3 replies to this topic

#1 celiacman

celiacman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac's about 20 months ago. For the most part the gluten free diet has made life alot better. However about a week ago my BP spiked to about 175/115 and my heart rate jumped to abot 115.My doctor tried to control the bp with varios medications without any benefit, He is now looking for other causes. I have read about celiacs and throid disease. I think this may be the issue. Does anyone have any insights on this?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Other autoimmune diseases do seem to show up with Celiac. Many of the members of this forum also have Hashimotos or Graves, both autoimmune thyroid diseases. Your 115 tachycardia could indeed be a symptom of hyperthyroidism. A blood test for the thyroid antibodies is a good first step, possibly followed up with a thyroid ultrasound. Thyroid peroxidase antibody and TSH receptor antibody are the two that usually indicate Graves, if my memory serves. Unregulated hyperthyroidism is serious so you should not hesitate on the blood test, IMHO. Good luck.
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#3 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

I have hashimotos witch is underactive thyroid. It is also an autoimmune disease as is celiac. Some research points to a possible link between the two. A simple blood test can find a problem with the thyroid. Your general doc can take care of it.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac's about 20 months ago. For the most part the gluten free diet has made life alot better. However about a week ago my BP spiked to about 175/115 and my heart rate jumped to abot 115.My doctor tried to control the bp with varios medications without any benefit, He is now looking for other causes. I have read about celiacs and throid disease. I think this may be the issue. Does anyone have any insights on this?

I would definitely push hard for thyroid testing. I would not assume Grave's/hyperthyroid just because of the tachycardia, I suffered that with my hypothyroid/Hashimoto's disease. I've heard some people suggest that the hyperthyroid state of a Hashi's patient is actually caused by sudden release of thyroid hormone as glandular tissue is destroyed. I don't have science to back that up, but it makes sense.

A TSH and free thyroid levels will tell a lot, along with the antibodies. Thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin (TSI), thyroid receptor antibodies (TRAb), anti-thyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO) and anti-thyroglobulin (TgAb) are the ones that will differentiate. Often they'll do just the TSI and the TPO.

Hope you'll be feeling better soon and that your doc will get to the root of the issue.

Welcome to the forum!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: