149 replies to this topic

#16 Christine0125

Christine0125

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I was so proud of my husband. Someone at work was telling him about dominoes gluten free and he told her that I wouldn't be able to eat it unless it was in a dedicated oven. Since I am new to this it showed me he takes it seriously and understands it can't be half-a$$! Anyway, I think I will stick with our locally owned Toppings Pizza as they have a dedicated oven and virgin ingredients for their gluten free pizza... Plus the spinach artichoke white pizza on gluten-free crust rocks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 MNMAC

MNMAC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Dominos just made alot of celiacs' lives more complicated, in my case a co-worker was very excited and told me "from now on when we order pizza for lunch, we are definately going to Dominos so you can eat with us again". When I told her I wasn't quite sure it would be safe, she just stared at me and said "but they say its gluten free so you can eat it". I for one, as much as I used to love pizza, hope it flops or another pizza chain decides to do it the right way.

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Dominos just made alot of celiacs' lives more complicated, in my case a co-worker was very excited and told me "from now on when we order pizza for lunch, we are definately going to Dominos so you can eat with us again". When I told her I wasn't quite sure it would be safe, she just stared at me and said "but they say its gluten free so you can eat it". I for one, as much as I used to love pizza, hope it flops or another pizza chain decides to do it the right way.

.........and there it is.

but "they say it's gluten free!!!!"

I was wondering how this would impact the people who would have to deal with enthusiastic
but clueless co-workers who think this is "a great idea!!". :rolleyes:
It didn't take long for your post to show up.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 MNMAC

MNMAC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Yes, just when they stopped asking all the same questions all of us have answered again and again.

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Yes, just when they stopped asking all the same questions all of us have answered again and again.

I'd print out that huffington post article and paste it to their foreheads (or just keep it handy).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#21 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

A dedicated oven is not going to happen. There is just not enough volume. Commercial ovens are very expensive.

Proper preparation procedures, with clean prep areas and utensils, can work with a shared oven.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Did y'all watch the video?

Did you notice the crust is flat like all the other gluten-free crusts?

I swear, I've lost my love if pizza since gluten-free crust is flat. I liked crusts that would be thin and bubble up. Dominos wheat crust would do that. It wasn't super thin, though. But it did bubble.

I'm not even tempted (no bubble).

I keep wondering how much yeast I'd have to put in something to make it bubble....
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#23 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

A dedicated oven is not going to happen. There is just not enough volume. Commercial ovens are very expensive.

Proper preparation procedures, with clean prep areas and utensils, can work with a shared oven.

We (the generic "we," including those of us who do eat real gluten free pizza out from smaller restaurant venues and do not get glutened from this) know that a dedicated oven is not going to happen.

HOWEVER, a dedicated PIZZA PAN and all utensils and oven mitts touching the alleged gluten free pizza is obligatory, is as using all dedicated gluten free ingredients in a truly clean and dedicated work area !

C'mon, Peter, if some of these little California family chains can pull this off, why should we put up with this half- butt GFINA Gluten Free In Name Only effort from Dominos and the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness saying it's gluten free, but "don't eat the pizza because it's not really for celiacs?"

Big Props to the bloggers at HuffPo for their awareness of what gluten free means, and reporting on this issue !

More links~

HuffPo/ Domino's Launches Gluten Free Pizza Crust, With A Catch
http://www.huffingto..._n_1496408.html
Get a look at the short you tube video with the disclaimer NOT FOR CELIACS
the crust itself is made of water, rice starch, rice flour, potato starch, and olive oil, according to the video 5/7/12

NFCA sponsors and partners (Including major gluten-free food manufacturers and nationally known medical clinics)
http://www.celiaccen...rs-Partners/69/

USA Today story (must see comments, full of the usual gluten free trolls)
http://www.usatoday....izza/54793108/1

catch the comment under the USA Today from "Domino's Cares"

This is Phil from Domino's. Thank you for your comments, and for allowing us to clarify some things.

We acknowledge the fact that while Domino's Gluten Free Crust may be an option for those with mild gluten sensitivities, it is not recommended for customers with celiac disease. This is because of the handcrafted nature of our products in our stores, as stated above. Domino's is committed to being open and informative about this product so that gluten sensitive consumers can make informed decisions about whether Domino's Gluten Free Crust is for them.

This includes a disclaimer placed on all marketing materials:

Domino's Gluten Free Crust Disclaimer:
Dominos pizza made with a Gluten Free Crust is prepared in a common kitchen with the risk of gluten exposure. The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness supports the availability of Dominos Gluten Free Crust, but cannot recommend the pizza for customers with celiac disease. Customers with gluten sensitivities should exercise judgment in consuming this pizza.

Plus a video on YouTube about the product at http://youtu.be/2ZXHU5sXAfA. You can also read more detail in our press release, which can be found here: http://www.prnewswir...150407075.html.

Thanks for your comments, and please let us know if you have any questions!

Phil

Phil says in the video to go to thinkoven.com, but that is nothing but a very lame facebook page running contests for ideas, I would not bother. However, there is a discussion thread on the facebook page for Domino's right now, where most of the comments are not positive. If you already had a facebook account, an opinion could be left there, otherwise, this is just more gathering of names from the company, and they need to be discussed in many venues as to why this is wrong, as an educational tool.
https://www.facebook.com/Dominos

No, Phil, I will not be eating your cross contaminated "gluten free" pizza, when other restaurants make such a better effort to provide safe gluten free dining. BJ's, Steve's, Mary's Pizza Shack, 7 Sisters.....

HA! I just ran this info past my non gluten free husband who eats gluten free at home, and sometimes out at restaurants when we share items, and he said, "Why bother ?" :P

Some of the facebook comments on the Domino's facebook site are a wee bit... indignant.

Kelly May - Dominos apparently knows they are in the wrong. I made a post directly to their wall regarding their cross contamination issues and they deleted my post! Wasn't rude or vulgar either...just a simple explanation of why they really can't call it gluten free.
5 hours ago via mobile 4

Kristin Jung Dorn - It's no longer gluten-free if it comes into contact with a surface that has not been cleared of flour, or a sauce ladle that touched a "regular" crust. Good attempt, Domino's, but it's not worth the risk for me. Please don't call it Gluten Free when it isn't safe for Celiac's. TY.
5 hours ago 5

Sarah Powers Poliseo - Another big company trying to cash in on the gluten-free train. Please educate yourselves Domino's. (WWW.csaceliacs.info) before you label something gluten free that CLEARLY is not. Outrageous! Absurd!

Suzanne Johnson As a celiac, I will not be eating this pizza. With all the disclaimers and no mention that anyone in your kitchens has actually been trained on this, and with no dedicated prep area, it's pretty clear you're selling only to those who have not received a celiac diagnosis. I'd like to say "nice try" and "thanks for thinking of us," but you must have known this going in so it's really a "fail" for claiming to have gluten-free pizza.
4 hours ago 5

Angela Hockenberry Thanks for the thought of Gluten Free but it is not gluten-free once it is cross Contaminated. I think if Dominos Offered a gluten-free Pizza they should open a gluten-free Store for all who are celiac intolerant etc. it would be profitable
4 hours ago 2

<_< :blink: :ph34r:

Oh, and if you have twitter, here is Domino's Pizza Twitter Feed
http://twitter.com/#!/dominos

#24 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

Oh, and if you have twitter, here is Domino's Pizza Twitter Feed
http://twitter.com/#!/dominos

Wow, just took a look. That's where I'm spending the rest of my evening. One at a time. <snicker>

Made a few tweet <_<
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#25 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Takala, I don't understand. You seem to agree with me on the facts, but post a lengthy rebuttal. I did not comment on Domino's either way.

My comment was generic with regard to the idea of dedicated ovens. There are a number of establishments offering gluten-free pizza in Canada and the United States. To my knowledge, none of them have dedicated ovens.

I have personally eaten gluten-free pizza from Il Fornello, Pizza Pizza, and Boston Pizza, without problems. None of them have dedicated ovens, but they all take appropriate precautions to minimize (but not absolutely eliminate) the chance of contamination. Pizza Pizza worked with the Canadian Celiac Association to develop their handling procedures. The CCA endorses them, even though they do not have dedicated ovens. Il Fornello is a Toronto-area chain with many gluten-free options. They are very celiac disease aware, but again, the oven is shared. I have frequented them for more than ten years.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#26 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Peter, I was agreeing with you. But I am rather dismayed that these non profit "celiac orgs" and trade groups like National Foundation for Celiac Awareness somehow get associated with this newest version of "GFINO" from Domino's. The Domino's video I saw had their "sticker" on it, saying the NFCA did not recommend this for celiacs. Most common people are not going to hear this properly, and be sort of confused. Domino's guy Phil is implying that if NFCA says "don't eat this if you're celiac" then what they are doing at Domino's is otherwise okay in the gluten free community.
It makes it seem more faddish and trivial, and so many of us are trying to make it serious so we can all help each other to be healthy (and find safe food to eat.)
This drives most of the sensitive people sort of wild down here in the lower American Boondocks.

#27 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

I got so excited when I saw the headline that I was pretty pissy when I saw that they come right out and say they make zero effort to even try to keep it safe for anyone. I emailed them saying as much. While the effort could be commendable, they clearly are bandwagoning for profit and don't give a hoot about whether or not it's safe.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#28 sharilee

sharilee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

"Domino's and the NFCA found that while the crust is certified as gluten free, current store operations at Domino's cannot guarantee that each handcrafted pizza will be completely free from gluten," the company's news release said."

http://www.celiac.co...crust-cbs-news/

I hate these pseudo gluten-free menus. It confuses the non- gluten-free people who think we can eat at these places because they have the gluten-free menu.

I was excited to see Dominos offering gluten free pizza and then when I read the article and saw it said it would not be safe for people with celiac disease I was disappointed. I hate these pseudo gluten free menus too and all the pseudo gluten free products. People with celiac are getting lost in this gluten free fad. That is why I don't eat out, don't eat prepakaged food. That way I know I am not eating pseudo gluten free.

Positive blood work July 2011
Negative Endoscopy August 2011
Positive Endoscopy February 23, 2012
Celiac Diagnosis February 23, 2012
Gluten Free since February 24, 2012

Shari

#29 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

I hate when companies do this....it makes it hard for us who have celiac because it makes non-celiac people think that we can eat everywhere, and they get confused. Of they just think we are crazy, because "come on if it says "gluten free" you can eat it!" "stop being so picky" "quit trying to get so much attention" all of those kinds of comments by uneducated people I know, who I try to educate. But now dominos is gonna go ruin it for me again by trying to gain popularity points with the new gluten free fad diet people....whatever I hope their "gluten-free" pizza doesn't succeed. It's gonna hurt people who are new celiacs and don't understand CC and it hurts us celiacs by making life harder for us socially. :(

#30 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

I don't think we can expect dedicated ovens. I do think we should expect fresh toppings, not the cheese they have been putting their flour laden hands in. Locally, Minskys is certified and had training to make gluten-free pizza. They get fresh ingredients from the fridge for the gluten-free pizzas. They put them in the ovens with a 15 in (?) space between them and other pizzas. I have found several " gluten-free" pizza places make the gluten-free pizzas with the same toppings as the regular pizzas. I tried to explain to one place that the cheese was full of flour from the cooks pulling out dough then sticking this rands in the cheese. They just kept saying, " But they use fresh gloves for the gluten-free pizza".

I hope these pizzas aren't around long. Next Robotics season, the lunch parents will order Dominos thinking they can get a pizza for me, too. I hate to tell someone their nice gesture isn't OK.

Godfathers does a gluten-free pizza ( or they did recently). It's OK. They get them frozen and ready to cook in about 3 choices. They have special pans & utensils. That seems the safest for a fast food pizza.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: