1 reply to this topic

#1 USF1970

USF1970

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

At the first of the year I posted that after 12 years of being my doc's 'most compliant celiac disease patient' I was losing weight and as a result of an endoscope my villa was once again flattened/blunted. I was having mild stomach discomfort and I blamed it on cc w/such items as BRM hot rice cereal and UDI bread. Now that I'm lactose free, I can once again eat those items (however Tinkyada pasta still causes diarrhea and bloating). My question is this.......lactose intolerance can cause weight loss but does it also cause villa damage? My doc did some blood work and he said my celiac disease numbers are very low, whatever that means.....I'm continuing on and trying not to worry about the intestinal issues. I'm not losing weight anymore but I'm not gaining either(thank you....). Just curious. As always, many thanks for everyone's input.

Linda in Savannah, GA

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

According to the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, "The flattened or blunted intestinal surface has been reported in innumerable disease states: infectious heptitis, ulcerative colitis, parasitic infections of the intestine including various types of worms and one-celled parasites, kwashiorkor, soy protein intolerance, intolerance to cow's milk protein, intractable diarrhea of infancy, Chron's disease, and bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine". This appears on page 41.

It stands to reason that if your villi are blunted you will be lactose intolerant. But are you casein intolerant, since casein is the protein fraction of cow's milk which Elaine says can cause villous flattening. On the other hand, you may not tolerate soy, which could have flattened the villi and made you unable to digest the lactose. Or you could have one of the other conditions she mentions. What other testing did your doctor do?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009