Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Unknowingly Ate Oats....what's Your Opinion?

5 posts in this topic

I went to Whole Foods last night and when I came home I tried some of the new stuff I bought. Later that night I felt severely nauseous. Today I was eating some of the same cookies I tried last night and noticed they had oats in them. My heart like flipped. It said there was 1/28 cup of gluten free oats in each serving. I musta eaten 6 cookies! now I'm feeling really sick again.

Even if they're gluten free oats, I know some people can't tolerate them. If I'm one of those who can't tolerate them, will it cause damage to my intestines or will it just make me feel sick?

Sorry you're sick. Unfortunately if you're one of those who can't tolerate oats there is a reasonable chance they will damage your intestines the same as gluten would. You need to avoid them as a gluten grain. Don't panic about your mistake though. One mistake will not set your healing back very far, and you wouldn't have figured it out without trying the oats.

Man I was hoping there'd be no damage!:P well atleast I know I can't tolerate oats! Also, although I'm really nauseous and tired, I don't have any of the other symptoms like when I get glutened. Is it possible that I'm just intolerant of oats or is it normal to have different symptoms of a "glutening" with oats? I know that regular oats can be CCed but why do gluten free oats bother some people and not others ? Is there a reason? And what brands may have CC with oats? I know I've heard of one but can't remember:P

I've learnt that I can tolerate oats only around the equivalent of 70-75 grams....which is just short of a bowl of porridge :P

Brands that may have CC'd oats, are Quaker, Scot's, and practically all brands unless they're labelled as non-cc'd, like Cream Hill and Only Oats. I hope you feel better!

Man I was hoping there'd be no damage!:P well atleast I know I can't tolerate oats! Also, although I'm really nauseous and tired, I don't have any of the other symptoms like when I get glutened. Is it possible that I'm just intolerant of oats or is it normal to have different symptoms of a "glutening" with oats?

Oats can cause the same symptoms.

I know that regular oats can be CCed but why do gluten free oats bother some people and not others ? Is there a reason?

The same reason some people have celiac and others don't have celiac. We aren't all the same.

And what brands may have CC with oats? I know I've heard of one but can't remember:P

Bob's Red Mill claims to have gluten fee oats. Any brands that aren't marked gluten-free are potentially CC'd. Bob's Red Mill has non-gluten-free versions of oats also.