149 replies to this topic

#121 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Now, that pizza I would feel safe giving her. I like the disposable cutter and bake in a bag idea.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#122 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Check this out:
http://www.celiac.co...e-Labeling.html
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#123 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Check this out:

Their press release has hit the financial papers - WSJ, etc.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#124 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Check this out:

Yeah!

"The North American Society for the Study of Celiac Disease (NASSCD) today announced a call for all restaurants and food manufacturers to properly label gluten-free products to avoid confusion that has the potential to threaten the health of people with celiac disease."

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#125 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

http://glutenfreevil...h/amberditched. ( to read more of the article)

"Thanks to an organized gluten free community and initiative led by 1 in 133 founders Jules Shepard and John Forberger – and all of you who signed last week’s petition, the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness has ditched the Amber designation for restaurants who are NOT meeting safe gluten free standards. (This in no way affects Domino’s offering of their new gluten free crust product.)
NFCA continues to hand out their GREEN certification for well-trained and educated restaurants who have processes in place to avoid cross contamination."

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

#126 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

http://glutenfreeville.com/research/amberditched. ( to read more of the article)

"Thanks to an organized gluten free community and initiative led by 1 in 133 founders Jules Shepard and John Forberger – and all of you who signed last week’s petition, the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness has ditched the Amber designation for restaurants who are NOT meeting safe gluten free standards. (This in no way affects Domino’s offering of their new gluten free crust product.)
NFCA continues to hand out their GREEN certification for well-trained and educated restaurants who have processes in place to avoid cross contamination."

Yahooo! :D :P
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#127 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

Oh, this is both wonderful and hilarious.

NFCA ditches Amber designation, aka NFCA learns running the yellow light thru the restaurant intersection does not result in fewer accidents, and

Chuck- E- Cheese kicks Domino's derriere on a gluten standard. :lol: :rolleyes: :) :D :lol:

______

edit to add: See this link, this is a very good article on the continued fallout, by the Nation's Restaurant News website

"Domino's Pizza under fire for labeling crust 'gluten-free'

http://nrn.com/artic...ust-gluten-free

Get a load of the fallback position taken by Domino's now:

Tim McIntyre, a spokesman for Domino’s, said the chain has been “extraordinarily forthcoming” about the fact that the gluten-free crust should not be eaten by people with celiac disease, but media coverage of the product launch has not always included that information. “We have received many thanks from customers with mild gluten sensitivity and from those following a gluten-free diet,” he said. “We understand and appreciate the disappointment of those with the disease, but we wanted to be honest and transparent.

“We’re not ever going to imply that this product is right for those diagnosed with celiac disease,” he added. “We cannot help it if some media outlets neglect to include that information in their coverage of the story.”

"We can't help it.... " :ph34r: :blink: <_<

Dear Domino's, let us introduce you to what the phrase Gluten Free really means, instead of what you thought you could get away with. It means FREE OF GLUTEN, not "Celiacs and sensitive Gluten Intolerants are Stupid, and won't mind if we cop their labeling for a marketing gimmick."

#128 hexon

hexon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Wow! So much has changed in the last few days, and it's awesome! I'm glad the community's voice is being heard, especially by its own organizations.

#129 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Power to the People!!! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#130 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

Likewise we were impressed by chuck e cheese's idea as well. Really hope we get it in this area. We don't care if it's for kids...we're big kids anyhow lol

#131 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Copied from the FB page of the GIG:

Below is the statement that appears on Dominos website and FB:

(in part) "...The NFCA supports Domino's® efforts to provide a Gluten Free Crust to a national audience and has given Domino's® a "Gluten Free Ingredients" rating. The NFCA granted Domino's® this rating because of our verified ingredients, consumer education approach and customer service training. This means the NFCA and Domino's® do not recommend this pizza for people with celiac disease. However, because the risk for gluten exposure is low, this product may be an option for those with mild gluten sensitivities. While the Gluten Free Crust contains no gluten ingredients, a risk of gluten exposure can occur due to the handcrafted nature of the pizza and the variety of procedures in the kitchen...."

We want to hear your thoughts. I a few days we will tell you how the medical and other support groups are responding.

http://www.facebook....ntoleranceGroup
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#132 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Copied from the FB page of the GIG:

Below is the statement that appears on Dominos website and FB:

(in part)
We want to hear your thoughts. I a few days we will tell you how the medical and other support groups are responding.

http://www.facebook....ntoleranceGroup

HAHAHAHAAH!!!! They already heard our thoughts!!! They all got deleted! :lol:
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#133 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

I had so much smoke coming out of my ears after seeing that NFCA amber logo on the original Domino's video introducing their Gluten Free In Name Only Pizza, (GFINOP) I told myself I had better wait a few days before even trying to draft a blog about this because it goes over better to not set off the smoke alarms. Then they started retreating before I got cranked up.

Now they (NFCA) is like kokopelli, the wiley coyote, back to his old tricks.

The NFCA "Gluten Free Ingredients" designation.

All that NFCA has to do is add an "N," an "O," and a "P" word, and they'll be right where they should be . GFINOP, Gluten Free In Name Only Peddlers !

