2 replies to this topic

#1 MsJ

MsJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

I had a blood test last month for Celiac Disease and it came back negative. I've decided, based on having Hashimoto's, that I was going to try going gluten free for a while to see if it improved my health. (fatigue, 6+ loose BM's a day, Rosacea being my main complaints). After a couple of weeks, I thought I was starting to see an improvement. Now, for the past few days I've been in the bathroom once an hour with loose, very pale stools, and am feeling quite tired all the time.

The only thing I can think of is I helped my daughter make 72 mini cupcakes a few days ago. I didn't eat any of them or lick my fingers or anything, but I was reading that inhaling gluten can be an issue for someone with celiac disease. But could it also cause problems if I only have a gluten intolerance? I feel like I'm grasping at straws, but I want to be able to pinpoint why my symptoms have come back when I'm trying to be so careful with my diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

I had a blood test last month for Celiac Disease and it came back negative. I've decided, based on having Hashimoto's, that I was going to try going gluten free for a while to see if it improved my health. (fatigue, 6+ loose BM's a day, Rosacea being my main complaints). After a couple of weeks, I thought I was starting to see an improvement. Now, for the past few days I've been in the bathroom once an hour with loose, very pale stools, and am feeling quite tired all the time.

The only thing I can think of is I helped my daughter make 72 mini cupcakes a few days ago. I didn't eat any of them or lick my fingers or anything, but I was reading that inhaling gluten can be an issue for someone with celiac disease. But could it also cause problems if I only have a gluten intolerance? I feel like I'm grasping at straws, but I want to be able to pinpoint why my symptoms have come back when I'm trying to be so careful with my diet.

I'm very sensitive to gluten. I recently cleaned out the cabinet where we used to store wheat flour. I wore gloves and I'm sure I never touched it, so couldn't have gotten it under my fingernails..or whatever. I inhaled it. I got a severe gluten reaction from it. I wish I had known it was possible to get "glutened" by breathing it in. I would have worn a mask!

I don't know if everyone is as sensitive to airborne gluten, but I can attest to the fact that it happens!

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

The other thing to consider (and I'm not saying inhalation didn't get you) is that the airborne product "settles" on surfaces and you get it on your body, food prep areas, etc. which eventually works into your mouth.

That happened to me with buildings materials during a home reconstruction. I took my food to the house, ate it in the house....I guess I ate some drywall? It was everywhere - all over me, could wash 100 times and it inevitably was back on me...

Anyway, yes...airborne gluten can be problematic.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: