Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Feel Abnormal

5 posts in this topic

I have only been recently been tested for celiac disease, but one of the signs my dr took as me having celiac disease was my startling weight GAIN! I gained 36 pounds in less than 3 months. After checking my thyroid (I do have Hypothyroidism) and seeing that being good, she checked my vitamin levels and saw I was deficient in everything. She then sent me to a GI, who I see next week.

I have gained a massive amount of weight in such a short time, and I am already overweight to begin with. Most people here say they were losing weight fast befoer diagnosed...I feel abnormal.

Now I am going to be struggling double to lose this weight. :(

Just ranting.

Ads by Google:

Rant away. This is the place.

I think there are just as many overweight celiacs as there are underweight celiacs. some gain weight, some lose weight & some CAN'T gain weight & some CAN'T lose weight pre diagnosis. I think a lot depends too on the stage you're at with the celiac disease. Maybe. This stuff is weird & there's no one size fits all. But I can say you are NOT abnormal.

Now breathe.biggrin.gif

Im in same boat. I've totally gained on gluten-free diet and don't feel energetic or satisfied from eating. I'm looking out for a diet that will work for me.

I had unexplained weight gain no matter how hard I exercised before diagnosis. Still struggling to lose it 2 1/2 years later.

I had unexplained weight gain no matter how hard I exercised before diagnosis. Still struggling to lose it 2 1/2 years later.

Thanks everyone.

I have always been a good 40-50 pounds over weight. Last year, I worked for the Post Office (temp) and walked between 8-9 hours a day, up and down stairs, carrying a 30lb bag, etc. I quickly lost 28 pounds in a few months. I left in Dec and by March, I had gained all 28, plus 5 more. In 3 months.

My Dr agreed that I shouldnt have gained that much..granted the amount of exercise changed, but my diet did not. I ate a little less since I wasn't using so much energy, if anything, but I didnt just sit around eating chips and stuff.

I do have a thyroid issue but my levels have been great.

So frustrating. I honestly thought food allergies happened to other people, not me :(