4 replies to this topic

#1 sugnim

sugnim

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Probably like many on this forum, I had unexplained G.I. issues for years. Recently, I decided to eat gluten-free to see if this might help me. I went just a little over 2 months with absolutely no gluten in my diet, which was pretty easy to do except on my birthday (no cake!) and on vacation (no goodies!) Anyway, I reached the end of my gluten-free period, and this week, I'm going to add gluten back into my diet to see if there are any noticeable changes. Does anyone know how long takes for gluten to begin to affect the G.I. system of those who either have celiac, or are gluten-sensitive? That is, if I am sensitive to gluten, will my first piece of wheat toast do me in, or might it take a while? Thanks for your thoughts!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

Everyone is different. Try it and see, advisedly near a bathroom.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

I did a 7 day gluten challenge last month after being gluten-free for 5 months. It took a few days for my symptoms to start adding up. I did get some nausea and bloating on day one but then as each day progressed things accumulated...canker sores, headaches, restless sleep, change in stool, increase in heartburn, etc.

Good luck to you!

PS: I used cream of wheat for my trial. I wanted to have as "pure" of a gluten product as I could so as to not then question if it was some other ingredient causing me issues.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#4 MKOT

MKOT

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

I have just done similar... 6 weeks of gluten-free then last week ate a little toast, no change, a little white bread, a couple of anzac biscuits all over a few days. By Sunday I had awful stomach ache, it hurt so bad (cramping up high under my ribs) and felt sick. By Monday I had an awful stomach upset and today my sinus pain has been unbearable. I am gutted I now have to eat gluten again for six weeks to get tested for coeliac. :(

#5 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Probably like many on this forum, I had unexplained G.I. issues for years. Recently, I decided to eat gluten-free to see if this might help me. I went just a little over 2 months with absolutely no gluten in my diet, which was pretty easy to do except on my birthday (no cake!) and on vacation (no goodies!) Anyway, I reached the end of my gluten-free period, and this week, I'm going to add gluten back into my diet to see if there are any noticeable changes. Does anyone know how long takes for gluten to begin to affect the G.I. system of those who either have celiac, or are gluten-sensitive? That is, if I am sensitive to gluten, will my first piece of wheat toast do me in, or might it take a while? Thanks for your thoughts!

I am betting everyone is different. My sis in law doesn't feel gluten effects until the next day, usually. I feel them within an hour. I get really bad sinus pressure and swollen glands, and an ear ache followed by digestive issues a few hours later but usually I am "ok" the next day, until I eat it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: