This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fooding And Appointment Issues

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

I'm not sure about it yet, but I think that the cashews were what was making me aggressively irritated. I haven't had them for a week and was feeling fine, then had a few this morning and snapped at hubs when he got home from work, then had anxiety for most of the day. If it really was the cashews, would they be having this effect so quickly? I ate them at 10am, and got irritated at around 4pm, then anxious after that.

I am also wondering.. WHY cashews?!

On a side note, I was feeling so hopeless and couldn't take the fatigue and lousiness any longer, so I called the clinic a week ago, and asked them if that appointment I took some time in march (which they said was going to be in april, and then somewhere in may) was ever going to happen.. and it wasn't going to happen until June because "the queue was really long" X( So we complained so much until they gave me a squeeze-in appointment on the 23rd.

Now that it's a squeeze in appointment, I feel that the doctor will be under so much pressure that I will have to make the best of what little time I'm going to have to explain my problems to him / her.. and what if they tell me nothing's wrong.. then I'll have to wait another quarter of a year to get another appointment with another clinic X(

Just a week left and I'm completely anxious about it, so I've developed a plan. Regardless of the test results, I'll be talking the doc into giving me suitable probiotics that are gluten and lactose free.. and I'll be telling my family that I've been diagnosed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Alwayssomething Contributor

I pieced together today that cashews were bothering me too! I realized it a week or so ago, but thought it was the brand that they were cross contaminated, so I waited a week and tried another brand and flavor (first ones were honeyroasted) it had no cross cantamination warning and no wheat ingredients ate some yesterday and today and had a reaction both days. It is the only thing I can associate with it, so no more cashews for me. What I wonder for me is it a Iodine issue?

I pieced together today that cashews were bothering me too! I realized it a week or so ago, but thought it was the brand that they were cross contaminated, so I waited a week and tried another brand and flavor (first ones were honeyroasted) it had no cross cantamination warning and no wheat ingredients ate some yesterday and today and had a reaction both days. It is the only thing I can associate with it, so no more cashews for me. What I wonder for me is it a Iodine issue?

I don't think cashews are high in iodine.. maybe the salted ones might be?

The ones I've been eating are sold raw and plain.. I either ate them the way they were or roasted them myself in sunflower oil and ate them unsalted.

squirmingitch Veteran

Dani is right. Cashews in & of themselves are very low iodine. Dani --- are you sure your cashews (even though raw) have not been cc'd anywhere along the line? And yes, cashews could be your problem as could any food. you know how celiacs come up with the darndest food issues. This may pass in time or it could remain -- who knows?

I think it's a capital idea to tell your family you have been diagnosed in light of the resistance they have had to the idea of your having celiac. That will take a lot of stress off of you on that score.

You realize that b/c you've been gluten-free that the tests are more likely to be neg, than anything else right?

I understand your apprehension about being squeezed in. Just make careful notes of your symptoms as well as your gluten-free trial & results. Along with the probiotic you need to think of anything else you will need a script for from the doc. Such as gluten-free & salicylate free Acetaminophen &/or Naproxen for those times when you need a pain reliever.

Alwayssomething Contributor

Thanks for the iodine information Dani and squirmingitch.

squirmingitch Veteran

Anytime, any question Alwayssomething. And if we can't answer it someone else can.smile.gif

JaneWhoLovesRain Enthusiast

I just posted something about cashews before reading your post. I've been feeling off a few days and looked at all my labels to make sure I wasn't getting any gluten in me. The cashew label says "may contain trace amounts of . . . . wheat." I would guess there is some cc in manufacturing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

you need to think of anything else you will need a script for from the doc. Such as gluten-free & salicylate free Acetaminophen &/or Naproxen for those times when you need a pain reliever.

Critically true! I had actually forgotten about that because I haven't been getting headaches recently, so thanks :-)))

I don't have any of the cashews at home atm, so I'll check for contamination next time I'm at the market. I don't think I was getting glutened though because it goes away quickly when I stop them, and it doesn't agitate my DH.

squirmingitch Veteran

YVW Dani. And pain relievers aren't just for headaches. Who knows when one is going to twist an ankle or whatever & need the med.

YVW Dani. And pain relievers aren't just for headaches. Who knows when one is going to twist an ankle or whatever & need the med.

I'm also going to ask for a doctor's note stating that I need to bring my own food .. I thought it would be a good idea after reading the thread about sea-world :-)

squirmingitch Veteran

You are right. Good thinking!

Archived