Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Endoscopy Photos

8 posts in this topic

I didn't get to talk to the gi in the hospital. If I did, i dont remember. They gave me a folder with four pictures in it. what are they taking pictures of? Ggod stuff? Only bad stuff? Is there a place to compare photos? I haven't received my results yet. I can't stand waiting, but am really curious about the photos since no explanation was given to me or my husband about them. We didn't even know we had them until we looked inside the folder they gave us on the way out. Was hoping someone with experience would know what's up with the photos.

Ads by Google:

They give you pics of bad spots, if there are any. Otherwise, they give you pics of the healthy intestine walls. Celiac is diagnosed by biopsy at the microscopic level. Just looking could tell you something is wrong but only if it's very bad. I bet you could google endoscopy and find pics of healthy ones. if the pics are well done and printed well, It will be a nice even pink or light red, smooth, possibly large ridges or folds.

The best thing is to call the GI office and ask. Tell them you were a bit groggy and not sure what was said and have questions.

Likely, if you got pics and they didn't comment on them, they looked fine. If they saw an obvious ulcer or polyp, they would have showed you and told you.

Thanks. I figured he was taking pics of certain things for certain reasons. I tried to compare on google. I know folds disappear, villi are gone or flat, folds have cut- outs in them ( forget what they call it). To me, my villi look flattened like worms or a mosaic pattern, but I'm not a dr. Decided to ask here if it was for sure a bad spot.

I doubt the pics he gave you would show flattened villa. That is at a microscopic level. The usual endo or colonoscopy photos aren't at that level. They are more of what you would see with your eyes if you could see in there. Since we can't see them and aren't the doc that did them, it would be best to ask the GI.

Trayne, when is your follow-up appointment with your GI? Bring the pictures with you and he/she will be able to explain them to you. By that time the pathology report will also be available so make sure you get a copy of it.