This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Free 1 Year - Tummy Aches Return

dpoker52

dpoker52 Newbie

Hello - I have been using these forums for information for some time, but this is my first post. My daughter had many years of stomach aches beginning at age three. Severity and frequency varied, but were getting worse as she got older. We had a very frustrating few years with her doctor, but were able to self-diagnose as having problems with gluten about 12 months ago(EnteroLab). Since then we have had my daughter on a gluten free diet, and had a big sigh of relief because we finally knew what the issue was. Her improvement was immediate and the stomach pains were gone, it was awesome to finally have my daughter feeling better. Fast forward to today and my daughter's stomach aches have started to pop up again. For about the last three weeks, my daughter has had a slight stomach ache every three days or so. We always ask how bad it hurts on a scale of one to ten, and the recent stomahc pains are about a one to three. My daughter is good and differentiating between gluten related stomach aches and other stomache feelings(too much candy, hungry, gas, ect.), and she says these are like the gluten stomach aches she used to get, just not as bad. While there was a learning curve when we first started the gluten free diet, we feel we are fairly experienced at this point and are confident that my daughter is not eating any gluten.

Has anyone else come across this? I think my next step will be to cut out the other heavy hitters(soy, casein, and egg) to see what happens. Any other suggestions and similar experiences would be great. Thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You may want to consider gluten, still.

Symptoms change over time (I just had my first round of acid stomach/bloating from gluten and I'm right at 1 year). Sometimes if symptoms aren't managed they, themselves, can become an issue (my gluten pain turned into acidic stomach so I had to be careful with timing meals and food selection). I'm a bit over 2 weeks from my glutening and the stomach stuff is just settling down.

Keeping a food diary won't hurt. Also, she may be getting into something at school or out of the house - could be anything. She doesn't have to intentionally eat it - she could be getting cc from crumbs in tables, etc.

She also may have another intolerance. I'd hit dairy first. It's so hard to eliminate all of the ones your mentioned at once - especially for a child.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Can you pinpoint anything that might have changed? Arts and crafts she started, a new pet that eats gluten food, new supplements or other medication, new toiletries etc? Are the others in your home gluten free? If not could someone have accidentally double dipped into your DD's nut butters or condiments or used her strainer or toaster?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

NanaA
    Newest Member
    NanaA
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Do you have online access to your celiac panel test results such that you could post them? tTG-IGG is kind of a secondary test. A weak positive in that one could indicate celiac disease but since it isn't as specific a marker as the tTG-IGA it is not real convincing. You could also have NCGS (Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity) for which there is no test. Celiac disease must first be ruled out. It is 10x more common than celiac disease and shares many of the same symptoms. Some experts believe it can be a precursor to celiac disease. The antidote for both is the same: total avoidance of gluten.
    • powerofpositivethinking
      I haven't been on this forum for a long time, but it was absolutely wonderful during the diagnostic process!  My path for celiac disease diagnosis was the following: -Had normal IgA level, and my only serology positive test was the DGP IgG -Deficiencies in both Vitamins D and K that did not increase at first despite massive supplementation -Diagnosis of fat malabsorption both total and neutral -Diagnosis of severe exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) -Testing was completed to rule out causes of EPI, and the only one not ruled out was celiac. -Both traditional endoscopy and pill capsule endoscopy yielded negative results for biopsy confirmation, but my GI doctor said that both procedures simply could have missed the damaged spots. -EPI and fat malabsorption resolved after taking Creon for 6 months since my EPI was caused by celiac -23 and Me said I don't have either of the two prominent genes for celiac disease   Remember that you might not have 'textbook' symptoms, but you still may have celiac disease.   Also, I am SO incredibly grateful for this site for all the learning it has allowed me to do. I have a senior dog, and these last few weeks with her were very scary! After two hospital stays, she finally received an IBD diagnosis after having gastroenteritis and pancreatitis. I know that celiac disease is not IBD, however, through reading this site, I learned more about it. I was relieved when I found out she had IBD and not cancer this past Wednesday. I know IBD can be managed thanks to what I've learned here!  So celiac.com, not only did you help me, but you helped my pup too! Thank you ❤️  
    • SuzanneL
      It was tTG IGG that was flagged high. I'm not sure about the other stuff. I'm still eating my normal stuff. 
    • cristiana
      Thank you for your post, @Nedast, and welcome to the forum. It is interesting to read of your experiences. Although I've not had TMJ, from time to time I have had a bit of mild pain in my jaw, sharp stabbing pains and tingling in my face which appears to have been caused by issues with my trigeminal nerve.  I read that sometimes a damaged trigeminal nerve in coeliacs can heal after adopting a gluten free diet.  I try to keep out of cold winds or wear a scarf over my face when it is cold and windy, those conditions tend to be my 'trigger' but I do think that staying clear of gluten has helped.  Also, sleeping with a rolled up towel under my neck is a tip I picked up online, again, that seems to bring benefits. Thank you again for your input - living with this sort of pain can be very hard, so it is good to be able to share advice.
    • Julie Riordan
      I am going to France in two weeks and then to Portugal in May   Thanks for your reply