5 replies to this topic

#1 Raywuwei

Raywuwei

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

As I am learning to accept my diagnosis and trying to figure exactly how it came about for me (I didn't have sever physical symptoms) I am starting to see the potential for nearly everyone I meet to have an allergy to gluten! Maybe it is just because I have been reading this forum so much, but I'm feeling like gluten is evil at the moment. And I can link any symptom a friend happens to mention to it! I feel like I should stay fair and balanced, as all healthy things are, but I'm having a hard time resisting a nazi-like hatred of gluten at the moment. I am having a hard time feeling positive, or even neutral, when I see co-workers freely eating bagels and pastries and cracked wheat bread and...
4/25/12 tTG blood work tested at >200
5/11/12 Endoscopy confirmed scalloped Duodenum
Gluten Free since 5/11/12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

As I am learning to accept my diagnosis and trying to figure exactly how it came about for me (I didn't have sever physical symptoms) I am starting to see the potential for nearly everyone I meet to have an allergy to gluten! Maybe it is just because I have been reading this forum so much, but I'm feeling like gluten is evil at the moment. And I can link any symptom a friend happens to mention to it! I feel like I should stay fair and balanced, as all healthy things are, but I'm having a hard time resisting a nazi-like hatred of gluten at the moment. I am having a hard time feeling positive, or even neutral, when I see co-workers freely eating bagels and pastries and cracked wheat bread and...

I think that your response is quite natural! I am starting to get a mental picture of "Mr. Yuk" every time I see billboards featuring hamburgers in buns, pizza, breaded chicken, that kind of thing! My husband just laughs because I'm always saying "they need to get their thyroid checked" or "they should be tested for celiac" when I notice things about other people, LOL.

It's not an unheard of sentiment. There are even doctors who are out there saying gluten is toxic for everyone. I'm reading "Dangerous Grains" and "Cereal Killers". Really making me see gluten as poison!

I think I need that. Like you, I don't get really sick. My symptoms are subtle, and I'm not instantly reactionary if I eat gluten. It will be easy for me to cheat if I don't see gluten in the worst possible light.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Gluten is not an issue for me but I do have food intolerances and diabetes. When I was first diagnosed with diabeties, I would see the word "poison" on pretty much every food I saw because I didn't know what to eat. That got better with time. But it was still a very long time before I would be around other people eating food. I just figured if I couldn't eat it, I shouldn't torture myself by seeing others eat it. Now I pretty much just don't care.

#4 Mariew13

Mariew13

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

I understand what you mean. Not only have I been diagnosed with celiac but also prediabetes. What to eat, is a constant question. I did cheat for hail, now as I'm learning more about the severity of the disease, I'm more careful.

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I always say... I am like the little kid in that scary movie who sees dead people everywhere?

I see celiacs everywhere. :unsure:

(because they ARE everywhere.)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I understand what you mean. Not only have I been diagnosed with celiac but also prediabetes. What to eat, is a constant question. I did cheat for hail, now as I'm learning more about the severity of the disease, I'm more careful.

Welcome to the site Marie! Nice to have you with us. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: