Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I'm Celiac... What To Have Son Tested For?

5 posts in this topic

I just found out last week that I have Celiac Disease. I am taking my son into the Doctor here shortly to get him tested. I am afraid that the doctor will not run all the tests necessary though. I would take my son to my Naturopath but she is booked out weeks and I am impatient to know.

Is it reasonable for me to demand a test for the gene? If so, what is that test called?

The appointment is in an hour so whoever can respond by then, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, the info is still good to have.

Ads by Google:

I just found out last week that I have Celiac Disease. I am taking my son into the Doctor here shortly to get him tested. I am afraid that the doctor will not run all the tests necessary though. I would take my son to my Naturopath but she is booked out weeks and I am impatient to know.

Is it reasonable for me to demand a test for the gene? If so, what is that test called?

The appointment is in an hour so whoever can respond by then, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, the info is still good to have.

How did your appointment go?

Sorry you did not get the answers you hoped for before you had to go.

It is certainly reasonable to ask for the genetic test, you just ask for genetic testing for celiac. The genetic test does not diagnose the disease, simply shows whether a person has the tendency towards it or not. The majority of people with the gene don't get the disease.

How old is your son? Some of the testing won't necessarily be accurate if your son is very young. Is your son having symptoms?

So sorry we missed your window.

You must be referring to the DQ2 DQ8 gene test. It is not conclusive. Only thirty percent of the people who carry the genes (associated, but not limited too), will go on to develop Celiac.

Many people can use the gene testing as a piece of the puzzle, when a true diagnosis has escaped them. And adding that with dietary results, many people here quite comfortable with a self diagnosis.

Hope you got good news.

How did your appointment go?

Sorry you did not get the answers you hoped for before you had to go.

It is certainly reasonable to ask for the genetic test, you just ask for genetic testing for celiac. The genetic test does not diagnose the disease, simply shows whether a person has the tendency towards it or not. The majority of people with the gene don't get the disease.

How old is your son? Some of the testing won't necessarily be accurate if your son is very young. Is your son having symptoms?

Thanks for asking. The Dr. wouldn't run the genetic test. He ordered the TTG and the Endomysial AB with reflex to titer and said that if my son (16 yrs old) has Celiac, that will come back positive. I tried to argue that my research showed that someone can test negative and if they carry the gene, it can be "activated" by a stressful event or virus later in life and I want to know if that is a possibility for him. The Dr. said NO, he either has it or he doesn't and the test will tell. If it is positive, he will then send my son for an endoscopy.

My son has 3 bowel movements a day and says they are normal. He is pretty fatigued and has lost 20 lbs this last year. For the month of January we went off bread products and dairy and all of a sudden my kid is getting up refreshed in the morning and making it to school on time. But that isn't enough for him to make the decision for himself to go off gluten or dairy. It's too tempting. It will take a Celiac diagnosis.

I tried to argue that my research showed that someone can test negative and if they carry the gene, it can be "activated" by a stressful event or virus later in life and I want to know if that is a possibility for him. The Dr. said NO, he either has it or he doesn't and the test will tell.

Hopefully, he meant that Celiac is either active or it's not. But the predisposition can exist, without being activated, in 30% of the people who possess the DQ2 and DQ8. As you know, it can react to a trigger of some sort.

You have done your homework. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/SingaporeCeliacs/
    • Today was the big day when I went to the GI and this is the first time I have felt heard and taken care of.  I told him about the two celiac blood tests  (in my first post) normal, he said that often happens, even with people who do have celiac and he needed to see the report and pictures from my endoscope.    I had filled out the appropriate Kaiser paperwork for Sutter to send all my medical records, but they ended up sending a disc with records to me, which Sutter said they could not use.  We also talked about gluten sensitivity v. celiac, and he said a lot of people are sensitive to gluten even if they don't have celiac. He said that my symptoms sound like classic IBS, which can be caused by any number of things.  He asked if I would try the FODMAP diet, which limits certain foods and requires no gluten. He said my symptoms sound like classic IBS, which he said can be caused by any number of things, including gluten sensitivity.  He has asked if I would try the FODMAP diet, which has restricted foods as well as no gluten because most gluten products have wheat in them.  So, since I am planning on going gluten free anyway, and I don't want another endoscope or blood tests if absolutely necessary, I am going to try the FODMAP diet and see what happens. I filled a consent form at the GI office today to have all my records sent to him so he can view the endoscope pathology report and photos.  I have an appointment with a Registered Dietician on September 30, and follow up appointment the GI in 4 months. 
    • gluten-free andee, according to an article on celiac.com  that talks about this subject see this link http://www.celiac.com/articles/24406/1/Celiac-Diease-and-Other-Autoimmune-Diseases-Equals-Low-Inflammatory-Diet/Page1.html Quoting the author "In the author's personal experience, a gluten-free diet has many limitations. The reactivity between alpha gliadin and corn, millet, oats, rice and dairy has been denounced as invalid by gastroenterologists and celiac disease researchers. While at a medical school in Missouri, biopsies did not show improvement in villous atropy until all alpha gliadin sources and corn, millet, rice and oats were removed from the diet."  Note this research is two years old but hilites the problem with non-gluten rice protein that you are having. It is the alpha gliadin sources that it causing the cross reactivity you are experiencing when you eat rice protein's. She says quoting "Celiac disease has gotten the most attention in antibody research, but the current data on cross-reactivity of antibodies is allowing a better understanding of gluten sensitivity. Antigen reactivity to alpha-gliadin can trigger immune attacks on many individuals beyond those with positive DQ 2, DQ 8 and TTG test results. She goes on to say "A low inflammatory diet customized to each person through testing for cross-reactivity or elimination diet protocols is needed to restore a state of health and well-being."  which sounds exactly like what you are doing. If you are still having problems after elminating rice a 30 day elimination of all the alpha gliadin proteins might be in order.  Corn is a common reactivity problem I hear with a gluten allergy from my friends as well as the obvious lactose problems that can be common among celiacs.  But rarely do you hear Rice allergy's brought up in context of a gluten allergy. I am glad you are making progress on finding your triggers. Read the whole article for yourself to see if there are nuggets of truth I did not highlight in my response. I hope this is helpful. Good luck on your journey to health. Posterboy,
    • One other thing - you might be able to tolerate some dairy if it's only the FODMAPs problem. I discovered that many cheese such as cheddar have effectively no lactose. And my wife sometimes makes 24 hour yoghurt, which also has effectively no lactose. Those have been fine for my tummy.
    • Celiacs got better gluten-free. Post-war, grains became available again and the same patients got sick again. 1952 the Gluten-Free Diet is officially ... View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Chelsealarita