18 replies to this topic

#16 lesliev523

lesliev523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

I thought for a while that I was even being glutened by some wines. How could it possibly be wine? All in my head, I thought. Nope. Tried it again. Same thing. So, a little research revealed that wheat paste is sometimes used to seal barrels. Unless it's "my" tried & true tested label, I don't consume.

That's why I get my wine in a box! LOL
Gluten free since 4/17/12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

I thought for a while that I was even being glutened by some wines. How could it possibly be wine? All in my head, I thought. Nope. Tried it again. Same thing. So, a little research revealed that wheat paste is sometimes used to seal barrels. Unless it's "my" tried & true tested label, I don't consume.

I doubt my inexpensive white wine ever saw a barrel sealed with wheat paste. Really, it's one of the celiac myths floating around out there.

I've read long threads about this and it seems to be a celiac myth like vinegar.

Sansurfgirl, my apologies. Perhaps I'm the only one who would interpret this particular statement, and the response to it, as dismissive.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#18 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

I think it's easy to dismiss something that hasn't affected you directly as a Celiac myth. I personally have never been glutened by wine. I will never dismiss a report of it happening to someone else though. Our world of information very much relies on anecdotal reports like this. Not to mention the fact that there are SO many winemakers out there, and I have personally seen documentaries showing one particular winemaker sealing their barrels with wheat paste. Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe, actually!

As always, it has to be your decision, and you have to investigate any products you choose to use. People with reports of something making them ill should always be welcome here.

I have no idea if what I feel after drinking alcohal is related to Celiac or not, but I absolutley cannot tolerate any alcohal at all. I have tried and tried..each time, within 15 mins of sipping, I get horrible pains up my back, in my kidneys and I get extremely dizzy,and a whopping headache comes on. This is only after SIPS. So I just finally said Ok, I must be allergic or something. Wine, Beer, Tequila, doesnt matter.
SO, like I said, no idea if its related, but I know I am extremely sensitive to something so I avoid ALL alcohals altogether. I really dont miss it, Ive never been a drinker.

#19 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I had reactions to wines also. It seemed to me that the chardonays were the worst, but the red wines also bothered me. In making chardonays they add lots of interesting flavors, using interesting ingredients. I forget what they call it, but sometimes they add a few staves from a whiskey barrel to the chardonay to give it some flavor.

Anyhow, it turned out my real problem with wine wasn't gluten. It was grapes. I finally realized that I react to grapes themselves, in any form. Including raisins, grape juice or wine. Those singing raisins in the underwear commercials really get to me also. Ergh! that's a joke, ha ha. But the grapes are gone from my diet, in any form, and I don't have those problems any more.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: