1 reply to this topic

#1 Sunny600

Sunny600

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I was just wondering if folks have had the experience of, once going gluten-free, becoming aware of other food sensitivities you have, that before, when you were eating gluten, must have blunted other things. I honestly don't remember ever thinking I had any problems with ANYTHING, except maybe eating too much cheese or protein late in the evening, yet, now, two months after going gluten free, I am aware of not feeling so good after eating certain things--like sudden stomach cramps, or a tightness in my chest, or my throat getting all gummy. Did I just not notice because my body was so assaulted by gluten that these we minor in comparison (like when I had a bike wreck many years ago, I didn't notice that my wrist really hurt until all the other pains subsided), or am I really becoming more sensitive to other things?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

I was just wondering if folks have had the experience of, once going gluten-free, becoming aware of other food sensitivities you have, that before, when you were eating gluten, must have blunted other things. I honestly don't remember ever thinking I had any problems with ANYTHING, except maybe eating too much cheese or protein late in the evening, yet, now, two months after going gluten free, I am aware of not feeling so good after eating certain things--like sudden stomach cramps, or a tightness in my chest, or my throat getting all gummy. Did I just not notice because my body was so assaulted by gluten that these we minor in comparison (like when I had a bike wreck many years ago, I didn't notice that my wrist really hurt until all the other pains subsided), or am I really becoming more sensitive to other things?

It seems to be pretty common to have secondary intolerances once we are gluten-free. Dairy and soy seem to be at the top of the list?
Maybe gluten symptoms counteracted symptoms from something else, so you weren't aware?

It might also mean that you need to do more healing? With a "leaky gut" things can slip out into your blood stream and cause reactions? Once healed these reactions shouldn't happen.

If you find you start to react to things that you know you didn't have a problem with when first gluten-free, it's a good idea to get tested for a small intestine bacterial overgrowth. (SIBO) It's easy to test for and treat.

The best way to ferret out what you might be reacting to is to keep a log of all foods you eat, and note any symptoms. Many food reactions are delayed, so having a log is the best way to look back and see if there are patterns between eating certain foods and symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: