17 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

I have been getting this feeling for the past few days, where my lower abdomen will start to twitch/flutter/spasm, not sure what to call it exactly. If I put my hand on my stomach I can feel it, and I can also see it when I look in the mirror as it happens. Can anybody tell me if they've experienced something like this before? I'm afraid there's something wrong with me. :( thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 scaredblossom

scaredblossom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have been getting this feeling for the past few days, where my lower abdomen will start to twitch/flutter/spasm, not sure what to call it exactly. If I put my hand on my stomach I can feel it, and I can also see it when I look in the mirror as it happens. Can anybody tell me if they've experienced something like this before? I'm afraid there's something wrong with me. :( thanks!

I've had that, thought I was going crazy! Not sure what it is though sorry!

#3 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Had that too & don't know why. Well I think mine's similar, like a twitch that keeps going, instead of one or a few twitches. Maybe less motion than a twitch but going for from 30sec to a few minutes?
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hmm I wonder why no one knows what it is! It's pretty weird feeling like there's a bird kicking me or something..haha! So Tom, yours went for a long time? Mine wsjust a couple seconds for each one but I've been getting them on and off, sometimes 10 a minute or sometimes once a day.

#5 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:03 AM

I get that twichy feeling in my lower abdomen too. It 'flutters' for a few minutes and then stops. I have never looked in the mirror to see if it was visible, will try that next time.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

If the twitching is in your lower abdomen, a little more to your right~ it is a "spastic colon".

Or at least that is what I was told when I went to the doctor's for it. :rolleyes: Then the doctor slapped on the old IBS diagnoses.
Michigan

#7 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:09 AM

What's a spastic colon? It's directly 2 inches below my belly button, right in the middle, not to the right. :P woke up with it happening again. It's not painful just annoying haha

#8 Mnicole1981

Mnicole1981

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

What's a spastic colon? It's directly 2 inches below my belly button, right in the middle, not to the right. :P woke up with it happening again. It's not painful just annoying haha

I thought it was in my uterus. So I am not the only person who had that! Good to know I am not crazy!
gluten-gree as of May 9, 2012

#9 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

That's just what I was told by the doctor. Honestly, I have one of the worst track records for meeting CRAZY doctors. :o (and that is the nicest way I can say it) ;)
Michigan

#10 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

This may be a little alternative, but... I too, used to have this feeling. But I haven't had this sensation since I did a "cleanse" with Paragone for intestinal parasites.

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#11 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

I used to get those all the time...but mostly on my arms. The ones on my abdomen used to be right around my belly button annoying! Oddly enough, I haven't had it happen since I started taking B12.

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#12 jigsawfallingintoplace

jigsawfallingintoplace

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

I have had this too! Before I was diagnosed (or self diagnosed with positive gene test and symptoms) I had a period of a few months where I honestly started to worry if I was pregnant and it was a baby moving inside me! It felt like a fluttering and twitching with NO pain just a very ODD sensation.
I found it would come mostly at night or in the evenings when I settled but I had it a few times when driving.
I never went to the doc but I put it down to 2 things - trapped wind trying to escape into abdominal cavity and also I think cigarettes and caffeine contributed as was drinking a lotof dietcoke and smoking at the time too.
I really dont think it is anything to worry about - after realising that gluten was to blame for all of my rogue symptoms over a 20 year period, just one more seemed normal LOL. I havent had the feeling in over a year now.

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

IMHO start /I have had that kind of thing happen also. I think it is spasms in the gut or innards if you want to get technical. :) Your intestines are actually lined with strong muscles. If they get irritated they may let you know that by going into spasms. Basically twitchy irregular contractions. /I had this for several weeks when I first went gluten-free. I think it was part of the healing process at that time. /IMHO end IMHO-ing this whole paragraph here.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#14 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have had this too! Before I was diagnosed (or self diagnosed with positive gene test and symptoms) I had a period of a few months where I honestly started to worry if I was pregnant and it was a baby moving inside me! It felt like a fluttering and twitching with NO pain just a very ODD sensation.
I found it would come mostly at night or in the evenings when I settled but I had it a few times when driving.
I never went to the doc but I put it down to 2 things - trapped wind trying to escape into abdominal cavity and also I think cigarettes and caffeine contributed as was drinking a lotof dietcoke and smoking at the time too.
I really dont think it is anything to worry about - after realising that gluten was to blame for all of my rogue symptoms over a 20 year period, just one more seemed normal LOL. I havent had the feeling in over a year now.

Isn't diet coke caffeine free? Sorry you had the twitching too!

I did a lot of research online and it seems like lots of people get this buy noone knows what it is! It seems like a lot of the people were pregnant, but the others seemed to have no idea what it could be. I don't think it's anything serious, but you never know. I just started taking iron, B12, and D-3 because I am deficient in them...could that have anything to do with it? Thanks! :)

#15 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

There's a separate diet coke that's also caffeine-free, w/ a vertical goldish ribbon on the label if I remember correctly.

Re: the twitching, I sure wasn't preggo & never thought it serious, and it did go away. Not sure if it's related but was low on vit D when it was tested, but it wasn't at the same time as the fluttering & I was actually way high on B12, but maybe it was low prior.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: