This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fluttering/twitching In Lower Abdomen

Victoria6102

Victoria6102 Contributor

I have been getting this feeling for the past few days, where my lower abdomen will start to twitch/flutter/spasm, not sure what to call it exactly. If I put my hand on my stomach I can feel it, and I can also see it when I look in the mirror as it happens. Can anybody tell me if they've experienced something like this before? I'm afraid there's something wrong with me. :( thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

scaredblossom Rookie

I have been getting this feeling for the past few days, where my lower abdomen will start to twitch/flutter/spasm, not sure what to call it exactly. If I put my hand on my stomach I can feel it, and I can also see it when I look in the mirror as it happens. Can anybody tell me if they've experienced something like this before? I'm afraid there's something wrong with me. :( thanks!

I've had that, thought I was going crazy! Not sure what it is though sorry!

tom Contributor

Had that too & don't know why. Well I think mine's similar, like a twitch that keeps going, instead of one or a few twitches. Maybe less motion than a twitch but going for from 30sec to a few minutes?

Victoria6102 Contributor

Hmm I wonder why no one knows what it is! It's pretty weird feeling like there's a bird kicking me or something..haha! So Tom, yours went for a long time? Mine wsjust a couple seconds for each one but I've been getting them on and off, sometimes 10 a minute or sometimes once a day.

jeanzdyn Apprentice

I get that twichy feeling in my lower abdomen too. It 'flutters' for a few minutes and then stops. I have never looked in the mirror to see if it was visible, will try that next time.

mommida Enthusiast

If the twitching is in your lower abdomen, a little more to your right~ it is a "spastic colon".

Or at least that is what I was told when I went to the doctor's for it. :rolleyes: Then the doctor slapped on the old IBS diagnoses.

Victoria6102 Contributor

What's a spastic colon? It's directly 2 inches below my belly button, right in the middle, not to the right. :P woke up with it happening again. It's not painful just annoying haha

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mnicole1981 Enthusiast

What's a spastic colon? It's directly 2 inches below my belly button, right in the middle, not to the right. :P woke up with it happening again. It's not painful just annoying haha

I thought it was in my uterus. So I am not the only person who had that! Good to know I am not crazy!

mommida Enthusiast

That's just what I was told by the doctor. Honestly, I have one of the worst track records for meeting CRAZY doctors. :o (and that is the nicest way I can say it) ;)

deb445 Rookie

This may be a little alternative, but... I too, used to have this feeling. But I haven't had this sensation since I did a "cleanse" with Paragone for intestinal parasites.

Ninja Contributor

I used to get those all the time...but mostly on my arms. The ones on my abdomen used to be right around my belly button

jigsawfallingintoplace Newbie

I have had this too! Before I was diagnosed (or self diagnosed with positive gene test and symptoms) I had a period of a few months where I honestly started to worry if I was pregnant and it was a baby moving inside me! It felt like a fluttering and twitching with NO pain just a very ODD sensation.

I found it would come mostly at night or in the evenings when I settled but I had it a few times when driving.

I never went to the doc but I put it down to 2 things - trapped wind trying to escape into abdominal cavity and also I think cigarettes and caffeine contributed as was drinking a lotof dietcoke and smoking at the time too.

I really dont think it is anything to worry about - after realising that gluten was to blame for all of my rogue symptoms over a 20 year period, just one more seemed normal LOL. I havent had the feeling in over a year now.

GFinDC Veteran

IMHO start /I have had that kind of thing happen also. I think it is spasms in the gut or innards if you want to get technical. :) Your intestines are actually lined with strong muscles. If they get irritated they may let you know that by going into spasms. Basically twitchy irregular contractions. /I had this for several weeks when I first went gluten-free. I think it was part of the healing process at that time. /IMHO end IMHO-ing this whole paragraph here.

Victoria6102 Contributor

I have had this too! Before I was diagnosed (or self diagnosed with positive gene test and symptoms) I had a period of a few months where I honestly started to worry if I was pregnant and it was a baby moving inside me! It felt like a fluttering and twitching with NO pain just a very ODD sensation.

I found it would come mostly at night or in the evenings when I settled but I had it a few times when driving.

I never went to the doc but I put it down to 2 things - trapped wind trying to escape into abdominal cavity and also I think cigarettes and caffeine contributed as was drinking a lotof dietcoke and smoking at the time too.

I really dont think it is anything to worry about - after realising that gluten was to blame for all of my rogue symptoms over a 20 year period, just one more seemed normal LOL. I havent had the feeling in over a year now.

