#1 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hi everyone,

I am positive I glutened myself yesterday - still trying to figure out what exactly but I think it was a seasoning I bought. It's the first big screw up I've made since I went gluten-free (had a taste of gluten sauce by accident last month) and it is an excellent reminder to myself to be more careful! I should have read more carefully. My stomach is upset, belching, eyes sore and my sinuses are on fire today. I'm sitting in my office with the lights off because of the headache. I haven't felt this bad for a while. *sigh*

Thanks for reading, I just needed to whine a bit to people who have been there.
Dairy free since 2010
Gluten free 2/2012 after off the charts positive blood test
Soy and MSG sensitive
Have opted not to biopsy right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dani nero

dani nero

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Aww.. sorry you're not feeling well :-( Don't beat yourself up over it, s---- happens!
Hope it doesn't last long for you! I've read from other members here that the best you can do is drink plenty of water to get everything out of your system asap.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Sorry. Water, digestive enzymes and probiotics.

Maybe a Neti pot for the sinuses??
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Sorry you got hit. :(
Same advice from me: water, water, water
and double up on the probiotics for a week and just take it easy.

I see you are also MSG intolerant. Me, too. Could it have been that, hon?? That gives me nausea and a vicious migraine and "swelling" in my face, eyes, throat and hands.
Just a thought.

Feel better soon!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

:( just a sympathy post from me. It's been a while since its hit me but we all understand.

#6 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'm really drinking the water up as we speak. I take allergy pills every day and I read (here maybe?) that can help with reactions too so I'm hoping. I'm trying to trace over my meals yesterday and see what it might have been. I noticed my tummy was off last night before bed but the sinus stuff hit like a truck this morning.

Irish - MSG is a good point. I usually get migraine headaches MSG. I'll check for that as well.
Dairy free since 2010
Soy and MSG sensitive

#7 crissy82

crissy82

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Sorry you got hit. :(
Same advice from me: water, water, water
and double up on the probiotics for a week and just take it easy.

I see you are also MSG intolerant. Me, too. Could it have been that, hon?? That gives me nausea and a vicious migraine and "swelling" in my face, eyes, throat and hands.
Just a thought.

Feel better soon!

How do you avoid eating MSG. It is everywhere? I would love to eliminate as much MSG from my diet as I can. What foods do you eat?

#8 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Crissy - As long as I eat "real" food, I do ok. Fruit, veggies, some meat now, rice, etc. Sauces, spices and packaged food are the big threat for me. MSG has a bunch of "hidden" names and sometimes it is hard to tell. I do better avoiding it now that I'm gluten-free. We have a good spice shop here in CO that has tons of gluten free spices that are also msg and soy free and that helps a lot. I don't do well with much soy either.
Dairy free since 2010
Soy and MSG sensitive

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

How do you avoid eating MSG. It is everywhere? I would love to eliminate as much MSG from my diet as I can. What foods do you eat?

Stop eating packaged/preserved foods if you want to avoid MSG.
Asian packaged foods, soups, gravies, etc.--that sort of thing?--have a lot of MSG in them.

I look at MSG, HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), preservatives and soy the same way I look at gluten. I avoid them.

I read labels as carefully for those as I do for gluten. My eyes are well-trained now. :lol:

What do I eat? :) well, I eat LOTS of delicious foods: meats, fish, poultry, veggies, fruits, nuts, eggs, small amounts of cheese, coconut milk, homemade gluten-free bread, muffins, cakes, pizza, on and on.... it would be easier to tell you what I do not eat.

Right now, I've got a osso bucco (veal shanks in wine, stock, tomatoes, onions, veggies and herbs) going in the slow cooker and I will add Saffron risotto to it and some roasted asparagus for a full meal. I have some flan leftover from the weekend.

My own rules for eating?

No Packaged foods that have more than 4 or 5 ingredients because then, you are just asking for trouble. For example, Haggen das strawberry ice cream has milk, cream, berries, sugar, eggs. Works for me!

NO Packaged foods that have multi-syllabic words or unpronounceable words or lots of abbreviated ingredients like: "Hydrogenated or hydrolyzed soy protein" or "BHT".

If I do not know what it is, and my chemist husband does not know what it is either, :lol: I do not eat it.

Stick to whole foods or foods that are more "clean".

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 crissy82

crissy82

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

Crissy - As long as I eat "real" food, I do ok. Fruit, veggies, some meat now, rice, etc. Sauces, spices and packaged food are the big threat for me. MSG has a bunch of "hidden" names and sometimes it is hard to tell. I do better avoiding it now that I'm gluten-free. We have a good spice shop here in CO that has tons of gluten free spices that are also msg and soy free and that helps a lot. I don't do well with much soy either.

Before I went gluten free almost everytime I would eat my face and chest would get really flushed. I have always wondered if it was an intolerance to MSG. It would happen especially after eating a lot of finger foods or fast food. Which was pretty much every day. Now I am eating mainly veggies, fruit, rice, beans. I notice it doesn't happen as much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: