This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Something Isn't Right

scaredblossom

scaredblossom Rookie

So we made the Red Mill cornbread didn't go over well with me as I said previously, I didn't like it plus just felt yucky! We made the Red Mill brownies today and my goodness they are way too sweet and I really don't feel great now! Nausea, bloating and gas plus some stomach pain! They both have sorgum flour and tapioca flour, I don't know if it's that or what but I have never really liked anything sweet even as a kid! I think I'm about to stick to fruit and things like that!! I just don't know what it is probably shouldn't have went for those things yet but really wanted brownies and cornbread, not anymore :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

That happens.

In the beginning nothing is right. Too sweet, too fatty, too weird.

I now prefer much less sugar - less at one time, less overall.

Fats got me in the beginning, pork especially. First time I ate cake I wanted to hurl, now I'm fine ( although I eat less and try to make lower sugar versions).

Things change. Roll with it. I suggest recipes using almond or coconut and less sugar - try Elana's Pantry for ideas.

rosetapper23 Explorer

It could be that you're reacting to either xanthan gum or guar gum--that's a common complaint. I can't eat baked goods that have a lot of either gum.

scaredblossom Rookie

I don't know what it is but it's now turned to vomiting and once again I'm at work ughhhh

BabsV Enthusiast

BRM products do not agree with me...not sure why. I tried the cornbread, brownies and can't remember the third thing but after each I was miserable. It was weeks or months apart when I tried them. Doesn't BRM process gluten-free oats in their facility? I wonder if that is what made me so unhappy. I've had better luck with Pamela's products though I try to stick to foods that are as natural as possible; trying not to do a lot of gluten-free replacement foods.

scaredblossom Rookie

I honestly think I am only going to eat fruit veggies and meat from now on, I hate feeling like this!! I was feeling soooo much better and now this =(

Takala Enthusiast

I have had some really bad reactions to the BRM corn products, even those labeled gluten free.

Not other corn, so it's them. I tried their plain cornmeal products, also, and had the same reaction.

You have to be extremely, extremely careful with any of their corn products, as they also package some as not gluten free. READ THE LABEL. This is true of other brands of corn meal, like Hodgson's mill, same thing, they say naturally gluten free, but may process in a plant with other glutens.

Are you sensitive to gluten free oats ? All of the BRM's stuff is cc'd with oats (randomly, it's worse with some types of grains, than others). I have just about stopped using that brand for anything, switching to products not milled with oats, and am doing much, much better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Many people react to BRM products... Try a better brand.. BRM is an easy find but who needs the reaction ....

kareng Grand Master

Are you sensitive to gluten free oats ? All of the BRM's stuff is cc'd with oats (randomly, it's worse with some types of grains, than others). I have just about stopped using that brand for anything, switching to products not milled with oats, and am doing much, much better.

Could you post the info about that? Where did you learn this? Is this on the BRM website?

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I get a reaction from anything from Bob's Red Mill. I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole!

It's unfortunate, because the brand is very easy to find.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

BRM is gross. They put bean flours in everything. That might be what's bothering you too.

I like anything Glutino, Gluten Free Pantry, and Betty Crocker Gluten free. Gluten Free Pantry is my very favorite. Every single thing I've tried from them has been incredible and they use simple ingredients. Mostly rice flours and potato starch. No weird bean flours, etc.

I like simple gluten free baking. I don't know where they got the idea they need to use all this weird stuff in it. My own flour mix at home is 2 parts rice flour to one part potato or corn starch. That's it. Every once in awhile I will blend up gluten free oats in the blender for some flour or make almond meal in my blender in pancakes. I tried sorghum, millet, amaranth etc and they all taste nasty and bother my stomach. My flour mix changes depending on how fluffy and white I want something to be. If I want more whole grain I use more brown rice flour. If I want it to be fluffier like a dessert I use more white or sweet rice flour.

I also make my own flour in my Vitamix blender.

When you try gluten free baked goods, the ones that taste like the real thing are the ones that have the simplest ingredients and nothing oddball.

I had some Pamela's chocolate chip cookies recently and they were disgusting. A mom from baseball brought them to include my son. I was bummed because now everyone on the team things gluten free is nasty. Trader Joe's choc chip gluten-free cookies are amazing and again, simple ingredients.

If you are a new celiac everything might bother you just because your gut is healing. I went through a couple of weeks where applesauce upset my tummy. It passes. It's part of the healing process.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Everyone is different but I have problems with products with sorghum, soy or bean flour. It can be hard in the beginning to tell whether you have been CC'd or are intolerant to a gluten free ingredient that is in the mix. Some of us will eventually be able to recognize our gluten CC reactions as they will have features that our other intolerances don't. It can be helpful to record all the ingredients in products along with the symptoms that appear when we react badly so we can find a pattern. I thought for months after diagnosis that I was being CC'd somehow by products that were for sure gluten-free and processed in dedicated plants. I wasn't. I was just intolerant to the above items that were in them.

scaredblossom Rookie

Thank you all so much, I feel like I'm going crazy at times, well most the time anymore! All I know right now is I don't want anymore sweet bread products lol!! :D Another odd effect I had some problems with my eyesight in the last few years with night driving, bright lights or bright reflectors almost blinded me where i couldn't see to drive, now it's getting much much better! Last night at work after eating the brownie I went in to the med room and it looked to me like it was smokey in there almost like someone had stirred up a bunch of dust, I asked my friend if it looked alright to her and she said it looked fine! This afternoon when I woke up I had severe stomach pain and the dreaded Diarrhea....grrrrrrr :angry:

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Thank you all so much, I feel like I'm going crazy at times, well most the time anymore! All I know right now is I don't want anymore sweet bread products lol!! :D Another odd effect I had some problems with my eyesight in the last few years with night driving, bright lights or bright reflectors almost blinded me where i couldn't see to drive, now it's getting much much better! Last night at work after eating the brownie I went in to the med room and it looked to me like it was smokey in there almost like someone had stirred up a bunch of dust, I asked my friend if it looked alright to her and she said it looked fine! This afternoon when I woke up I had severe stomach pain and the dreaded Diarrhea....grrrrrrr :angry:

If you are having symptoms like vision in relation to eating something, in conjunction with pain it probably IS more than just a phase. Keep a food and symptom diary.

sa1937 Community Regular

I do use a number of BRM products like tapioca starch/flour, potato starch, corn flour, rice flours, etc...all of which are single flours or starches and not blends. I also like their gluten-free rolled oats. That said, I don't care for their all-purpose flour or their bread or cake and cookie mixes. But overall, I prefer baking from scratch and not using mixes.

I think it's a matter of personal taste but if their products bother you, by all means don't use them.

beachbirdie Contributor

I like some of the Bob's Red Mill products, like their pizza crust and their wonderful homemade bread mix. I also like their gluten-free pancake mix. I haven't liked the cake mixes so well.

Bob's does have a gluten-free packing facility, and they test their products, but only to the threshold of 19 parts per million. You can read about their gluten-free process Open Original Shared Link.

I love the mixes and flours from Open Original Shared Link. She has a lot of recipes on her site, try them out. Her stuff contains simple ingredients, but a some is based on almond flour so you'll need to be watchful if you need to avoid nuts.

There are MANY wonderful cookbooks and also wonderful recipes floating around the 'net. My family is very adventurous, food-wise, and we have had no trouble finding wonderful things to try, and finding wonderful variety.

IrishHeart Veteran

In the beginning, anything may cause you pain and discomfort.

I could not eat brownies or any sweets (even from flours that were not BRM flours) because my gut was so impaired. I was nauseous and having bowel issues for MANY months post DX :rolleyes: and I was as gluten-free as can be--our home, too. No gluten around me, no eating out and we made everything from scratch and followed a plain foods diet, no dairy, no soy.

It takes time for your gut lining to heal.

Sugars and hard to digest foods, like beans and corn are going to be problematic at first.

(and for some people--always)

Take it back to plain, whole foods for a while before you start thinking that various grains and beans and flours are causing you grief. Many people tolerate BRM without issues, but others do not for some reason.

After a while, try ONE new food and see what happens.

scaredblossom Rookie

Right now until I am more confident and stronger I have decided to stick to mostly fruit and meat! I do eat corn tortilla chips for lunch at work for the snack attack but seem ok with that and today my hubby fixed me bacon and eggs when I got of work, and was even thoughtful enough to not use milk when scrammbling the eggs! I am still crampy at times usually when I wake up, but I have a BM, a normal BM I might add, and it seems to go away! Can I just tell you how wonderful and amazing it is to have normal BM's for the first time in years! It has always been D, C, or a mix! I could give tons of descriptions in size, shape and consistency and not even scratch the surface lol!! Anyway things are looking up minus the aggitation, depression, anxiety I can't seem to kick!! A girl a work tonight was flippantly talking about going gluten-free to lose weight and asking too many questions to this very sensitive newbie here and I was ready to quit my job and take her out not necessarily in that order...I hate condiscending people who thinks a joke a diet or me wanting to lose weight, makes me want to smack them!!

Archived