19 replies to this topic

#16 Di2011

Di2011

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:43 AM

Public and friends/family BBQs were a constant source of cross contamination in my early days. Let us know how you reacted, if at all. Hopefully you are not as sensitive as me !!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Bubbles&Bunnies

Bubbles&Bunnies

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

Public and friends/family BBQs were a constant source of cross contamination in my early days. Let us know how you reacted, if at all. Hopefully you are not as sensitive as me !!!

yeah lets see. I had chicken grilled with no BBq sauce, homemade potato salad that if I was shown all the exact ingredients they said were in it shouldn't have had any gluten, and a few hot dogs who's only unknown ingredient was what was listed as "flavorings" but didn't list what was in said flavorings.

My rashes haven't itched this much since the end of the month. I'm guessing cross contamination, Not showing me ALL the potato salad ingredients or hot dog "flavorings" did it to me, perhaps even all of the above.

And I suppose it doesn't help being laughed at or harassed for being what my friends consider as too nit picky about ingredients. *sigh*

#18 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

yeah lets see. I had chicken grilled with no BBq sauce, homemade potato salad that if I was shown all the exact ingredients they said were in it shouldn't have had any gluten, and a few hot dogs who's only unknown ingredient was what was listed as "flavorings" but didn't list what was in said flavorings.

My rashes haven't itched this much since the end of the month. I'm guessing cross contamination, Not showing me ALL the potato salad ingredients or hot dog "flavorings" did it to me, perhaps even all of the above.

And I suppose it doesn't help being laughed at or harassed for being what my friends consider as too nit picky about ingredients. *sigh*

The hot dogs were likely fine as most or allmost all in the US do not contain gluten. The grill could be an issue. If they have cooked buns or soy marinated stuff on it. My mom' s potato salad should be gluten-free but she drains the potatoes in the same colander she has drained pasta in for 25 years.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

B&B, I'm so sorry you're itching like the devil. I hope it doesn't last long. From these things we learn though. We learn not to let peer pressure make us do things we know is not the best idea. We learn to be strong & just say NO. And we learn how to protect ourselves. We learn to always take our own food. I'm not honking on you & I truly feel for you with your rash flaring up.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#20 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

B&B, I'm so sorry you're itching like the devil. I hope it doesn't last long. From these things we learn though. We learn not to let peer pressure make us do things we know is not the best idea. We learn to be strong & just say NO. And we learn how to protect ourselves. We learn to always take our own food. I'm not honking on you & I truly feel for you with your rash flaring up.

You are so right squirmingitch. We've all learnt the hard way, haven't we ?! sigh..
It took me a long while to come to terms with the fact that not eating out (cafe/restaurants and friends/family homes) was going to be for a lifetime. I still occasionally yearn for an easy, yummy, clean-up free snack or meal. But the memory of how bad that all over itch was, the blood, strange glances when in public or even with friends/family, dressing head to toe for 12 months and the months of little to no sleep all take their toll and have left a permanent memory. Life for me is better being strictly gluten free. Far more positives than negative. I believe here in Canberra, Australia there may one day be a strictly gluten free restaurant (there is a very good daytime cafe/bakery - "Deeks" - which is popular even with non-Gluten-Free folk). How nice it would be to have a seriously delicious meal with friends/family just one night :))))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: