#46 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Thank you so much for doing this.

NFCA response so far is not giving confidence that their intent is "patient" advocacy, if any company can get the "amber" sticker and use it to retail items which are Gluten Free In Name Only, but then the company is targeting marketing to those seeking gluten free food. <_<

NFCA's twitter feed, if anyone wants to see some more spin on this PR clusterglutenuck as they respond to comments (bet they are deleting some of them).
http://twitter.com/#!/CeliacAwareness @CeliacAwareness

Now they're claiming they need blogger outreach to spread the word that "Amber designation means kitchen practices may vary, so it's important to ask questions and consider your needs."

I would be more than happy to spread the word that an "Amber" designation and logo from NFCA means that the item is not really gluten free, and can make celiacs and true gluten intolerants with auto immune reactions quite sick.

What does NFCA stand for, Not For Celiacs All-the-time ? Why are they then using the word Celiac in their name, and then the phrase "mild gluten sensitivity?" as a possible acceptable category of consumer safety ?

The Amber designation by NFCA does have a use after seeing what /who they give it to (Domino's bs attempt at gluten-free).

It helps me identify where I WON'T eat.

So yes, please, restaurants go out and get certified so I know NOT to eat there. Do they have an Amber list? I want it! I can enter them into my map bookmarks under "do not eat there".

So see, all is not lost. I don't even have to go to the restaurant, or call and ask about gluten-free. NFCA did it for me and I know NOT TO EAT AT AMBER RESTAURANTS because these are restaurants that have already stated (by earning this prestigious Amber designation) they DON'T HANDLE FOOD SAFELY FOR PEOPLE WITH CELIAC.

See?

I'm going to go have a drink now, and feel sorry for the people in PR @ NFCA.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Oscar

Oscar

Grouch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Let me see if I understand this.

There are places that offer a pizza crust that does not have any gluten, but who are HONEST in telling us that the contamination risk is likely too high for those with celiac disease.

The NFCA rates them "amber."

We then slam them for being HONEST. While those of us with celiac disease probably can not safely eat there, there are some who may be able to. For them, this information is useful.

I guess that being HONEST and making FULL DISCLOSURE is a BAD thing. That sucks, big time.
"The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency. Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at the same time?" ~ Gerald R. Ford

Posted Image

#48 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

There are places that offer a pizza crust that does not have any gluten, but who are HONEST in telling us that the contamination risk is likely too high for those with celiac disease.

We then slam them for being HONEST. While those of us with celiac disease probably can not safely eat there, there are some who may be able to. For them, this information is useful.

I guess that being HONEST and making FULL DISCLOSURE is a BAD thing. That sucks, big time.

What makes me grouchy is - how will we know it's an "amber" rating? We see gluten-free and think its gluten-free not gluten lite. We might have caught it here , but other places say NFCA certified gluten-free & we think it's safe. If they said "NFCA certified amber level" or "NFCA certifie gluten lite", then we would know. Being "certified" conveys an amount of security that they have had training and are following procedures to make the food gluten-free.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#49 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I completely agree I wish that they wouldn't have labeled the crust gluten-free! Because after being cc with the oven, screens, and utensils. It just like when you pick up a box of cereal, that looks like it could be gluten-free then you start reading the ingredients and there at the bottom in the fine print it says Warning processed and packaged in the same factory as wheat. Maybe even worse than that. I know that I loved Domino's pizza, I worked there and gained like 20 lbs from eating the food. I will miss it, I have often thought about going back to work there but now that's out of the question, just the dust in the air could make me sick.

#50 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

I'm absolutely thrilled Domino's is being honest.

I don't see the point in doing what they are doing, the way they are doing it -except to cash in on the gluten-free "diet" trend. But I'm very glad they are being honest (they'd have to be, eventually, when people publicly slammed them for glutening them, so yes it was better to be honest).

I do hope NFCA publishes an Amber list - because it will save a lot of people a lot of time and misery.

I thought this was an excellent blog post http://www.spinnings...minos-does.html

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#51 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Well, your blog does not exist. Is Domino's being honest when their headline uses the term "gluten-free crust" in it? Do you really think that when college celiacs call in to order it that they are going to read a disclaimer to them and let them know that the end product really isn't gluten-free? Also, what is the NCFA's role? Is it to help big corporations launch psuedo-gluten-free products so they can make a lot of money, or is it to serve their celiac base, as their name indicates?

I am actually posting again because there are reports that Domono's is deleting all negative posts on their Facebook page. I urge everyone here to help verify this fact by going there an posting how you feel about their new "gluten-free" pizza: http://www.facebook.com/Dominos
Please report back here what post you made, and whether it was deleted.

Take care,
Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#52 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Well, your blog does not exist. Is Domino's being honest when their headline uses the term "gluten-free crust" in it? Do you really think that when college celiacs call in to order it that they are going to read a disclaimer to them and let them know that the end product really isn't gluten-free? Also, what is the NCFA's role? Is it to help big corporations launch psuedo-gluten-free products so they can make a lot of money, or is it to serve their celiac base, as their name indicates?

I am actually posting again because there are reports that Domono's is deleting all negative posts on their Facebook page. I urge everyone here to help verify this fact by going there an posting how you feel about their new "gluten-free" pizza: http://www.facebook.com/Dominos
Please report back here what post you made, and whether it was deleted.

Take care,
Scott

Hmmm...I edited it and it seems to work. It isn't my blog post - its one I found while reading NFCA Twitter feed.

I haven't looked at Domino's FB today but they were deleting huge chunks of posts overnight (Monday to Tuesday). When I last looked Monday there were 700+ posts and there were 100+ Tuesday. The posts left were a mix of positive/negative and seemed to be the most recent but they could have been deleting based on other criteria, I don't know.

