149 replies to this topic

#61 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

While we should be angry with Dominos. we should be furious with the NFCA! They know that we will see a restaurant proudly displaying thier symbol and a "Certified by NFCA" and assume its as safe as it gets. Even if it says "Amber designation form NCFA" who would know that is anything to worry about? Most Celiacs are not on C.com or any other newsletter. How would they even know about this issue?

Is there a way we can email NFCA to express our displeasure with this "Amber" designation? (sounds more civilized than what I wanted to say :angry: ) I don't have time right now to check for an email.

Disclaimer: Don't get on me for saying "assume". I know most people active on this Forum would ask questions. I'm thinking of all the Celiacs that are not active on forums, too.

I can't find an email specific to this issue, but take your pick here http://www.celiaccen...Team-Staff/30/.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

I can't find an email specific to this issue, but take your pick here http://www.celiaccen...Team-Staff/30/.

Contact Information for NFCA:
http://www.celiaccen.../Contact-Us/28/
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#63 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

I asked the cook about the gluten-free toppings. He said he thought they were all gluten-free. I said I needed to know for sure. So he grabbed his list of gluten-free toppings and told me the one that isn't gluten-free. I asked if they are using toppings from the bins from gluten pizzas and he said yes. He said they have "this thing" they're supposed to read to tell people it isn't suitable for Celiacs - he said he doesn't really understand it but he thinks it's just for people who want gluten-free for "dietary reasons". I asked "like Kim K and Miley?" and he said yes

So we are only one week into launch, training is supposed to have been done according to the NFCA, and this is what we get? Imagine a year from now???

I am for starting a campaign to pressure Domino's to stop using the term "gluten-free", and for pressuring the NFCA to remove Domino's certification...who is with me?

Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#64 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

I am definitely with you on this one, Scott. The whole thing disgusts me.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#65 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

1) if anyone is serious about tracking this debacle (I find it interesting from a case study perspective) you need to start taking screen shots of the NFCA site pages, press releases, specifically the pages about their certification, twitter, FB.

2) ditto on Domino's site, FB, twitter, etc.

You'll notice things.....change.

My beef with the whole thing is that the Amber certification is worthless EXCEPT to tell me a restaurant has been informed of what needs to be done and refuses to do it.

Furthermore, what Domino's is doing isn't "risking" cc, it's GUARANTEEING cc. You are guaranteeing cc when you double-dip those bins and use the same cutters. How is that crust different from a SALAD made from cc'd bins? It isn't. So they are certified to take gluten-free ingredients and contaminate them.

I don't see how anyone with a gluten issue can eat at Domino's with any feeling of safety since there's no way to determine HOW MUCH cc there is in each pizza, each time one is made. I wouldn't risk illness to figure it out, personally. But that's their decision.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#66 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Here's the latest from NFCA on why they did what they did.

http://www.celiaccen...ten-free-crust/

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#67 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

So both Domino's and the NFCA are now deleting negative comments, although Domino's is doing it way more. Can you all please:
  • Make comments at both sites about how you feel, and take screen shots of them and post them here if they get deleted? To take a screen shot there is a print screen button on your key board, and some may need to hit the function/print screen buttons at the same time. Then you can paste the photo by using the Control-V buttons.
  • http://www.facebook.com/Dominos
  • http://www.facebook.com/NFCeliacAwareness
Let's document this bad behavior for an upcoming article. If both parties are so sure about this, then why are dozens, if not hundreds of comments getting deleted from their Facebook pages?
Scott Adams
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#68 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

I don't have a Facebook but I am so angry that they are deleting everyone's comments. They're just too scared to stand up and say they made a mistake so they're gonna delete the TRUTH off of their Facebook page and make us look bad. I think we should boycott dominoes. Obviously we already don't eat there but our families might. I'm upset they're doing this and something needs to be done to stop it!

#69 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

I not much of a FB user, but I have a question. When I just pull up the comments for the last posts, my first comment does not show up, which tells me it has been deleted. When I log in, it does show up. Do they make posts invisible except to the poster? Surprisingly my last comment is still there and hasn't yet been deleted.

