This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Restaurants

Blueanj

Blueanj Newbie

What's the deal with eating out at restaurants?

Is it safe if they claim something is gluten-free?

I usually ask them questions about sauces, and where it's cooked, etc.

I was told corn chips at Rubios were gluten-free, but I had a rash after eating them. Found out they were made in a shared frier with beer battered fish.

So, now I know to check if fried things, like french fries and chips are made separately b/f eating them. W

What about meat? Rice and veggies? Do you have to ask at each place, or do you trust what they tell you? Like if they say they are sure their soy sauce is gluten-free and automatically list the one food on the menu that is safe for gluten-free people?

Do you eat food that is labeled gluten-free, but says it's made in a factory that processes wheat, barley, etc? I guess I'm wondering just how anal I have to be about all of this? It's making me tired and slightly depressed!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Stubborn red head Apprentice

I don't blame you for being so. picky.. Your system seems to have no tolerance. I know that some people can have food from a shared fryer. But if you got sick from it then you need to be that picky. I am finding I also have issues with sugar, I ate some homemade ice cream the other day. I watched the guy make the ice cream mixture. There was no Gluten in it, but I still got sick. I made everything else so I know that could have been the only thing to get me sick. No one else got sick, so the batch wasn't bad. I seen him put about 10 cups of sugar in it.

So yes you need to be picky, for your own health, and so that you are able to do everything else normal you must take care of what you are placing in your stomach, making sure that you put nothing in your system that will make sick.

Lisa Mentor

If you're pretty new to the diet, it's probably not too wise to eat out. Eat cleanly in your home. That in itself if a task in itself. Get some healing done, before you venture out.

Dining out comes as a treat for educating yourself. But, you should always accept the risk.

If you have a local place that you like, educate them. Talk to them at off hours and go over the menu with the chief. Learn what they can offer you and how they prepare it.

It can be done successfully! There is hope! :D

Adalaide Mentor

I won't eat out without checking out a restaurant's website first. I want to be sure that corporate policies are in place that I'm comfortable with. After that I speak with the staff to be sure I'm confident in their knowledge and ability. On top of that, I accept that I may simply get sick. There is one Wendy's I'll eat at that has a pretty good staff and a dedicated fryer and I haven't gotten sick yet, not even when I finally had my first fast food burger last month. Other than that I have 3 local places I know I can go, PF Changs, Outback and Rodizio Grill (a Brazilian steakhouse). We have two local Pizza places but I consider that high risk since the basis of the business is wheat flour. I'm ridiculously anal at home, and while I try to be careful about going out it's a simple fact of life for us that it's always a risk. (The exception to that for me at least being a 100% gluten free bakery.)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

happydays
    Newest Member
    happydays
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• TessaBaker
      It sounds like you're dealing with a complex situation, and I can understand how frustrating it must be not to have a clear answer. Gut health can indeed play a significant role in various aspects of our well-being, including hair health.
    • Celiac16
      I have found similar benefits from thiamine. I was diagnosed with celiac at 16 and never really recovered despite strict gluten and dairy free diet and no detectable antibodies on checkup bloodworks. I’ve tried stopping the b1 but start to feel bad again- I wanted my doctors to do more extensive testing for the different thiamine transporters and enzymes which would be a better indication if I was deficient or dependent on it but everyone dismisses it (there are know genetic mutations where you need to take it daily for life). I have looked into Thiamine Responsive Megablast Anemia and I have a lot of the more mild symptoms of the disease that manifest when thiamine isn’t given to the patient such as optic neuritis… I just find the parallels interesting. i think that celiacs could be a side issue of inflammation that resulted from vitamin deficiencies. I was eating a lot of sugar leading up to my diagnosis and since eating gluten free didn’t make me feel much better, I’m wondering if this was more the underlying issue (sugar heavily depletes b1). I usually take 1.5g thiamine a day.
    • Fluka66
      Thank you for your welcome and reply.  Yes I've been carefully reading labels looking for everything in bold and have been amazed by what I have seen. However Heinz tomato and basil soup is wheat free so I m thinking I already have ulcers?  The acid could be causing the pain . My pain always starts in one place then follows the same route through me . GP confirmed that is the route of our digestive system.  So much pain from stabbing to tearing. If I throw in milk with lactose it's horrific.  Many years of it now, won't go into details but been seeing a consultant for a supposedly different problem . Wondering what damage has been done over the years. Many thanks for your reply. Wishing you the very best.    
    • trents
      Welcome to the forum community, @Fluka66! Did you realize that the vast majority of all canned soups use wheat starch as a thickener, including such common commodities as Campbell's tomato soup?
    • Fluka66
      Hello. Any help would really steady my nerves right now. I realised recently that certain food left me in agonising pain so eliminated from my diet. I also have a swollen lymph node. My very caring Dr did some blood tests and I went back the other day to see another equally caring Dr . She looked at the test results one result has come back with something wrong. It came very fast so I'm afraid I didn't catch what it was. Anyway the urgent referral to ENT. She did say as I had already eliminated gluten it wouldn't say anything on the results and neither Drs nor I were prepared to reintroduce gluten . I've just had some tomato soup and again in agony only thinking this must have aggravated maybe existing problems. Does anyone know what I'm facing now ? My swollen lymph node , pain when eating gluten and lactose and I'm assuming the acidity of tomatoes triggering pain.  I'm trying to stay calm and to be honest I've been in intolerable pain at times rendering me unable to stand up straight but I've always just got on with it . Guess I'm reaching out and would really appreciate any wise or unwise words at this stage. Wishing you all the very best as you live with this illness. Fluka66