Isn't diet coke caffeine free? Sorry you had the twitching too!

I did a lot of research online and it seems like lots of people get this buy noone knows what it is! It seems like a lot of the people were pregnant, but the others seemed to have no idea what it could be. I don't think it's anything serious, but you never know. I just started taking iron, B12, and D-3 because I am deficient in them...could that have anything to do with it? Thanks! :)

tom Contributor

There's a separate diet coke that's also caffeine-free, w/ a vertical goldish ribbon on the label if I remember correctly.

Re: the twitching, I sure wasn't preggo & never thought it serious, and it did go away. Not sure if it's related but was low on vit D when it was tested, but it wasn't at the same time as the fluttering & I was actually way high on B12, but maybe it was low prior.

• 2 weeks later...
trayne91 Apprentice

I have had this too - from my left side of the chest to my stomach area and lower abdomen. It lasts for a few minutes and then goes away. Chest feels like a flip flop, like something inside turning over and over, stomach/abdomen area feels like twitching or yes, like fluttering feeling you get when pregnant. It's weird.

tuxedocat Apprentice

Yes, I have this too. It feels like there's an alien baby inside of me, moving about.

tom Contributor
  • 3 years later...
Tom in PA Newbie

For a solid week I had a flutter, twitching in my left- mid- abdomen that seemed to fit all these descriptions. It was not painful, just unsettling, like a small animal was struggling around in my intestine. I could not feel the motion with my hand and couldn't see it.
The major condition that corresponded with the timing of this condition was that I was traveling in a car for about 11 days. Therefore, possible causes were nutritional changes because of available food;  food poisoning of some sort; greatly increased automobile exhaust inhalation. I had basically ruled out food poisoning immediately because it seemed so peculiarly muscular and didn't get worse.  It came down to environment and/or nutrition or some kind of organ failure. I did research online and magnesium deficiency was mentioned as a possible cause. About a week into it, I bought some whole-food vitamins (just read fine-print and see it didn't actually have magnesium; it didn't seem to do much). I waited until I was home to use some Magnesium Malate I thought I had, and took that as well as some other vitamins and herbs I sometimes take (I am not a regular vitamin-taker, preferring to get all that from good food choices), and within a day the twitching had all but disappeared. The cure was perhaps getting away from sucking exhaust fumes for 10 hours a day; perhaps it was returning to my normally healthy home diet with lots of vegetables (I have never shied away from or had adverse reactions from wheat that I perceived); perhaps (I think this *may* have been the key, though I only took one tablet) the magnesium supplement; perhaps a diminishment of road stress.

I don't know why for sure, but the twitching is gone.

I hope this information helps relieve someone else's symptoms and keep the doctor at bay too!

Edited by Tom in PA
  • 3 months later...
SadieJensen Newbie

I've never had this before until today I started taking green tea pills and vitamins, as some people said before, I think this is a big part in the issue.

• 1 year later...
Mandi287 Newbie

I am feeling this right now! It just started and has been going for 15 minutes or so. I just ate some jalapenos, so it could be spicy food related!

• 1 year later...
MtnBear Newbie

Hah!  My first post!

i appreciate this thread.  Indeed,  I have this isolated spasm left of my belly button and up a little just shakin away for the last several hours intermittently.  Lots of gurgling and gassy today too.  Not sure if I got a little cross contact glutened yesterday but fingers crossed I wake up feeling good tomorrow.  Can’t quite identify a good trigger but I do wonder if this might be a sign to take magnesium supplements.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.  Helps to know that this isn’t a big deal, doesn’t hurt, and since I’ve only been truely gluten-free for last 9 weeks, I’m going to chalk it up to healing for the sake of a wonderful weekend.  The good days are finally surpassing the bummer days in number. (Knocks on a tree for good luck).

take care all!

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum! If it is gas-related, which it could be, then magnesium won't help, and actually too much magnesium could cause diarrhea. If it seems more muscle-related, then it might be a good approach. 

• 2 months later...
Bellabee Newbie

I just read an article that stated that there’s a main artery that goes straight down from the heart to the very low abdomen. It will flush blood fast after a large meal, when your pregnant as to pump blood to fetus and in some rare cases it’s an aortic anurism. The last is obviously quite scary. So going to the dr is wise. If it an anurism they can be resolved when caught early.

Bellabee Newbie

It is also normal to see n feel the blood moving under the skin over abdomen in most cases.