Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Unknowingly Ate Oats....what's Your Opinion?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

I went to Whole Foods last night and when I came home I tried some of the new stuff I bought. Later that night I felt severely nauseous. Today I was eating some of the same cookies I tried last night and noticed they had oats in them. My heart like flipped. It said there was 1/28 cup of gluten free oats in each serving. I musta eaten 6 cookies! now I'm feeling really sick again.

Even if they're gluten free oats, I know some people can't tolerate them. If I'm one of those who can't tolerate them, will it cause damage to my intestines or will it just make me feel sick?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Sorry you're sick. Unfortunately if you're one of those who can't tolerate oats there is a reasonable chance they will damage your intestines the same as gluten would. You need to avoid them as a gluten grain. Don't panic about your mistake though. One mistake will not set your healing back very far, and you wouldn't have figured it out without trying the oats.

#3 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Man I was hoping there'd be no damage!:P well atleast I know I can't tolerate oats! Also, although I'm really nauseous and tired, I don't have any of the other symptoms like when I get glutened. Is it possible that I'm just intolerant of oats or is it normal to have different symptoms of a "glutening" with oats? I know that regular oats can be CCed but why do gluten free oats bother some people and not others ? Is there a reason? And what brands may have CC with oats? I know I've heard of one but can't remember:P

#4 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I've learnt that I can tolerate oats only around the equivalent of 70-75 grams....which is just short of a bowl of porridge :P

Brands that may have CC'd oats, are Quaker, Scot's, and practically all brands unless they're labelled as non-cc'd, like Cream Hill and Only Oats. I hope you feel better!
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Man I was hoping there'd be no damage!:P well atleast I know I can't tolerate oats! Also, although I'm really nauseous and tired, I don't have any of the other symptoms like when I get glutened. Is it possible that I'm just intolerant of oats or is it normal to have different symptoms of a "glutening" with oats?

Oats can cause the same symptoms.

I know that regular oats can be CCed but why do gluten free oats bother some people and not others ? Is there a reason?

The same reason some people have celiac and others don't have celiac. We aren't all the same.

And what brands may have CC with oats? I know I've heard of one but can't remember:P

Bob's Red Mill claims to have gluten fee oats. Any brands that aren't marked gluten-free are potentially CC'd. Bob's Red Mill has non-gluten-free versions of oats also.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: