34 replies to this topic

#31 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

Maybe when the restaurants are owned by a family or a food fanatic who take pride in offering really good food for everyone. It would be very a very interesting study :-)

It depends on the family. There is a family restaurant here that keeps their chicken recipe secret. Even the managers don't know what's in the seasoning package. I asked if they could contact the owner and just find out if it has gluten. We used to eat there all the time and it's up the street from us. The owner just kept blowing me off and not responding so I gave up.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Maybe when the restaurants are owned by a family or a food fanatic who take pride in offering really good food for everyone. It would be very a very interesting study :-)

I eat at a small lunch counter where the owner/chef is a celiac, and it is so wonderful to feel totally safe. :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#33 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

We have a beautiful, fairly new retirement home/assisted living facility in our town. They hold events and concerts that are open to the public. I went there yesterday because they had a Mother's Day buffet and a very talented harpist was playing. I did not intend to eat, but was happy to pay my twelve dollars just to hear the harpist.

I got up and LOOKED at the buffet, and there was a nice lady there who asked if she could help me. I explained about the Celiac and corn allergy. She promptly pointed out the things I could eat - the roast beef that had been cooked plain, the vegetables and salads, the potatoes ("but you can't have the gravy"). The only thing she wasn't aware of was the marshmallow topping on the sweet potatoes being made with corn. I explained to her that veggies are often washed in a citrus wash made with corn. She assured me that they used pure ice water to wash their veggies and nothing else.

So I took a chance. I had two slices of roast beef, some carrots (raw), some cukumbers (plain) and a small handful of grapes for dessert. It was so nice to be able to eat with my friends, and so far I have not had a reaction.

This is only the second time I have eaten out since last June. I feel triumphant! I don't mind bringing my own food or eating before I go, but how cool it was to relax and enjoy the music AND the food!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#34 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

We have a beautiful, fairly new retirement home/assisted living facility in our town. They hold events and concerts that are open to the public. I went there yesterday because they had a Mother's Day buffet and a very talented harpist was playing. I did not intend to eat, but was happy to pay my twelve dollars just to hear the harpist.

I got up and LOOKED at the buffet, and there was a nice lady there who asked if she could help me. I explained about the Celiac and corn allergy. She promptly pointed out the things I could eat - the roast beef that had been cooked plain, the vegetables and salads, the potatoes ("but you can't have the gravy"). The only thing she wasn't aware of was the marshmallow topping on the sweet potatoes being made with corn. I explained to her that veggies are often washed in a citrus wash made with corn. She assured me that they used pure ice water to wash their veggies and nothing else.

So I took a chance. I had two slices of roast beef, some carrots (raw), some cukumbers (plain) and a small handful of grapes for dessert. It was so nice to be able to eat with my friends, and so far I have not had a reaction.

This is only the second time I have eaten out since last June. I feel triumphant! I don't mind bringing my own food or eating before I go, but how cool it was to relax and enjoy the music AND the food!

Yay!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#35 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

I work in a teeny restaurant and I have to admit, it is VERY hard to accomodate food allergies. I bring my own food to work unless I feel like ordering a plain salad. For Celiacs, there really isnt anything I would reccomend. Our cooking surfaces are SO SMALL that in order to serve them safely, the cook would have to ONLY be cooking for that table. He wouldn't have room to grill a plain steak and regular food for another table..it would really bog down the whole kitchen..so unless we are really slow, there isnt much we can do, and I say that as someone who has this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: