Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Fluttering/twitching In Lower Abdomen
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I have been getting this feeling for the past few days, where my lower abdomen will start to twitch/flutter/spasm, not sure what to call it exactly. If I put my hand on my stomach I can feel it, and I can also see it when I look in the mirror as it happens. Can anybody tell me if they've experienced something like this before? I'm afraid there's something wrong with me. :( thanks!

Ads by Google:

I have been getting this feeling for the past few days, where my lower abdomen will start to twitch/flutter/spasm, not sure what to call it exactly. If I put my hand on my stomach I can feel it, and I can also see it when I look in the mirror as it happens. Can anybody tell me if they've experienced something like this before? I'm afraid there's something wrong with me. :( thanks!

I've had that, thought I was going crazy! Not sure what it is though sorry!

Had that too & don't know why. Well I think mine's similar, like a twitch that keeps going, instead of one or a few twitches. Maybe less motion than a twitch but going for from 30sec to a few minutes?

Hmm I wonder why no one knows what it is! It's pretty weird feeling like there's a bird kicking me or something..haha! So Tom, yours went for a long time? Mine wsjust a couple seconds for each one but I've been getting them on and off, sometimes 10 a minute or sometimes once a day.

I get that twichy feeling in my lower abdomen too. It 'flutters' for a few minutes and then stops. I have never looked in the mirror to see if it was visible, will try that next time.

If the twitching is in your lower abdomen, a little more to your right~ it is a "spastic colon".

Or at least that is what I was told when I went to the doctor's for it. :rolleyes: Then the doctor slapped on the old IBS diagnoses.

What's a spastic colon? It's directly 2 inches below my belly button, right in the middle, not to the right. :P woke up with it happening again. It's not painful just annoying haha

What's a spastic colon? It's directly 2 inches below my belly button, right in the middle, not to the right. :P woke up with it happening again. It's not painful just annoying haha

I thought it was in my uterus. So I am not the only person who had that! Good to know I am not crazy!

That's just what I was told by the doctor. Honestly, I have one of the worst track records for meeting CRAZY doctors. :o (and that is the nicest way I can say it) ;)

This may be a little alternative, but... I too, used to have this feeling. But I haven't had this sensation since I did a "cleanse" with Paragone for intestinal parasites.

I used to get those all the time...but mostly on my arms. The ones on my abdomen used to be right around my belly button

I have had this too! Before I was diagnosed (or self diagnosed with positive gene test and symptoms) I had a period of a few months where I honestly started to worry if I was pregnant and it was a baby moving inside me! It felt like a fluttering and twitching with NO pain just a very ODD sensation.

I found it would come mostly at night or in the evenings when I settled but I had it a few times when driving.

I never went to the doc but I put it down to 2 things - trapped wind trying to escape into abdominal cavity and also I think cigarettes and caffeine contributed as was drinking a lotof dietcoke and smoking at the time too.

I really dont think it is anything to worry about - after realising that gluten was to blame for all of my rogue symptoms over a 20 year period, just one more seemed normal LOL. I havent had the feeling in over a year now.

IMHO start /I have had that kind of thing happen also. I think it is spasms in the gut or innards if you want to get technical. :) Your intestines are actually lined with strong muscles. If they get irritated they may let you know that by going into spasms. Basically twitchy irregular contractions. /I had this for several weeks when I first went gluten-free. I think it was part of the healing process at that time. /IMHO end IMHO-ing this whole paragraph here.

I have had this too! Before I was diagnosed (or self diagnosed with positive gene test and symptoms) I had a period of a few months where I honestly started to worry if I was pregnant and it was a baby moving inside me! It felt like a fluttering and twitching with NO pain just a very ODD sensation.

I found it would come mostly at night or in the evenings when I settled but I had it a few times when driving.

I never went to the doc but I put it down to 2 things - trapped wind trying to escape into abdominal cavity and also I think cigarettes and caffeine contributed as was drinking a lotof dietcoke and smoking at the time too.

I really dont think it is anything to worry about - after realising that gluten was to blame for all of my rogue symptoms over a 20 year period, just one more seemed normal LOL. I havent had the feeling in over a year now.

Isn't diet coke caffeine free? Sorry you had the twitching too!

I did a lot of research online and it seems like lots of people get this buy noone knows what it is! It seems like a lot of the people were pregnant, but the others seemed to have no idea what it could be. I don't think it's anything serious, but you never know. I just started taking iron, B12, and D-3 because I am deficient in them...could that have anything to do with it? Thanks! :)

There's a separate diet coke that's also caffeine-free, w/ a vertical goldish ribbon on the label if I remember correctly.

Re: the twitching, I sure wasn't preggo & never thought it serious, and it did go away. Not sure if it's related but was low on vit D when it was tested, but it wasn't at the same time as the fluttering & I was actually way high on B12, but maybe it was low prior.

I have had this too - from my left side of the chest to my stomach area and lower abdomen. It lasts for a few minutes and then goes away. Chest feels like a flip flop, like something inside turning over and over, stomach/abdomen area feels like twitching or yes, like fluttering feeling you get when pregnant. It's weird.

Yes, I have this too. It feels like there's an alien baby inside of me, moving about.

For a solid week I had a flutter, twitching in my left- mid- abdomen that seemed to fit all these descriptions. It was not painful, just unsettling, like a small animal was struggling around in my intestine. I could not feel the motion with my hand and couldn't see it.
The major condition that corresponded with the timing of this condition was that I was traveling in a car for about 11 days. Therefore, possible causes were nutritional changes because of available food;  food poisoning of some sort; greatly increased automobile exhaust inhalation. I had basically ruled out food poisoning immediately because it seemed so peculiarly muscular and didn't get worse.  It came down to environment and/or nutrition or some kind of organ failure. I did research online and magnesium deficiency was mentioned as a possible cause. About a week into it, I bought some whole-food vitamins (just read fine-print and see it didn't actually have magnesium; it didn't seem to do much). I waited until I was home to use some Magnesium Malate I thought I had, and took that as well as some other vitamins and herbs I sometimes take (I am not a regular vitamin-taker, preferring to get all that from good food choices), and within a day the twitching had all but disappeared. The cure was perhaps getting away from sucking exhaust fumes for 10 hours a day; perhaps it was returning to my normally healthy home diet with lots of vegetables (I have never shied away from or had adverse reactions from wheat that I perceived); perhaps (I think this *may* have been the key, though I only took one tablet) the magnesium supplement; perhaps a diminishment of road stress.

I don't know why for sure, but the twitching is gone.

I hope this information helps relieve someone else's symptoms and keep the doctor at bay too!

Edited by Tom in PA

I've never had this before until today I started taking green tea pills and vitamins, as some people said before, I think this is a big part in the issue.