Gluten-Free in Canada

• Please log in to reply

15 replies to this topic

#1 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Sadly, in Canada the term "Gluten Free" is not regulated.

That isn't true. There are strict rules, but they only pertain to intentionally included ingredients derived from gluten grains.

Here is the applicable Canadian regulation.

Food and Drug Regulation B.24.018

No person shall label, package, sell or advertise a food in a manner likely to create an impression that it is gluten-free unless the food does not contain wheat, including spelt and kamut, or oats, barley, rye or triticale or any part thereof.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eat2much

eat2much

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

That isn't true. There are strict rules, but they only pertain to intentionally included ingredients derived from gluten grains.

No person shall label, package, sell or advertise a food in a manner likely to create an impression that it is gluten-free unless the food does not contain wheat, including spelt and kamut, or oats, barley, rye or triticale or any part thereof.

My bad! What I meant was your corner bakery can make things with rice flour using the same bowls, mixers, and ovens as their wheat products and still call them "gluten free". The food does not contain wheat as an ingredient but is more than likely cross contaminated.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

If they don't take proper precautions, and therefore know that the product is contaminated, then it would be a violation of the rule to represent it as gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#4 eat2much

eat2much

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

If they don't take proper precautions, and therefore know that the product is contaminated, then it would be a violation of the rule to represent it as gluten-free.

Sadly, most local bakeries and restaurants (I'm only talking about Montreal) just don't understand the difference. They think that because they make something with rice or corn flour, etc. that the product is magically gluten free. That is why I always ask, if for no other reason than to let them know there is a big difference between "no wheat" and "gluten free" and to help them realize that people can get very sick as a result.

#5 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

So is zero 8 confirmed to be okay though? We're going up then flying to newfoundland next week but when we get back we're gonna head to ottawa before driving home. We're gonna want supper haha

#6 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

So is zero 8 confirmed to be okay though? We're going up then flying to newfoundland next week but when we get back we're gonna head to ottawa before driving home. We're gonna want supper haha

Newfoundland? It's currently Rain, Drizzle, Fog, and rain, with a chance of flurries :P

Actually on August 4th, items in Canada that are gluten-free will indeed be labelled, or rather, things which contain "gluten" will be labelled as part of the new Allergen & Gluten Labelling Law.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

Actually on August 4th, items in Canada that are gluten-free will indeed be labelled, or rather, things which contain "gluten" will be labelled as part of the new Allergen & Gluten Labelling Law.

Which improves on what is already a better set of rules than in the US. We have a definition of "gluten-free" and wheat must already be disclosed as a priority allergen. We have no exemption for "highly refined oils"--the loophole that allows soybean oil to be labelled in the US as "vegetable oil" without disclosing soy as the source.
Peter

#8 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Newfoundland? It's currently Rain, Drizzle, Fog, and rain, with a chance of flurries :P

Haha yes I am from newfoundland..sounds like home to me! I am anticipating needing sweaters lol I'll be prepared :D

So now everything containing gluten will have gluten in the ingredient label plain as day?

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Krista, what do you mean by "zero 8"? It is not a term that I recognize.
Peter

#10 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Which improves on what is already a better set of rules than in the US. We have a definition of "gluten-free" and wheat must already be disclosed as a priority allergen. We have no exemption for "highly refined oils"--the loophole that allows soybean oil to be labelled in the US as "vegetable oil" without disclosing soy as the source.

Sadly we went to the grocery store one day intending to buy vegetable oil and looking on the back everything said soybean. Could not find one that was labelled vegetable oil that wasn't soy oil. So we went with canola. I also use Olive oil. But it was really annoying to see after finding out i am hypothyroid and should stay away from soy *sighs*.

#11 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

The restaurant mentioned in this thread- http://www.celiac.co...nd-quebec-city/

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

The restaurant mentioned in this thread- http://www.celiac.co...nd-quebec-city/

If they label it gluten-free, it probably is safe. There is a strict rule in Canada about claiming something is gluten-free, and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) will take enforcement action if suitable practices are not being taken to avoid cross-contamination. However, there is never any absolute guarantee.

Under this rule, gluten-free means gluten-free. It even goes so far as to say that selling "gluten-free oats" is illegal in Canada. It is so restrictive, when taken with another regulation, that many foods that are actually gluten-free may not legally be so labeled.
Peter

#13 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Under this rule, gluten-free means gluten-free. It even goes so far as to say that selling "gluten-free oats" is illegal in Canada. It is so restrictive, when taken with another regulation, that many foods that are actually gluten-free may not legally be so labeled.

Does that mean that all the "safe" dextrose and glucose-fructose syrup and such have to be labeled as wheat derived as well? That would be great.

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

It is so restrictive, when taken with another regulation, that many foods that are actually gluten-free may not legally be so labeled.

Does that mean that all the "safe" dextrose and glucose-fructose syrup and such have to be labeled as wheat derived as well? That would be great.

Yes, it means that although dextrose, maltodextrin, glucose-fructose syrup and some other refined ingredients derived from wheat contain no detectable gluten using tests sensitive to 3 ppm, and those ingredients are typically a very small percentage of the final product, it can not be labelled gluten-free in Canada.

A different regulation deals with allergy disclosure, and it currently considers wheat a "priority allergen," whose presence must be disclosed. In addition to the the FALCPA "top eight" allergens recognized in the US, Canada currently includes sesame seeds and sulphites. As of August this year, the other gluten grains (barley, rye and oats) will be added to the priority allergen list, along with mustard seeds.
Peter

#15 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

Haha yes I am from newfoundland..sounds like home to me! I am anticipating needing sweaters lol I'll be prepared :D

So now everything containing gluten will have gluten in the ingredient label plain as day?

Yeee!
You'll find of us everywhere b'y!

Yes the labelling will be rather clear I read, which is good good good.
The UK has a law similar to this, and we're going in those footsteps, which is needed.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: