20 replies to this topic

#1 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

As of this morning, I still had three qt. sized bags of sliced mangos from last season in the freezer. I have three mangos on the kitchen counter in a paper bag with an apple in there because my sister showed up with them this weekend. I have a neighbor who has promised me more mangos than I can possibly use, it's a bumper crop this year and she has two mature trees. There's another neighbor who has a tree and is always happy to share because she's allergic to the sap.

I decided to try making a mango cream pie with a meringue crust, thinking it was about time I fired that KitchenAide up!

After perusing several recipes, I found the one! It called for unflavored gelatin. I know I used to have that but after a search of the kitchen cupboards, had none. I probably gave it away when I went gluten-free, so figured maybe that was all good. How long can gelatin be good for? DP said he was pretty sure it doesn't go bad, and did a double search.

We walked to our nearby grocery store and they don't carry gelatin at all!! Fresh Market. (I wish it was still an IGA store.) So I walked another block to a Walgreens. They had flavored Jello, in both the traditional brand, their brand, diet, but no unflavored gelatin. No Knox for me!

I walked home, pulled out an old BH&G cookbook and found a recipe for banana cream pie. It said to microwave a mixture of 2 cups milk and 1/2 a cup of cornstarch for 5 minutes, then add part of the three egg yolks which you previously beat, then mix it altogether (sugar, salt, vanilla, all the usual stuff found in custard.) I thought that recipe was a gift for all the crap I'd been through. (I hate shopping, and we have this horrid little dog that went with us, I love her but she's truly a horrid wench. (Almost as bad as me, ya'll should be sending my dp sympathy cardds for having to live with her and me.) :D

Two hours after cooking and refrigerating the custard, I checked on it. It was the consistency of a light custard sauce. I noticed navy bean sized white lumps in it and decided I'd nuked corn balls in my lovely mango (finely chopped and drained through a sieve) pie filling.

I threw the whole mess in the blender, whirled away, and reheated all of it on a low heat, but let it come to a boil, stirring almost constantly. (I was washing all those dirty dishes in interum.) I just checked the mango custard. It's solid.

My dillema is that if I try to fill the pie with it tomorrow, it won't fit the shell. (Custard is in a 2 qt. bowl, pie shell is in a 9" pie crust. I guess I'll make the traditional chocolate pie tomorrow and share mango custard and chocolate meringue pie with the neighbors? (Pay it forward, right?)

Oh, I substituted orange liquour for the vanilla in both the meringue and custard recipes, just seemed like the right thing to do. I did go on a bit, sorry alot. :)

The other dilemma is...what the heck am I going to do with all those mangos?
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

I love jicama and mango salad. Just chop both up and toss with lime juice and oj and cilantro. I used this as a recipe to work from http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

Mango pudding?

Mango rice pudding?

Dried mango.

Mango margaritas (hellll yeah!).

Mango sorbet?

Mango ice cream...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Mango salsa!

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Mango salsa!

With the mango margaritas!!!!!

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#5 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thank you both for helping me plan my blessed (or cursed) mango fest. I know the Dutch in me will make me use up each one. I bet Mango cheesecake is the bomb. I gave my 9" springform cake pan to hospice, do you think buying a used one is safe, or are there too many crevices? (Hate thoss cubby holds for gluten!) <_<
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Just buy a new one. I scrubbed mine with a toothbrush and Bon ami but the thought of someone else's gluten skeeves me out.

I found a gorgeous antique bundt pan at Goodwill and almost cried from not buying it.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#7 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

great pickled mango recipe

http://www.hawaiinew...e-pickled-mango

As of this morning, I still had three qt. sized bags of sliced mangos from last season in the freezer. I have three mangos on the kitchen counter in a paper bag with an apple in there because my sister showed up with them this weekend. I have a neighbor who has promised me more mangos than I can possibly use, it's a bumper crop this year and she has two mature trees. There's another neighbor who has a tree and is always happy to share because she's allergic to the sap.

I decided to try making a mango cream pie with a meringue crust, thinking it was about time I fired that KitchenAide up!

After perusing several recipes, I found the one! It called for unflavored gelatin. I know I used to have that but after a search of the kitchen cupboards, had none. I probably gave it away when I went gluten-free, so figured maybe that was all good. How long can gelatin be good for? DP said he was pretty sure it doesn't go bad, and did a double search.

We walked to our nearby grocery store and they don't carry gelatin at all!! Fresh Market. (I wish it was still an IGA store.) So I walked another block to a Walgreens. They had flavored Jello, in both the traditional brand, their brand, diet, but no unflavored gelatin. No Knox for me!

I walked home, pulled out an old BH&G cookbook and found a recipe for banana cream pie. It said to microwave a mixture of 2 cups milk and 1/2 a cup of cornstarch for 5 minutes, then add part of the three egg yolks which you previously beat, then mix it altogether (sugar, salt, vanilla, all the usual stuff found in custard.) I thought that recipe was a gift for all the crap I'd been through. (I hate shopping, and we have this horrid little dog that went with us, I love her but she's truly a horrid wench. (Almost as bad as me, ya'll should be sending my dp sympathy cardds for having to live with her and me.) :D

Two hours after cooking and refrigerating the custard, I checked on it. It was the consistency of a light custard sauce. I noticed navy bean sized white lumps in it and decided I'd nuked corn balls in my lovely mango (finely chopped and drained through a sieve) pie filling.

I threw the whole mess in the blender, whirled away, and reheated all of it on a low heat, but let it come to a boil, stirring almost constantly. (I was washing all those dirty dishes in interum.) I just checked the mango custard. It's solid.

My dillema is that if I try to fill the pie with it tomorrow, it won't fit the shell. (Custard is in a 2 qt. bowl, pie shell is in a 9" pie crust. I guess I'll make the traditional chocolate pie tomorrow and share mango custard and chocolate meringue pie with the neighbors? (Pay it forward, right?)

Oh, I substituted orange liquour for the vanilla in both the meringue and custard recipes, just seemed like the right thing to do. I did go on a bit, sorry alot. :)

The other dilemma is...what the heck am I going to do with all those mangos?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 nursenation2

nursenation2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

I like the mango salsa/ mango margaritas idea. That sounds like a party ;)

#9 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

Your mango custard sounds very yummy!

I love mangoes. What a wonderful problem to have too many. I'd cut some up and freeze for later use.

#10 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Just buy a new one. I scrubbed mine with a toothbrush and Bon ami but the thought of someone else's gluten skeeves me out.

I found a gorgeous antique bundt pan at Goodwill and almost cried from not buying it.

Dremel tool, baby!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#11 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Gawd, if I must, I must. (Buy a new springform pan.) I'm glad to know you're a fellow thrift store shopper. My BIL skeeved out once when somebody complimented me on my very cool top. I told them I bought it at Jesus House of Hope (they've since changed the name to House of Hope(local food bank/thrift store), he said "Oooh, that freak's me out, you're wearing dead people's cloths! Yuk!" I told him to get a grip, I by God washed it first, and maybe it was just somebody cleaning out their closet. OK, 9" or 10"? What size should I get the brand spaking new springform pan in? I do like cheesecake and margaritas, my tequila is getting older as we speak! :lol:

#12 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

great pickled mango recipe

http://www.hawaiinew...e-pickled-mango

I love pickles! But what the heck is pound li hing mui?

I think mango pickles are a bang up idea. And I have a neighborhood of elderly women who would like nothing better than making some bang up mango pickles. They can never decide if exercise helps or hurts their arthritis. I tell them "use it or lose it, that's what my doctor says".

Thanks for the post, waiting (admittedly impatiently) for what that secret ingredient is. Never heard of it! :D :D

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I love pickles! But what the heck is pound li hing mui?

I think mango pickles are a bang up idea. And I have a neighborhood of elderly women who would like nothing better than making some bang up mango pickles. They can never decide if exercise helps or hurts their arthritis. I tell them "use it or lose it, that's what my doctor says".

Thanks for the post, waiting (admittedly impatiently) for what that secret ingredient is. Never heard of it! :D :D

Marilyn, I was curious enough to google it. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Li_hing_mui
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Gawd, if I must, I must. (Buy a new springform pan.) I'm glad to know you're a fellow thrift store shopper. My BIL skeeved out once when somebody complimented me on my very cool top. I told them I bought it at Jesus House of Hope (they've since changed the name to House of Hope(local food bank/thrift store), he said "Oooh, that freak's me out, you're wearing dead people's cloths! Yuk!" I told him to get a grip, I by God washed it first, and maybe it was just somebody cleaning out their closet. OK, 9" or 10"? What size should I get the brand spaking new springform pan in? I do like cheesecake and margaritas, my tequila is getting older as we speak! :lol:

I use my 9" most often.

I've even thought of buying mini ones because it would be easier to make mini cheesecakes and freeze them since I now make 99% of all my desserts...and if a whole cake is there I'll eat the stupid thing.

If you make German Apple Cakes or stuff like that you may need the bigger ones. Mine came as a set.

Last time I was at that Goodwill it was obvious that they had a ton of stuff from one older woman who had excellent, excellent taste in clothes and shoes. I mean gorgeous. I am generally not THAT retro and it was all well worn but in excellent shape. If I had confidence in a local shoe shop or leather refinisher, and could sew at all I probably would have tried some of the shoes and clothes. They were simply divine. Found some evening gowns but weren't my size. That lady had TASTE.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#15 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Prickly, I'll get a nine incher. Thanks for the advice!

(But I'll wait for a coupon, that's just the way I am.) I've also found smaller is better. When I got rid of a bunch of stuff, I gave these really great 4" pans away to a neighbor. She didn't want to take them. I told her I'd ask for them back if I ever started baking again. I think they'd be to the bomb for making gluten-free quick breads (what Mom used to call banana or other breads.)

I bought 4 of them at the Habitat for Humanity pre gluten free. Paid a dollar. My neighbor was so upset that I'd give them to her for free. I really think those four inch loaf pans are perfect.

As to the end of the story, I stuck the mango custard in the meringue pie shell, put whipped cream on top, and delivered it to my neighbor with the the mango trees. She gave me a big kiss,ewww. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: