149 replies to this topic

#91 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

That's fine if they call it something other than gluten free and it is not endorsed by any celiac organization.

This is what got me all "hot under the collar" as well.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 jess_gf

jess_gf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

Just wanted to add, if you're using a Mac you can take two types of screenshots: Shift-Cmd-3 will take a screenshot of your whole screen and save it to your desktop. Shift-cmd-4 will take a screenshot of an area that you select on your screen, and then save it to your desktop. Since image attachments don't seem to be working correctly on the forums, you can use a hosting service like http://tinypic.com/ or http://imageshack.us/ to upload them.
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

#93 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

from Dr. Fasano:

http://somvweb.som.u...tes/?a=1873&z=5

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#94 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

Bravo, Dr. Fasano!

#95 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

I posted Dr. Fasano's press release on the Domino's facebook page. Wonder how long before they delete it!

#96 hexon

hexon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I posted Dr. Fasano's press release on the Domino's facebook page. Wonder how long before they delete it!

I don't see it so I'm assuming it got deleted. It's really annoying seeing lots of negative comments and then look back the next day and seeing tons of positive comments. It's just dishonest.

#97 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Good job, Babs! :D

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#98 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,235 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

From Gluten Intolerance Group FB :

Open Letter to Alice Bast, Exec Director, NFCA

May 12, 2012
Alice,
NFCA needs to remove the Amber designation from the Dominos "gluten-free" pizza. It is not safe for anyone requiring a gluten-free diet for medical reasons. NFCA's reputation as a respected organization is suffering by giving a useless Amber designation to Domino's gluten-free pizza. I implore you to consider the community we all support and want to help. Make the GREAT Kitchen's Amber designation disappear for good.
There is inherent liability in the GREAT Kitchens Amber designation that will have serious ramifications to the food industry and those of us who are working to make a difference for all persons living gluten free.
1. Dividing the gluten free community is wrong. All persons living a gluten-free life style should have the same safe options in foods. Nearly the entire world accepts a definition for what gluten-free means. Stricter is better, but less than the standard is unacceptable. It goes against everything science tells us.
2. The GREAT Kitchens Amber sign is a useless designation for restaurants that causes confusion and consequently mistrust of the restaurant industry and the organizations who are working so hard to help them. The Amber designation sets us back years on all the strides we have made to get the food industry to embrace safe gluten-free foods.

Thursday night I listened to the Jules' Gluten-Free Radio talk show with you as her guest. I have tried to make sense of your position for the GREAT Kitchens program Amber designation. I cannot understand why you are so passionate about a decal that sends mixed messages. The decal clearly states "GLUTEN-FREE" and 'Kitchen practices may vary". In a press release, you state NFCAs GREAT Kitchens Amber designation is for "restaurants offering gluten free products with varying kitchen practices, therefore suitable for those with gluten sensitivity." Yet the description of the program on your website states, "Amber Designation ...requires ingredient verification and basic training of wait staff and managers." Kitchen practices may vary ... meaning those with celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity should ask questions and exercise judgment when dining at an establishment with an Amber Designation." These are two very different messages about the Amber designation.

Your biography states you are someone who is widely regarded as a celiac expert. I know you also attend many scientific meetings on gluten-related disorders. As such, your position that the Amber designation is helpful is even more alarming.

The GREAT Kitchen's Amber designation sends a confusing and dangerous message to gluten-free consumers, yet you stand boldly and confidently behind it. I would be concerned about a malpractice suit.

As a national leader and dietitian, representing consumers with gluten-related disorders, I feel the GREAT Amber designation is not only dangerous, but also irresponsible. Eventually this program will hurt our constituents.

I feel NFCA's messages related to what the Amber designation means for Domino's gluten-free pizza crust, compared to statements on your website and by Domino's are confusing. What does this really mean to consumers? Is it gluten-free or not? The sign says it is; the message says it is not. The sign does not say "not safe for celiacs, but may be ok for gluten sensitive persons". The sign does not say, "Buyer Beware." The sign does not say what you said on Jules' radio show about its meaning, or what Dominos disclaimer says. So if the disclaimer is not with the sign or gluten-free pizza crust, what do you think an unaware consumer is going to think?

I believe it would have been better for NFCA to tell Dominos that the cross contamination of the gluten free crust is too great and that NFCA cannot endorse such a product as gluten free. Why would NFCA work to raise awareness of cross contamination by endorsing a cross-contaminated product?

Every time I read someone's post that they have no symptoms when eating Domino's gluten-free pizza, I cringe and get angry. We have all heard the medical experts say many times that 'a lack of symptoms is NOT indicative of a lack of damage being done internally'. This is a major lawsuit waiting to happen. Stop using the GREAT Kitchen Amber designation now.

The celiac centers are also telling you this is a bad idea. Please listen to us all.

I hope that unnecessary harm will be adverted by NFCA taking immediate corrective action.
Cynthia Kupper, RD, GIG Executive

dancing-turkey.gif

#99 bakerboysmama

bakerboysmama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

On gaurd celiacs! Dominos adventure into gluten free cooking is dangerous...What safegaurds them from lawsuits is in their manual, stating that it is only to be referred to as a "gluten-free crust". Once that crust leaves the wrapper it is no longer a safe gluten-free pizza. Upon visiting a local Dominos I witnessed first hand the preparation process. The gluten-free pizza crust was on a shelf where all other gluten containing items were. They use the same topping buckets, utensils, spoons, pizza cutters, and spatulas. I was horrified!
This stunt sets gluten free standards back and dummies down the seriousness of a safe gluten-free environment. Watch out, others will be joining in soon. This will make it 10 times more difficult for Celiacs and Gluten intolerant people to safely enjoy gluten-free dining in a safe and healthy way. If a standard is raised and met by domino's they will be my hero...If they do not, they will be hurting hundreds of thousands of people...unforgivable!

#100 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

I agree...big companies like this want to cash in now on the gluten-free market, even if they can't really offer something gluten-free. I still can't believe that the NFCA backs this, but am really glad to see Dr. Fasano and the GIG take the correct side here, as this is really a serious set back, rather than a step forward. I don't think that Domino's understands that McDonald's was sued for much less than what is going on here when they used to call their French fries gluten-free (which they likely are, but they have wheat in a flavoring ingredient in the hydrolyzed form--and the do use dedicated vats, at least by company policy). Anyway, McDonald's quit using the term "gluten-free" on their fries after that. In this case the contamination issues are already known--Domino's admits it up front--yet they are still using the term. They'd better get all people who buy this to sign a waiver, as I can smell a lawsuit coming!
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#101 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

On change.org there is a "Ditch the Amber" petition protesting the NFCA's promotion of Domino's "faux gluten-free" pizza: www.change.org/petitions/ditch-nfca-s-amber-designation#

See also the GIG website www.gluten.net for more information.
Scott Adams
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#102 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

I signed the petition! Thanks for the link!

#103 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Ok, my post is now officially deleted from Domino's Facebook page.
Scott Adams
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#104 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Ok, my post is now officially deleted from Domino's Facebook page.

Oh, you troublemaker, you....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#105 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I just posted the anti-Amber NFCA petition on Domino's Facebook page...let's see how long it lasts...Attached File  dominos_facebook_post2.jpg   110.28KB   1 downloads
Scott Adams
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: