This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free & Medications

hobbitqueen18

hobbitqueen18 Apprentice

I am fairly knew to the whole gluten free thing and a friend was telling me that some medications may contain some form of gluten. I have tried looking on the backs of some over the counter medications but I could not see anything listed that looked to be gluten. And with my prescription medications the pharmacist doesn't even seem to know if they do contain gluten and doesn't know where I could go to find out. I am at a loss as to even being on where to look for this information. I am currently taking Prevacid and Omeprezol... My GYN doctor reccently gave me prescriptions ofr Cyclesa and Lexapro but I have not filled the order because I do not wish to pay for something I can not take. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Welcome to the forum, hobbitqueen! I find this site to be very useful. Open Original Shared Link It's maintained by a pharmacist and is updated frequently.

At my local Rite Aid pharmacy, the pharmacist is always willing to call the manufacturer if necessary.

hexon Rookie

Welcome to the forum, hobbitqueen! I find this site to be very useful. Open Original Shared Link It's maintained by a pharmacist and is updated frequently.

At my local Rite Aid pharmacy, the pharmacist is always willing to call the manufacturer if necessary.

Thanks for that website! As a pharmacy student/intern this is definitely going to come in useful!

• 2 months later...
123glldd Collaborator

I've become very curious about this issue...my Pharmacist told me that if they didn't have something safe they'd have to order it in. My question is ...what do people like us do if we ever end up in an emergency room or something and absolutely need something NOW. Will they have something? If you have a horrible UTI....if your pharmacy doesn't have a gluten free drug.....how will you get it? It's been terrifying me.

Gemini Experienced

I've become very curious about this issue...my Pharmacist told me that if they didn't have something safe they'd have to order it in. My question is ...what do people like us do if we ever end up in an emergency room or something and absolutely need something NOW. Will they have something? If you have a horrible UTI....if your pharmacy doesn't have a gluten free drug.....how will you get it? It's been terrifying me.

No need to be terrified! If you ended up in the ER, then most meds are not given by mouth but through an IV...which would not pose a problem as it bypasses the gut. That would get you started until you found a gluten-free version of an antibiotic.

I have had to take antibiotics and anti-virals since going gluten-free and I have not had a problem finding gluten-free meds. You may have to try more than one pharmacy but lets face it....they are mostly all chains now and there are many pharmacies. After you do this a few times, it gets much easier to figure out. I tend to stay with the same antibiotics when needed and luckily, I rarely need an antibiotic.

Archived