Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Officially Diagnosed Today

11 posts in this topic

Well I was officially diagnosed today through enterolab. Here were my results. Not sure if my hypothyroidism caused it or if this caused hypothyroidism but I was diagnosed as having irritable bowel syndrome about 20 years ago...Doctor thought i might be lactose intolerant at the time but i wasn't...i guess he should have looked into wheat considering i always got sick from cereal and pizza (why he thought it was lactose).

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 28 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 34 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 332 Units (Normal Range is less than 300 Units)

In the descriptions after it it kinda freaked me out with talk about pancreatic issues with fecal fat etc But it sure seems like it's just straight gluten intolerance based off my symptoms over the years?

Can anyone tell me if this means actual celiac disease or just sensitivity? How does one find out for sure if it's celiac? Or is all autoimmune celiac? Was never quite clear on that.

Well at least I know now. Honestly most people would probably be more upset than me...for me...I finally have an answer to years of different types of digestive issues. At least I assume it's what the "irritable bowel" was all those years ago. What a sad mess I was sitting on the toilet crying from the pain in my lower tummy *sighs*

Ads by Google:

Can anyone tell me if this means actual celiac disease or just sensitivity? How does one find out for sure if it's celiac? Or is all autoimmune celiac? Was never quite clear on that.

I'm glad that you feel you have found your answer. What's most important is that you go on the diet and find relief. And this is the best source of information around.

EndoLabs do not/can not test for Celiac Disease. And they claim that they can test for sensitives. Okay, well... you can guess that I'm not a big fan. B) But many people here are.

Your best test, is to go gluten free and measure your response. You might have already done that. If you have a positive dietary response, you will know that you have a gluten sensitivity or Celiac.

Oh I definitely did already as I have yet to have one of my stomach aches since going gluten free. I was getting some stomach aches that made me feel somewhat like i was going to throw up but more of an ache to it really. I haven't had it so far since going completely off the gluten.

Why are you not a fan of labs?

Oh I definitely did already as I have yet to have one of my stomach aches since going gluten free. I was getting some stomach aches that made me feel somewhat like i was going to throw up but more of an ache to it really. I haven't had it so far since going completely off the gluten.

Why are you not a fan of labs?

So glad you are finding relief.

Dr. Peter Green, the foremost research doctor in Celiac Disease has stated that there has not yet been a test that can measure for gluten sensitivity.

Enterolabs and Dr. Fine have profited millions of dollars from testing, that his peers and experts in the field, consider invalid.

Of course, this is my opinion. I am certain that others may feel differently. Everyone finds their place by different roads.

But, I am happy for you that you have found your answer.

Enterolabs and Dr. Fine have profited millions of dollars from testing, that his peers and experts in the field, consider invalid.

I think I would say "not-validated", which is different. 'Invalid' implies not true, while 'not validated' suggests that it could be true or not,but you need to check.

I think I would say "not-validated", which is different. 'Invalid' implies not true, while 'not validated' suggests that it could be true or not,but you need to check.

Yes, agreed :) . "Not validated" is a better and more accurate choice of words. Thank you for calling that to my attention. ;)

I had to go gluten free irregardless due to hypothyroidism anyhow. But I definitely don't feel as bad when I'm off of it. I've had problems for years with my digestive system. Not sure why any reaction would show in my stool if there wasn't anything?

Actually what I'd be curious to know...has anyone taken this test and been shown to NOT be gluten sensitive? If it's legit I would assume there would be people who haven't had gluten intolerance? My husband is currently waiting on his results so I guess we'll see with him lol

Is there a reason you did not have a celiac blood panel?

Best way to figure out is to go that route, and have an endoscopy, especially if you have had stomach issues that long- there could be a great deal of intestinal damage.

Actually what I'd be curious to know...has anyone taken this test and been shown to NOT be gluten sensitive? If it's legit I would assume there would be people who haven't had gluten intolerance? My husband is currently waiting on his results so I guess we'll see with him lol

There have been several threads on this, and yes, people do test negative.

I didn't get a blood panel because i'm still going through a lot of blood testing to do with thyroid right now and everything is so expensive. I also heard that it doesn't necessarily show up in blood so i went with the stool test which seemed to be more definite from what i'd read all over the place.