Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

I Used gluten-free Flour, Why Am I Still Feeling Icky?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 hopeonthemove

hopeonthemove

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Before going gluten-free, I was big into home cooking and baking. So when I decided to get the gluten out, I found Bob's gluten-free all purpose flour to use in my recipes. I bought some xanthan gum to add in and starting making my muffins, cookies, and all that other stuff.
I felt pretty good about my new found baking skills, things were coming out very nicely, but I found that right after I ate a muffin or cookie, I was getting some gastro distress right away! Burping/slight heartburn, bloated feeling, that slightly flushed and puffy feeling you get from food problems. I thought it was a coincidence at first, but it seems to be true in several of the recipes I've made. What else could be causing these reactions now that the gluten is gone?

The latest one was a blueberry muffin. It included egg, xanthan, baking powder, sugar, all the usual suspects. I have never had problems with any other food besides wheat, so this reaction has really surprised me!

I've often wondered if I have a problem with refined sugar, and I've heard that some people have problems with xanthan.

Anyone have any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Bob's all purpose flour contains garbanzo flour and fava flour, two bean flours. You may have a problem with legumes??? I know I do.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

The other possible culprit is your baking equipment. If you have scratched baking equipment or kitchen tools - gluten can hide in the scratches. You may try screening and tossing out/replacing some of the worst looking stuff and use parchment on cookie sheets.

You also may just be going through a healing phase. When I first tried to eat gluten-free baked goods I almost vomited. It was the fat/sugar thing. Now I'm ok (although I don't eat near the volume I did before, but still.. I'm ok). You may try digestive enzymes and probiotics to help your gut digest food a bit better.

Or, you may have an issue with legumes or the gums.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

What's in the Bob's all-purpose flour? I recall looking at it recently and there was something in there I either avoid, or it's still a question for me, so I put it back. Does it have sorghum? If so, that might be it, I think that didn't agree with me but I'm going to test it again in a month or 2.

You could try another all-purpose gluten-free flour blend, such as Pamela's or Bisquick or .... ? I'm still getting out 2 or 3 or 4 different items to make my own mixtures (white and brown rice flour, tapioca starch and sometimes potato starch, and sometimes buckwheat flour).

Edit: It looks like prickly and mushroom were adding replies at the same time I was. To add to what prickly said, if you're using nonstick muffin tins, I'd suggest using muffin liners or replacing the ones you have with new ones, that might make a difference too.

Edited by ciamarie, 17 May 2012 - 11:27 AM.

Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

You could try another all-purpose gluten-free flour blend, such as Pamela's or Bisquick or .... ? I'm still getting out 2 or 3 or 4 different items to make my own mixtures (white and brown rice flour, tapioca starch and sometimes potato starch, and sometimes buckwheat flour).

Actually Pamela's and gluten-free Bisquick are baking mixes, not true gluten-free flours (just to clarify).
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Try another brand - without the bean flour. I think my body likes the gluten better than the bean flours. :unsure:
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#7 hopeonthemove

hopeonthemove

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thank you for the advice! It's too bad I just ordered a bulk shipment of Bob's from Amazon :rolleyes:
The next time I'm at the store I'll try another brand and see what happens.

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Thank you for the advice! It's too bad I just ordered a bulk shipment of Bob's from Amazon :rolleyes:
The next time I'm at the store I'll try another brand and see what happens.

You might want to also pick up a bag of Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix. It makes good pancakes, waffles, muffins and I love the banana bread recipe that's on the website.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: