13 replies to this topic

#1 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

I'm surprised I haven't found anything here yet on the latest garbage said on the Today Show. Read this blog post by Gluten Dude: http://glutendude.co...sease-is-trend/
Apparently a Dr. Keri Peterson said Celiac Disease was a "trendy disease" and "easy to manage." Am I the only one who is outraged here? This is ridiculous!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

I heard that a lot more people were wanting to acquire Parkinson's, too. Lot of dumb people around. :blink:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm surprised I haven't found anything here yet on the latest garbage said on the Today Show. Read this blog post by Gluten Dude: http://glutendude.co...sease-is-trend/
Apparently a Dr. Keri Peterson said Celiac Disease was a "trendy disease" and "easy to manage." Am I the only one who is outraged here? This is ridiculous!

I saw this on gluten dudes site , a trendy disease also angers me . I hate it trendy disease wow messed up it's a serious auto immune disease not a trendy thing to have .
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

#4 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Exactly. Since when was cancer a "trendy" disease or having AIDS "trendy"?

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Not for us, but it has in fact become a bit trendy. BUT, if it created more products available for us or more legitimate awareness....bring it ON!

Although, Domino's Pizza got it very wrong! Bet, they will withdrawal their gluten free pizza campaign and product real fast.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Not for us, but it has in fact become a bit trendy. BUT, if it created more products available for us or more legitimate awareness....bring it ON!

Although, Domino's Pizza got it very wrong! Bet, they will withdrawal their gluten free pizza campaign and product real fast.

The problem is the gluten-free diet has more awareness these days but it should be celiac disease getting the awareness . It's just about profit the gluten-free diet they don't really care about us who suffer from the disease . I blame the gluten-free fad , there was an article on here a while back about celebrities going gluten free and we all know these celebrities are pathetic doing anything for attention yet it's because of them the disease is called trendy .

Domino's Pizza is just ridiculous really , what were they thinking $

#7 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:20 AM

Exactly. Since when was cancer a "trendy" disease or having AIDS "trendy"?

No disease is trendy , It's just a ridiculous comment , it's a shame how our disease is treated as a joke .

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:25 AM

I've had several people mention the Domino's pizza to me. There is no way my boys and I would eat it. If you are going to be bold enough to do something like that, you need to do it right from the start. I've eaten at Mellow Mushroom and have done well. They have separate toppings, pans and room for prep. They do share the oven though, but don't see that as a problem.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#9 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

It's frustrating because now with the Domino's thing, my friends are all texting and sending me the link and getting all excited, which I love....but when I tell them that it isn't safe for me I get the "oh there's the debby downer" or "oh yea, I'd forgotten how picky you are, even with gluten free stuff"....

neat!

#10 jess_gf

jess_gf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

This has been a very frustrating week. First the Domino's thing, and then the Today Show. It really pisses me off. Celiac Disease is NOT a trend, companies and celebrities going their version of "gluten free" for weight loss is trend. I hated how cavalier she was about it, too. :angry:
Gluten Free since 11/2010
Dairy Free since 01/2011

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

This has been a very frustrating week. First the Domino's thing, and then the Today Show. It really pisses me off. Celiac Disease is NOT a trend, companies and celebrities going their version of "gluten free" for weight loss is trend. I hated how cavalier she was about it, too. :angry:

You know what the real irony is? The stuff you see about how "unhealthy" a gluten-free diet is. But quite frankly, if people are having any luck using gluten-free as a weight loss tool - they are eating very few if any processed gluten-free foods - they're eating "whole foods" which has been touted as healthy forever.

So, duh. People are eating a whole food diet and losing weight. Big shocker???? Nope.

And then the doubly funny bit is that Domino's comes out with a gluten-free crust that isn't a gluten-free pizza - which isn't a whole food AT ALL...which is apparently targeted at this "weight loss" market because the majority of people with a true gluten issue can't eat the things.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Another idiot "doctor" ....I had no idea my horror for 3 years was me "being trendy"....I said my peace about this to gluten dude.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Well, at least we all can call ourselves trendsetters - instead of followers like Gwyneth Paltrow and Miley Cyrus :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

here's another great article written about the "trendy" comment:
http://inspiredrd.co...ase-trendy.html

The "doctor" who made these comments was Dr. Keri Peterson. please contact Dr. Keri Peterson and demand an apology:
https://www.facebook...Dr.KeriPeterson
Twitter: @DrKeriPeterson
http://www.kerimd.com/about
Keri Peterson, MD

110 East 59th St.
(between Park and Lexington)
Ste. 9C
New York, NY 10022

Phone: 212-583-2962

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: