Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

"i See Gluten Allergies!"

6 posts in this topic

As I am learning to accept my diagnosis and trying to figure exactly how it came about for me (I didn't have sever physical symptoms) I am starting to see the potential for nearly everyone I meet to have an allergy to gluten! Maybe it is just because I have been reading this forum so much, but I'm feeling like gluten is evil at the moment. And I can link any symptom a friend happens to mention to it! I feel like I should stay fair and balanced, as all healthy things are, but I'm having a hard time resisting a nazi-like hatred of gluten at the moment. I am having a hard time feeling positive, or even neutral, when I see co-workers freely eating bagels and pastries and cracked wheat bread and...

Ads by Google:

As I am learning to accept my diagnosis and trying to figure exactly how it came about for me (I didn't have sever physical symptoms) I am starting to see the potential for nearly everyone I meet to have an allergy to gluten! Maybe it is just because I have been reading this forum so much, but I'm feeling like gluten is evil at the moment. And I can link any symptom a friend happens to mention to it! I feel like I should stay fair and balanced, as all healthy things are, but I'm having a hard time resisting a nazi-like hatred of gluten at the moment. I am having a hard time feeling positive, or even neutral, when I see co-workers freely eating bagels and pastries and cracked wheat bread and...

I think that your response is quite natural! I am starting to get a mental picture of "Mr. Yuk" every time I see billboards featuring hamburgers in buns, pizza, breaded chicken, that kind of thing! My husband just laughs because I'm always saying "they need to get their thyroid checked" or "they should be tested for celiac" when I notice things about other people, LOL.

It's not an unheard of sentiment. There are even doctors who are out there saying gluten is toxic for everyone. I'm reading "Dangerous Grains" and "Cereal Killers". Really making me see gluten as poison!

I think I need that. Like you, I don't get really sick. My symptoms are subtle, and I'm not instantly reactionary if I eat gluten. It will be easy for me to cheat if I don't see gluten in the worst possible light.

Gluten is not an issue for me but I do have food intolerances and diabetes. When I was first diagnosed with diabeties, I would see the word "poison" on pretty much every food I saw because I didn't know what to eat. That got better with time. But it was still a very long time before I would be around other people eating food. I just figured if I couldn't eat it, I shouldn't torture myself by seeing others eat it. Now I pretty much just don't care.

I understand what you mean. Not only have I been diagnosed with celiac but also prediabetes. What to eat, is a constant question. I did cheat for hail, now as I'm learning more about the severity of the disease, I'm more careful.

I always say... I am like the little kid in that scary movie who sees dead people everywhere?

I see celiacs everywhere. :unsure:

(because they ARE everywhere.)

I understand what you mean. Not only have I been diagnosed with celiac but also prediabetes. What to eat, is a constant question. I did cheat for hail, now as I'm learning more about the severity of the disease, I'm more careful.

Welcome to the site Marie! Nice to have you with us. :)