According to the 5/18/2012 statement on the NFCA website, it says "NFCA to Conduct Further Study on Amber Designation" and that NFCA is "suspending" the Amber designation, but it says this:

http://www.celiaccen...statement-7937/

We will conduct a review to determine the most effective and clearest way to warn the community of the risk of cross-contamination and the use of the phrase “Gluten Free.”

While we regret that confusion may have occurred in relation to the Amber Designation, we do welcome and appreciate the attention this important issue of gluten sensitivity and celiac disease has received through this dialogue. We note that the education of the public, healthcare providers, the restaurant and foodservice industry, and those who are affected by gluten-related disorders has been enhanced by this recent media coverage concerning these designation and labeling issues, as have the interests of those maintaining a medically necessary gluten-free diet.

-bolding above was mine.

I don't need to be having an enhanced contamination restaurant meal with the blessings of the NFCA, which uses the word "Celiac" in their name. "Celiac" is a word meaning people who are required to abstain from the triticum family of grain gluten proteins which causes them to have an auto immune disease reaction. That is medically necessary. That means Celiacs must set the standard for the most sensitive, not the least. What part of "It is not really 'gluten free' if it is cross- contaminated" does the NFCA not comprehend ?

#134 Mamacita Sasso

Mamacita Sasso

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

I don't need to be having an enhanced contamination restaurant meal with the blessings of the NFCA, which uses the word "Celiac" in their name. "Celiac" is a word meaning people who are required to abstain from the triticum family of grain gluten proteins which causes them to have an auto immune disease reaction. That is medically necessary. That means Celiacs must set the standard for the most sensitive, not the least. What part of "It is not really 'gluten free' if it is cross- contaminated" does the NFCA not comprehend ?

I wouldn't touch their pizza with a 10 foot pole. Talk about trying to capitolize on the gluten free "trend". Fortunately, Manchester NH has lots of gluten free options, including the fabulous Portland Pies and an entire menu at Fratello's. When I need home made pizza, I make the crust with the King Arthur flour company's gluten free mix. Very satisfying.

Such a shame the Domino's couldn't go the full mile and take precautions to make their new pizza crust safe for celiacs. Perhaps a write in campaign will help persuade them? Surely we have the numbers.

#135 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

More nonsense. This is from GIG's FB ( I put the bold print)

"Gluten Intolerance Group of North America · 5,488 like this
about an hour ago ·
Let us be clear about the facts:
1. On May 18, 2012, GIG posted on our FB the announcement that NFCA gave suspending the Amber Designation AND thanked NFCA for removing the Amber designation from the GREAT Program.
2. On May 21, 2012 it was brought to our attention that the Amber designation was replace on Domino's website by a NFCA endorsed designation that is called out as the 'gluten- free ingredients rating " (https://order.domino...enfreecrust.jsp) taken from Domino's website 5/22/2012 at 11:30 am PST. The text is below:
o ▲ What are the NFCA's "Great Kitchen Standards" and how is Domino's rated?
The NFCA has created a rating system to promote increased clarity that will improve quality of life for everyone adhering to a gluten free diet, to expand accessibility in order to increase compliance of the gluten free diet and to encourage all restaurants to provide training that will enable customers to understand their approach to gluten free and make informed decisions when dining out.

The NFCA supports Domino's efforts to provide a Gluten Free Crust to a national audience and has given Domino's a "Gluten Free Ingredients" rating. The NFCA granted Domino's this rating because of our verified ingredients, consumer education approach and customer service training. This means the NFCA and Domino's do not recommend this pizza for people with celiac disease. However, because the risk for gluten exposure is low, this product may be an option for those with mild gluten sensitivities. While the Gluten Free Crust contains no gluten ingredients, a risk of gluten exposure can occur due to the handcrafted nature of the pizza and the variety of procedures in the kitchen.

3. The North America Society for the Study of Celiac Disease (NASSCD) in their first business meeting brought up the action they took to try to correct the misinformation and danger about the amber designation. Yesterday at DDW they continued to talk about this new and just as dangerous "gluten free ingredients" rating. It became clear in the meeting the NASSCD is not in favor of consumer organizations, providing this type of service without sound science.
4. On May 21, 2012, GIG asked consumers for their thoughts - because GIG does not know why one designation would be replace with one that is just as confusing and is not based on scientific evidence. We asked the community to weigh in. We did not give an opinion.

If what is being tweeted is that this is an oversight on NFCA's part in working with Dominos, then that just needs to be said AND corrected. However, at this time, the endorsement is still on Domino's website, the connection is to NFCA, and it sends a confusing message.
In the interest of disclosure:
1. GIG's GFRAP program levels only refer to who does the initial work - our dietitians or the restaurant. After that there is no tiered designation given to any location.
Our program relationships with food industry are at a very low cost. In fact, GIG loses money on this program.

The medical and scientific communities hold each other accountable to the work they do and its validity. As national leaders supporting gluten free consumers, our responsibility should include holding each other accountable for the validity of our programs AND what we do. If we do not, we should not be leaders. If we do not, the medical community will, as they have done related to this issue."

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: