Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

Question On Food

3 posts in this topic

Hi All

My daughter has been getting better since being on a gluten/wheat/dairy free diet for the last six weeks but this weekend she has had a bit of tummy ache and feeling sick, the only different foods she has eaten is McCains microwave chips (ingredients - potatoes and sunflower oil) some polo mints and some tic tacs (I thought these were all ok - I have also been feeling a bit off colour last couple of days (I am not on a gluten diet) and don't know whether she has just caught a bug like any normal child does. Can anyone tell me if the above foods are ok, I have tried to find out on internet but to no avail.

Also, I have read a lot of topics on here where people say their Acid Reflux and Asthma greatly improve on a gluten free diet but I have noticed my daughter still has these symptons and they seem to be worse than ever, she is taking 15mg of Lansoprazole before her evening meal and although it is better I know adults that take 50mg and tell me it works, she has never been diagnosed with acid reflux but the doctor prescribed these after we explained the symptons. She is also constantly complaining of a tight chest, Asthma nurse last week said it could be a mixture of everything (very helpful!!!)

We do have an appointment at the childrens hospital on 23rd May which I arranged back in March when she was really ill so hopefully will get some answers then but in the meantime if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ads by Google:

Found this at the Tic Tac site:

Tic Tac


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for looking for me, I couldn't find anything. I do think it was a bug, I think you just automatically assume it is food related, but she has felt better tonight.

Once again thanks,


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think GFinDC has some good suggestions for you & I know you don't want to hear this but I will ditto what he said about the Fasano diet. I think you need to be on it longer than 3 months. After all, in the trials he was part of, the diet was to be adhered to for 3 to 6 months. I think the majority stayed on it for around 4.5 months. Really, I think you should go back to it & do a minimum of 6 months but more likely 9 mos. to a year. I know it sucks. I know it's going to be a royal pita. But being sick is a royal pita that sucks big time. One thing you can do is to make home made bone broth. Ultra nutritious & helps heal the gut. Google how to make it. Roast the bones first though even if the recipe doesn't mention that. It will taste far better and be better.  Do you have a shared kitchen? Do you EVER eat out? Do you eat ANY gluten-free processed foods? Check your meds. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    • As for eating out, I have found anywhere in the UK that in even semi-decent restaurants I can tell them exactly what I want. Look through their menu and pick things you like and tell them what you want and how to cook it. Most decent chefs will like a change and a challenge and I have been pleasantly surprised with the help that they have given. After a while you will have list of decent restaurants that you can trust. Usually I ask for a rare staeck cooked in Corn oil or olive oil with boiled potatoes and non-buttered veg. If you starts thre the chef usually gives other suggestions but make sure he/she is well aware of basic coeliac gluten cross contamination in kitchen, esp deep fat fryers.
    • Hi plumbago, No, D is not a symptoms only associated with severe celiac disease damage, if that's what you are thinking.  Every time we ingest gluten the immune reaction is kicked off again, and the damage starts all over.  If we ingest gluten daily, the immune reaction never stops, and we end up  with significant damage.  If we stop eating gluten, the immune reaction will decrease over time, and the damage will decrease also.  Healing will also happen as well. The moral of the story is Stop Eating Gluten!
    • Hi Ken. I know how you feel. I am Coeliac (UK!) with multiple intolerances and it has taken me meny years to isolate exactly what the problem foods are. I cannot really advise you what to eat or to avoid as everyone is different but I can suggest you "go back to basics" - in other words absolutely no processed foods even those that are heavily advertised as Gluten Free etc etc - just have a good look at what is in them. Basic food, cooked from scratch is healthier and much easier to isolate foods that you may be intolerentto. I cannot eat: Gluten, including Oats, all dairy, eggs (whites are worse than yolks), soya (a real b---h), preservatives (phosphates, sulphates, sulphites -which rules out 99.9% of wines and most bottled drinks) and various veg/fruits including butternut squash, cashews, grapes, pears, leeks, Celery (sulphites) and artificially "smoked" meats and stock cubes (I keep all bones and make my own stock, free!). I now cure my own bacon (simple - belly pork with dry cure of rock salt and molasses/demarara sugar for 5 days in fridge) but stay away from all pre-packed sliced meats which are full of preservatives) and the only bread I can eat is Seattle Brown Loaves. Keep well away from "E" numbers and any foods that require processing in their production and beware of "Vegetable" oil which is usually soya. Use Corn oil, Ghee (salted butter melted in a pan, remove the scum which is the protein and you are left with a golden liquid) or walnut/coconut oils. Also beware of Crisps/Chips (USA term). Most are sprayed with some liquid prior to cooking and only one type does not affect me - Kettle Crisps/Chips, low salted only NEVER take artifical flavourings in any foods - hidden in E numbers. If I do eat any of the above the symptoms are basically the same, headaches, wind, tiredness, migraines and a feeling of "low" almost depression but not quite as bad. Can last for up to 5 days but usually 1/2. It is really the caveman diet - absolutely no fast foods. I can make myself a meal in a few minutes with anything I have in the house. I eat any meats, most veg (onions, carrots, garlic, peppers, potatoes, of course, green veg etc). A wok is good to have as is a pressure cooker for making stock out of bones. Menus: Breakfast, bacon, fried potatoes, onions peppers. Tea with Honey and Coconut cream (coconut a gem!) and Seattle bread toasted (best that way with "Pure" Sunflower spread) . Lunch: soup, toasts and meat of some kind. Apples, oranges etc Dinners: staples of potatoes, pastas (Gluten free of course), rice, meats, veg, fish. Never concern yourself with what you cant eat, concentrate on what you can and I enjoy cooking my own food and I can also prepare a dinner party and nobody knows it is designed for me! Best of luck, it is a change of lifestyle for the good. Excuse ramblings at times as I keep remembering things as I write.
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Entries

  • Recent Status Updates

  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
    • Most Online

    Newest Member
    William Stevens