This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Substitutes For Margarine And Butter

Mateto

Mateto Enthusiast

Today I noticed when I ate it, it made my stomach queasy -- it never did before I was gluten free, maybe I just didn't notice because usually I'd eat butter with wheat bread? (It's a different feeling than being glutened) Anyhow, now I need a substitute because I like to bake - and I like butter on toast. I've read a few things I can use to substitute when baking, but what about for eating? What do you use other than butter or margarine, that tastes like butter and margarine?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom23boys Contributor

Just like with gluten subs, you will not find one that tastes exactly the same.

We like olive oil and the kids LOVE baked garlic as a spread on things.

For baking I will use canned pumpkin or applesauce in place of butter. (prefer the first)

Ginsou Explorer

I use Earth Balance for baking and eating....I'm allergic to gluten,soy,dairy and this is the best substitute for me. I also like coconut oil on my veggies and have adapted quite well to the flavor.

Mateto Enthusiast

Just like with gluten subs, you will not find one that tastes exactly the same.

We like olive oil and the kids LOVE baked garlic as a spread on things.

For baking I will use canned pumpkin or applesauce in place of butter. (prefer the first)

Canned pumpkin? Never tried that. I will. I replace with applesauce and yogourt, but I never knew you could use pumpkin.

Also, thanks for the olive oil suggestion. I've never tried that.

fantasticalice Explorer

You can use canned black beans to make cho chip cookies!

Whirled spinach or white beans...you name, it can and will replace FATS!

I only use EVOO. If you want it "hard" you put it in the freezer

and then whip the heck out of it and wa-la, you have EVOO Spread!

Easy peasy! Really good for making tamales, if so inclined!

You can simmer anything in EVOO to flavor it, 30 minutes is all

it takes. Try garlic or any herb. If you have friends growing pot

try putting the leaves of the plant in oil, I think you'd be

amazed at it's healing properties! I rub it on my knees and wrists.

So very many things to do with EVOO! 2 gallons at Costco for $20!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You might try ghee.

It depends on your problem with milk - but there's ghee out there that's certified casein and lactose free.

You can make your own, too.

benXX Rookie

on my bread I've always used mayonnaise I.s.o. butter, but that was before I went gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mateto Enthusiast

It's funny because I can have skimmed and partyl skim milk just fine...only margarine and butter upset me--which is odd!

Thanks for the suggestions! I am trying the olive oil, and I am going to look for the Earth Balance. I've seen it...picked it up and said "nah", but I think I was wrong there!

Now I need to see what ghee is.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Today I noticed when I ate it, it made my stomach queasy -- it never did before I was gluten free, maybe I just didn't notice because usually I'd eat butter with wheat bread? (It's a different feeling than being glutened) Anyhow, now I need a substitute because I like to bake - and I like butter on toast. I've read a few things I can use to substitute when baking, but what about for eating? What do you use other than butter or margarine, that tastes like butter and margarine?

I like Earth Balance soy free spread, or Nutivia coconut oil. I use them on veggies,etc.

I was surprised that I liked the coconut oil so well. It has a lot of health benefits too.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You may be having an issue with the fat part of the equation if skim products work for you.

If you have a problem with the oils - olive, coconut, etc. that's what I'd consider.

That may be a temporary healing phase or something else. Only time will tell.

Mateto Enthusiast

I hope it's just a phase...I've never noticed it before. Oh well, for now I'll just try different spreads. I think it's a fat-thing too, because the olive oil isn't doing any good for me either, which is strange -- last week I could eat it no problem :P OH how strange is the body!

fantasticalice Explorer

I think Pear might just have it right here?!

• 2 weeks later...
Simona19 Collaborator

I'm using this in my house:

Open Original Shared Link - the coconut spread (bread with coconut spread and jelly- I don't like it with meat because I feel like I'm eating cake, but with jelly-wow)

Open Original Shared Link - I don't know, if you can eat this, but unsalted butter tastes like the real thing (the closest from all spreads) to me. I'm using the unsalted margarine for cake fillings.

Open Original Shared Link - check the fridge. This don't tastes like butter, but is very good with ham, salami sandwiches. I'm using this also for baking, or in mashed potatoes.

Open Original Shared Link -They are to salty for me, but when the earth balance is out of stock, I will buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
Mateto Enthusiast

Pear WAS right. It was just part of the healing phase I think. I'm just fine with it now! Unbelievable. I hope I;m nto just turning into a hypochondriac :P

Archived