I'm going to call my local Dominos and see what they say about ordering a gluten-free pizza. I'll get back to ya.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#53 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Ok.

So I called my local store and told them I wanted a gluten-free pizza. He said ok. I asked about gluten-free toppings and he didn't know and asked me to hold for the cook.

I asked the cook about the gluten-free toppings. He said he thought they were all gluten-free. I said I needed to know for sure. So he grabbed his list of gluten-free toppings and told me the one that isn't gluten-free. I asked if they are using toppings from the bins from gluten pizzas and he said yes. He said they have "this thing" they're supposed to read to tell people it isn't suitable for Celiacs - he said he doesn't really understand it but he thinks it's just for people who want gluten-free for "dietary reasons". I asked "like Kim K and Miley?" and he said yes :).

I told him the earlier guy on the phone didn't read me that statement, and thanked him for explaining it all to me.

The end.

I have read that if you order online you get a big caution statement about cc, etc. I guess the same thing he was supposed to read to me?

As far as the honesty thing - I think they are being honest at launch. Probably honest when you order online. But as suspected, the stores are not up to speed.

Do I think them having any rating is bs? Yeah. But if they keep the stupid rating around I'll use it to eliminate places that are unsafe - so for me there's a use.

I predict the rating will flop and disappear because it will be associated with the Domino's Debacle. I mean, do you really want your target market to associate you with unsafe food? Because that's what those restaurants are saying with the Amber rating - they refuse to take proper precautions.

Like I said, I don't envy the NFCA PR people. At all. Domino's doesn't care and is loving the PR.

The NFCA site is scripting it as "we're helping you discern safety" and Domino's and other writers are playing it as if they just received a thumbs up - a certification that they did something right instead of achieving a rating that says "we're in it for the weight loss people".

I don't know if NFCA was aiming the Amber alert for "dieters" but they just defined the rating by giving it to Domino's.

Big. PR. Debacle.

Edit: I just went through the ordering process online. They do give a warning when you choose the crust; however, the Philly Steak meat the guy on the phone told me was NOT gluten-free is an option on the gluten-free crust, without a warning it contains gluten. I've yet to locate a list of gluten-free toppings, perhaps because I'm on a mobile device - I'll try it some time on a computer.

Second Edit:
Found this on the NFCA website http://www.celiaccen...tomer-FAQs/679/

Note it says the Philly Steak meat, Alfredo Sauce and Cheddar Sauce are not gluten-free. When I compare that to the online ordering options on Domino's I only find Philly Steak as an option. Is white sauce=Alfredo? Is cheddar cheese=cheese sauce? I don't even see the gluten sauces as options for gluten pizzas.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#54 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

I just posted on Dominos FB page and kept a copy of what I wrote. I'll be checking back to see if they delete my post.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#55 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,801 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

I just posted on Dominos FB page and kept a copy of what I wrote. I'll be checking back to see if they delete my post.

I tweeted about ten times the other day @Dominos. I expect they are also gone.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#56 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

I tweeted about ten times the other day @Dominos. I expect they are also gone.

When I posted just 25 minutes ago, there were 274 comments. There are now 268. No question they are deleting posts they consider unfavorable. I'm sure it's just a matter of time until they delete mine.
Sylvia

#57 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Here's my first post on Dominos FB page (posted a couple of hours ago). It seems to have "disappeared":

"I have celiac disease and find it an abomination that a company like Dominos would come out with a pseudo gluten-free pizza. It will not be safe for me or anyone else diagnosed with celiac. While the crust may indeed be gluten-free, the risk of cross-contamination is just too great. I wouldn't trust the prep, the ovens or the knowledge of employees to prepare anything that would be even remotely safe for me to eat. Sorry Dominos...I am not on this diet because I want to be. It is a matter or life or death. Total bummer that you have to jump on the gluten-free bandwagon just because it's the latest diet craze."

And my second one posted a few minutes ago:

"It takes a big company to handle the good, the bad and the ugly and want honest input from consumers. Sadly Dominos is not one of them. So if a post is unfavorable, it's deleted pronto. And that's shameful!!!"
Sylvia

#58 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

They are not going to leave any negative comments! That would affect sales.

I just read what you posted Sylvia and all the other comments and there are more glowing kuddos and "thank you's" than any reasonable posts from celiacs like us.

One celiac even said "I do not have reactions to a little CC, so I can eat this"...wtf?? even Celiacs do not get it.

Let them eat it then.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#59 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

What makes me grouchy is - how will we know it's an "amber" rating? We see gluten-free and think its gluten-free not gluten lite. We might have caught it here , but other places say NFCA certified gluten-free & we think it's safe. If they said "NFCA certified amber level" or "NFCA certifie gluten lite", then we would know. Being "certified" conveys an amount of security that they have had training and are following procedures to make the food gluten-free.

EXACTLY. I am feeling a little grouchy about this too...

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#60 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

While we should be angry with Dominos. we should be furious with the NFCA! They know that we will see a restaurant proudly displaying thier symbol and a "Certified by NFCA" and assume its as safe as it gets. Even if it says "Amber designation form NCFA" who would know that is anything to worry about? Most Celiacs are not on C.com or any other newsletter. How would they even know about this issue?

Is there a way we can email NFCA to express our displeasure with this "Amber" designation? (sounds more civilized than what I wanted to say :angry: ) I don't have time right now to check for an email.

Disclaimer: Don't get on me for saying "assume". I know most people active on this Forum would ask questions. I'm thinking of all the Celiacs that are not active on forums, too.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: