do I may even decide I love my husband enough to make him some. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Make some buckeyes. If you're a pb/chocoholic it doesn't get better than that.

I think my butt got bigger just typing that.

Adalaide Mentor

omg... never heard of those before but I'm in love now! Who needs a husband when there are buckeyes?

I can eat them til I hurl. Which happens a lot faster now - cant deal with all the sugar.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Adalaide, I've thought about doing this before because those chocolate covered Glutino pretzels are so stinkin' expensive.

Did you use salt free pretzels?

Adalaide Mentor

I used Snyder's pretzels which aren't salt free. I did an entire bag of the ones that look like little pretzels and half a bag of sticks. I crave salt morning, noon and night so I actually put sea salt on them before the chocolate got hard. If you can have salt, Snyder's pretzels are absolutely amazing. So much better than the Glutino ones and certified gluten free by some organization or another. They are from a facility that does peanut butter but that's the only allergy warning on them.

Funny. We are the reverse - we think the snyders have a weird powdery flavor/texture.

And normally I am not a Glutino fan.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fantasticalice Explorer

Have you ever done any reading on peanut butter? I no longer eat it.....

Went to a lecture on how our food is making us crazy....

If I don't make it, I don't eat it, and yes, I do like these pretzels but

I don't eat them any more. Not only does my 29 yr old have Celiac but HS as well.

We do so much better with whole foods! There is NO cure for either so we do it

with what we chose to put in our mouths!

The BEST thing I have learned to make of late it Kimchi! With Apple Cider Vinegar!

ALL your blemishes vanish after a week or so with 2-6 tablespoons of this stuff

a day.

Alice

Adalaide Mentor

That's great if sticking to whole foods works for you. It's not for me. (I have no desire to get into a debate about this, just period, not for me, it is beyond impossible for me to be swayed.) There are many different ways to deal with different illnesses and for me, part of how I've been sane the past four months is finding gluten free alternatives to some of my favorite foods.

I'll be spending all day Monday in my kitchen making snacks, preparing casseroles and such. I have already made sure I have everything I need to make buckeyes. I'm sure that everyone at the midnight release party will be quite jealous of my goodies and I'll be set to not do more than turn on an oven for a week. I think about half of my snacks involve peanut butter and/or chocolate. :lol:

Darn210 Enthusiast

I think about half of my snacks involve peanut butter and/or chocolate. :lol:

It's just one of those special combinations, isn't it?

I've got a good recipe for you. Quick and Easy. I'll dig it out and post it.

kareng Grand Master

That's great if sticking to whole foods works for you. It's not for me. (I have no desire to get into a debate about this, just period, not for me, it is beyond impossible for me to be swayed.) There are many different ways to deal with different illnesses and for me, part of how I've been sane the past four months is finding gluten free alternatives to some of my favorite foods.

I'll be spending all day Monday in my kitchen making snacks, preparing casseroles and such. I have already made sure I have everything I need to make buckeyes. I'm sure that everyone at the midnight release party will be quite jealous of my goodies and I'll be set to not do more than turn on an oven for a week. I think about half of my snacks involve peanut butter and/or chocolate. :lol:

I agree for me. I think many Celiacs do well with a few of the " gluten-free replacements". Most of the ones that do well, are not on here for more than a few weeks! :)

Now for the important reason for my post:

How do you make these? Do you melt pb in the chocolate? If you do a separate layer, how does the pb stay on when you dip the chocolate? I wish they made gluten-free " cigar" pretzels ( the big fat sticks). I melt chocolate in the microwave & it's quick.

Do you do those pb cookies with no flour and choc chips? Yummy!

Darn210 Enthusiast

Peanut Butter Bars

3/4 cup gluten-free graham cracker crumbs (I used Kinnikinnick S'moreables)

1 cup powdered sugar

1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter

1/2 cup butter

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Combine cracker crumbs and powdered sugar.

Melt peanut butter and butter.

Stir into crumb mixture.

Press into 8x8 pan.

Melt choc chips in microwave and stir till smooth.

Spread chocolate on top of peanut butter mixture.

Chill.

I find that they are easier to cut if you "score" the chocolate while it is still soft.

Taste like Reese's cups.

Adalaide Mentor

Kareng, I melt chocolate on the stove because deep down I must be a masochist. Once it's all melty and smooth I just start plopping in peanut butter a spoonful at a time until I like the flavor. I've also toyed with the idea of using peanut butter chips and drizzling that on top but it seems like a pointless extra step. I loved the huge fat pretzels and miss them, but I'm perfectly happy with what I have available. Maybe if enough of us annoy Snyder's or Glutino we could get some of the fat ones. Those would be awesome, it's completely reasonable (in my head) to dip those 4 or 5 times for a super thick layer of chocolate.

There are peanut butter cookies that don't take flour? I'm so baking tomorrow! I'll have to go shopping for graham crackers too. Looks like I may be busy over the weekend too instead of just on Monday.

Peanut butter bars, peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, pretzels, buckeyes... I may never buy Reese's again! Oh, and chocolate tapioca pudding with peanut butter chips and chocolate mouse with warm peanut butter sauce.

kareng Grand Master

Maybe we should change this to the "I love PB" thread?

These cookies freeze well. And taste good if you can't wait for them to thaw.

Emeril

kareng Grand Master

This is good but needs to be kept refridgerated. We made this when I was in kindergarden except we didnt have ziplock baggies back them.

Karen

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

You have GOT to stop talking about peanut butter....

:blink:

kareng Grand Master

You have GOT to stop talking about peanut butter....

:blink:

Sorry Bunny!

Peanut butter truffles

2 cups (11 & 1/5 oz ) milk chocolate chips

1/2 cup whipping cream

2 tablespoons

Sorry Bunny!

Peanut butter truffles

1/2 cup whipping cream

2 tablespoons

kareng Grand Master

One more! These are great but they are at thier best for about two days as the cookie bottom gets dry and crumbly. Haven't tried another mix or recipe for the bottom which might work better.

Open Original Shared Link

Thinking this thread should be called "Ode to Peanut butter and chocolate"

One more! These are great but they are at thier best for about two days as the cookie bottom gets dry and crumbly. Haven't tried another mix or recipe for the bottom which might work better.

Open Original Shared Link

Thinking this thread should be called "Ode to Peanut butter and chocolate"

Holy crap! Too many ingredients for me but I bet it's good (and would put me into a sugar coma).

alex11602 Collaborator

Sorry Bunny!

Peanut butter truffles

1/2 cup whipping cream

2 tablespoons

kareng Grand Master

Do you think you could use dark chocolate for this recipe? If you can I am definitely making them, I love peanut butter and chocolate!

Why not? All's fair in love and chocolate! :lol:

The pb might not shine thru with the stronger chocolate. You could marble some pb thru it when it is just starting to set. Hmmmm.....

alex11602 Collaborator

Why not? All's fair in love and chocolate! :lol:

The pb might not shine thru with the stronger chocolate. You could marble some pb thru it when it is just starting to set. Hmmmm.....

Guess I know what I'm making this weekend :)

Adalaide Mentor

Do you think you could use dark chocolate for this recipe? If you can I am definitely making them, I love peanut butter and chocolate!

I pretty much use dark chocolate for everything. If it doesn't taste peanut-buttery enough you can always add some peanut butter oil for flavor. I have a local baking supply store that sells it and lots of other interesting flavors but I'm sure it's available online too and isn't any more expensive than good vanilla.

Archived