Here's the direct link
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#70 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

I not much of a FB user, but I have a question. When I just pull up the comments for the last posts, my first comment does not show up, which tells me it has been deleted. When I log in, it does show up. Do they make posts invisible except to the poster? Surprisingly my last comment is still there and hasn't yet been deleted.

Here's the direct link

You may have a FB setting not allowing your posts to be seen by non-friends, or on the web, etc. But I doubt that's the case since one shows up and not the other.

You may see it on YOUR profile, but not Domino's because they deleted it, not YOU.

You may experiment by posting on a friend's page, asking them to delete it and see what happens. Then again, "friends" may have a different option.

I have noticed Domino's numbers don't add up - memorize the last post and number of posts and go back later. The number says 4 more posts but you only see 2 under the last post you memorized. It may be privacy settings or edits - who knows. I think business pages may have additional options than user profiles.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#71 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

You may have a FB setting not allowing your posts to be seen by non-friends, or on the web, etc. But I doubt that's the case since one shows up and not the other.

You may see it on YOUR profile, but not Domino's because they deleted it, not YOU.

You may experiment by posting on a friend's page, asking them to delete it and see what happens. Then again, "friends" may have a different option.

I have noticed Domino's numbers don't add up - memorize the last post and number of posts and go back later. The number says 4 more posts but you only see 2 under the last post you memorized. It may be privacy settings or edits - who knows. I think business pages may have additional options than user profiles.

It's not on my profile at all. It probably would only be there if I'd friend them. That ain't gonna happen. And why one post shows up and the other doesn't is puzzling. If you pull up the link, can you see either of my posts?

As you can tell I'm not a FB person...basically I'm only on because I want to see what my kids are up to.

Edit: My first post was made just before the "yuck" comment (about 6 hours ago)

Edited by sa1937, 10 May 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#72 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Here is me: (don't know how to photo)

Lisa

Alice, I fear this is a very bad partnership. Perhaps a name change is in order to - National Foundation for Gluten Sensitivily Awareness. I feed kind of sold out here!
2 minutes ago · Like · 2

And on Dominio's:

If the gluten free pizza is not suitable for those of us with Celiac Disease, then why is the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness endorsing this product?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#73 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

It's not on my profile at all. It probably would only be there if I'd friend them. That ain't gonna happen. And why one post shows up and the other doesn't is puzzling. If you pull up the link, can you see either of my posts?

As you can tell I'm not a FB person...basically I'm only on because I want to see what my kids are up to.

Edit: My first post was made just before the "yuck" comment (about 6 hours ago)

I could see the short post, not the long one.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#74 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Screen shots are best...please try to take them of the comments you made...and post them here.
Scott Adams
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#75 hexon

hexon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

While I like that companies are finally starting to develop a market for their gluten-free audience, the NFCA should have made more effort to educate dominos on prep practices before they ever gave them any kind of certification. Consumers aren't aware of different certification levels, and neither are the individuals who will most likely be ordering food for those of us with celiac disease or NCGI. "Gluten-free" shouldn't have different certification levels. It's either free of gluten or it's not, no in-between. If companies wish to use the term "gluten-free," the standards should be indicative of the end product and not whatever it starts out with. If people were guaranteed their food was poop free, but the restaurant stated that someone could have accidentally pooped on it at any stage in the cooking process I highly doubt anyone would want to touch it.

I'm actually glad we are able to see that the company is deleting posts. This shows that they are acknowledging that many of their consumer base has an issue with their new product. They actually came out today with a new post on FB defending their gluten-free pizza, saying it may not be for everyone. However, this does show that they company doesn't have very high moral standards and is unwilling to address the issue at hand. If they are that worried about negative comments then FIX THE PROBLEM, instead of pretending it doesn't exist. I'm also glad they inform people upon placing an order that the pizza is not safe for people with celiac disease, but some consumers may just see this as a "cover your butt" statement to avoid lawsuits and order it anyways. When I visited my local gluten-free bakery yesterday I told them about the new domino's pizza, but informed her that they use the same equipement. Her replay was, "that's not really gluten-free." So I think, in the end, it's ultimately up to us to spread awareness of the issues and pressure companies to change their practices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: