This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Undiagnosed Celiacs Cause Frequent Illnesses?

cmdoppler

cmdoppler Newbie

If you have celieacs without knowing it does it contribute to having more frequent illnesses? Just wondering.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Yes, yes, YES! If your immune system has been suppressed because it's been reacting to gluten, you will definitely get sick a lot. Before I knew I had celiac, I was sick 75% of the time--no kidding!

lesliev523 Rookie

Yes, yes, YES! If your immune system has been suppressed because it's been reacting to gluten, you will definitely get sick a lot. Before I knew I had celiac, I was sick 75% of the time--no kidding!

ME TOO! And my allergies were progressively worse year after year. To the point I was going to have to get shots.

tom Contributor

When I was sick every day for a long time, I seemed to never get a cold or flu though. Seen others here say the same, but I don't know how common that is.

mushroom Proficient

I was sick nearly every day with a cold or flu before I quit eating gluten. Four years gluten free - one flu, that's it. And it was a cougher, something I'd never had before. My colds, followed by secondary infections, used to last 3-4 weeks.

MitziG Enthusiast

I spent 30+ years without ever having gone a month without some cold, flu or virus it seems. I have been gluten-free for almost 14 mos now and have exactly ONE mild sinus thingy in that whole time.

So I would definitely say, YEP!

When your immune system is busy attacking your intestines, it can't be bothered to do silly things like, say, fighting off germs....B)

Mateto Enthusiast

I'm one who had the flu and cold almost every day, in some shape or form, before going gluten-free, so definitely YES!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beebs Enthusiast

YES, I had multiple middle ear infections that ended in perforations - I mean - like at least two a year, chest infections all the time, I'd always get whatever was going around. AND I know have more Autoimmune diseases, that may very well have been triggered from eating gluten. Also - I know have to go for another endo because there may be long term damage to my esophaus and stomach from eating gluten all those years. Doh. Sometimes it doesn't just end by going gluten free. So if you think you might have it -then get it tested asap.

Capegin Rookie

I am so glad I stumbled on this post! My 15 month old DD is going through the testing process now- awaiting results of blood work. The dr. also wants to test for CF because of her size, even though I'm not a carrier. I've been panicking, even though I know it's highly unlikely, because she had soooo many colds all winter. Knowing there is even the slightest chance it was Celiac causing that and not CF is gping to go a long way towards getting me through the next couple of days before her CF test!!! Thank you!!!!

Btw- did any of you experience frequent low-grade fevers?

beebs Enthusiast

I am so glad I stumbled on this post! My 15 month old DD is going through the testing process now- awaiting results of blood work. The dr. also wants to test for CF because of her size, even though I'm not a carrier. I've been panicking, even though I know it's highly unlikely, because she had soooo many colds all winter. Knowing there is even the slightest chance it was Celiac causing that and not CF is gping to go a long way towards getting me through the next couple of days before her CF test!!! Thank you!!!!

Hello, my little one was given a 90% change of CF, due to panreatic something or other, anyhow long story shore. It wasn't that (thank god) it was gluten! He was the same, like seriously sick ever single day of his entire life until he went gluten-free.

T.H. Community Regular

Both my daughter and I did, yes, before we were diagnosed. It's happened a few times getting gluten contamination, too, for both of us, but I've noticed that this happened less and less as time went on, and somewhere around 2 years gluten free, I haven't had a fever again when glutened.

I've spoken to a only few folks here at celiac.com who reported having this as an issue when they get glutened, or their children did, but I haven't seen anything in the celiac literature on it.

There's been a few threads on it - here's a link to a real short one:

Capegin Rookie

Thanks TH! My daughter went through a spurt of about a week when daycare would call me every coupke of days to say she had a low fever. Twice we picked her up, gave her some motrin, and she was absolutely fine!

Celiac panel should be ready Monday, follow up with pedi GI the next week, so we'll see!

Archived