7 replies to this topic

#1 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I haven't been diagnosted just yet, but I have suggested to my mom that she and one of my little sisters get tested.

I have 3 sisters and the one that I am suggesting that she have tested has migraines to the point of vomiting and has recently been experiencing bloating after eating bread. Which is just crazy considering the fact that she is a fan of bread.

My mother is willing to have my sister tested but said not to worry about her. She has managed this long. My mother was told she had IBS about 8 years ago.
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Mnicole - convincing family is tough. I've been trying to get my mom to get tested. She was diagnosed with IBS over 20 years ago, has MS and Fibromyalgia...tons and tons of symptoms but she hasn't agreed yet. Every time we talk I share the positive changes I'm finding and every so often I suggest she think about it. She's stubborn but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree so I'll keep trying! Focus on the positive with your mom. Maybe you can convince her.
Dairy free since 2010
Gluten free 2/2012 after off the charts positive blood test
Soy and MSG sensitive
Have opted not to biopsy right now.

#3 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

Oh my.. why do people accept all those other diagnosis like IBS, Fibro etc etc but not celiac/gluten intolerance? Such a mystery. There is a PHD thesis in this. Why are other diagnosis acceptable but another not? Pure psychology and perhaps some history, agricultural/economic PR.. I'm not sure exactly.

#4 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

Oh my.. why do people accept all those other diagnosis like IBS, Fibro etc etc but not celiac/gluten intolerance? Such a mystery. There is a PHD thesis in this. Why are other diagnosis acceptable but another not? Pure psychology and perhaps some history, agricultural/economic PR.. I'm not sure exactly.

I know for me, I am having a hard time coming to grips with it all. I accepted the IBS diagnosis without blinking because all I had was stomach issues. There were some days it was so bad that I felt like I used an entire package of tp and spent my day in the bathroom, and other times where I would go a week or more without any problem at all, some days I would have the OPPOSITE problem: Constipation.
But that was all. so I could accept it. I learned to deal with my tricky stomach and stopped being shy about public bathrooms. Its just the way life was. I barely even gave it much thought because no one told me to restrict my diet. I had my gall bladder removed, so I did watch the heavy, greasy stuff but otherwise the dr basically shrugged his shoulders and wiped his hands clean of me. And I trusted him.

Now, its more than GI stuff, its headaches, sinus infections, cramps, joint aches, chills, fever and irritibility. But still, I am having a hard time accepting celiac disease as a diagnosis only because its become so widespread in the last few years, I am afraid of accepting it in case its just the "new and cool" diagnosis. I am being told to restrict my diet...that means a lot of change for this bread lover...

Its all pscholigical. I WILL accept it and I WILL do what I need to but its so severe to me, its hard to just...come to grips with. I also am having a very hard time getting my parents and in laws to understand. My husband is awesome, he gets it, as do my kids, but everyone else looks at me like I am crazy and "buying in" to the newest and coolest diagnosis...

its hard.

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Easier to pop a pill than to change eating habits.

#6 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

Easier to pop a pill than to change eating habits.

Yup, the "fix me" mind set.

#7 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

It took me over two years to convince my mom to get tested but she finally did, and guess what? She has celiac disease. I knew it all along, and I suspect that she knew too and didn't want to test until she was really ready to cope with the diagnosis. I, myself put off testing for almost a year after my youngest was diagnosed. I knew he had gotten it from me and I wasn't ready to give up my favorite foods just yet. Plus, I was so focused on him and his health that I didn't want it to be all about me (too).

My kids and I did a family tree to see how many of our blood relatives need to be tested, and the number was a staggering 56! (My mother has 12 brothers and sisters and they all have children). Out of those 56 only me, my two children, my mom, and my brother (negative!!) have been tested. All others have refused.

I remind them constantly on Facebook and our family website. I send articles and little tidbits about yummy gluten-free foods but it doesn't work. My cousin, who is more like a sister to me, just flat out refuses to test her kids. It's infuriates me because her youngest is sick a lot with celiac disease like symptoms and I worry about them. But what more can I do? I just get frustrated and then...let it go.

#8 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

My mother just showed me her vitiligo. Crazy that she will not get tested.
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: