4 replies to this topic

#1 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

I have only been recently been tested for celiac disease, but one of the signs my dr took as me having celiac disease was my startling weight GAIN! I gained 36 pounds in less than 3 months. After checking my thyroid (I do have Hypothyroidism) and seeing that being good, she checked my vitamin levels and saw I was deficient in everything. She then sent me to a GI, who I see next week.

I have gained a massive amount of weight in such a short time, and I am already overweight to begin with. Most people here say they were losing weight fast befoer diagnosed...I feel abnormal.

Now I am going to be struggling double to lose this weight. :(

Just ranting.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Rant away. This is the place.

I think there are just as many overweight celiacs as there are underweight celiacs. some gain weight, some lose weight & some CAN'T gain weight & some CAN'T lose weight pre diagnosis. I think a lot depends too on the stage you're at with the celiac disease. Maybe. This stuff is weird & there's no one size fits all. But I can say you are NOT abnormal.

Now breathe.Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 faithforlife

faithforlife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Im in same boat. I've totally gained on gluten-free diet and don't feel energetic or satisfied from eating. I'm looking out for a diet that will work for me.

Faith For Life
Family History of terminal diabetes, acid reflux, etc.
2010-My 4 yr. old son- chronic diarrhea (3-5x a day since he was 12 months old)and chronic anemia,positive for 2 gluten sensitive antibodies, the genes, inflammation
(no villous atrophy found)
2011-entire family positive for genetics for celiac
2011-myself- positive gluten antibodies across the board
Family is successfully gluten free and some lactose free, studying Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Paleo Diet

#4 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

I had unexplained weight gain no matter how hard I exercised before diagnosis. Still struggling to lose it 2 1/2 years later.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#5 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

I had unexplained weight gain no matter how hard I exercised before diagnosis. Still struggling to lose it 2 1/2 years later.

Thanks everyone.
I have always been a good 40-50 pounds over weight. Last year, I worked for the Post Office (temp) and walked between 8-9 hours a day, up and down stairs, carrying a 30lb bag, etc. I quickly lost 28 pounds in a few months. I left in Dec and by March, I had gained all 28, plus 5 more. In 3 months.
My Dr agreed that I shouldnt have gained that much..granted the amount of exercise changed, but my diet did not. I ate a little less since I wasn't using so much energy, if anything, but I didnt just sit around eating chips and stuff.
I do have a thyroid issue but my levels have been great.

So frustrating. I honestly thought food allergies happened to other people, not me :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: