This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free And Than Grain Free.

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I began a traditional gluten free diet about 6 months back. I experienced 3-4 months of withdrawl symptoms. I balanced out feeling better, but continuing a pattern of relapse into fatigue.

I began to see information that there is gluten in corn, rice, and the grains I was eating. I therefore decided to forgo all grain. I have instead begun to use beans, nuts, and cocunut flour. I am finding these delicious. However,I went through some more withdrawl. For about a week now I have been dizzy, foggy and beside myself. Yet, in the midst of it I got feelings of strength, energy, and health. Are these good signs?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I began a traditional gluten free diet about 6 months back. I experienced 3-4 months of withdrawl symptoms. I balanced out feeling better, but continuing a pattern of relapse into fatigue.

I began to see information that there is gluten in corn, rice, and the grains I was eating. I therefore decided to forgo all grain. I have instead begun to use beans, nuts, and cocunut flour. I am finding these delicious. However,I went through some more withdrawl. For about a week now I have been dizzy, foggy and beside myself. Yet, in the midst of it I got feelings of strength, energy, and health. Are these good signs?

It might be a good idea to have a test for SIBO if you aren't tolerating any grains?

I love coconut oil, but haven't tried baking with coconut flour. It's supposed to be wonderful for preventing blood sugar spikes too?

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

While there is gluten in the other grains, the gluten is supposed to be different from the gluten in wheat, barley and rye. Most Celiac's can eat the other grains. Some people react to oats and some to corn.

Having said that, I'm with you. I'm grain-free for the most part. I do celebrate with some desserts that have grain flours in them, but only once in a while. I think my recovery went very fast when I gave up grains. I have felt better, faster, stronger, and healthier than I ever have in my life.

However, for some reason, I cannot eat beans. I feel really lousy afterward. I suspected a soy intolerance, but chick peas or garbanzo beans bother me the same way and so do lentils. So I read the Lectin theory. Now I'm grain, bean, soy, and gluten free. But happier and healthier than ever in my life. Just do a trial off of beans to see if this is your problem. Every time I add them back, I feel lousy. Like a low level glutening. But I know beans do not have gluten in them, so it must be an intolerance.

It's hard to figure it all out. And many people react to many foods early in their recovery. I just got dairy back after a year and half being gluten-free. It takes time, patience, and perseverance...but you will get there!

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

I went gluten free a year ago and felt immediately better. Just recently I went grain free (gained some weight eating all those gluten-free processed products) and feel EVEN BETTER. I'm not super strict (like reading labels for hidden corn) but avoid most grains on a regular basis. The new weight is slowly coming off and I don't miss the starchy food at all. I am very intrigued by the paleo/primal diets and may try getting a little closer to this way of eating (which would mean avoiding beans and soy as well as dairy).

Everyone in the house is eating better as we make the shift from grains to more vegetables.

Cara

Metoo Enthusiast

I am pretty much grain free, besides occasional brown rice now...and the extremely occasional gluten-free baked goods, which only happens about once every 2 months or less.

My suggestion is, if you haven't already start tracking your food intake on something like calorie-count.com. I started doing that and found that I was just too low on fat. I started focusing on increasing my protein consumption along with fat and I feel a lot better! A lot better! I can tell the days I don't eat as well, because I feel like a slug by that night.

Archived