8 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

So me and hubby are suppose to be going gluten free. He grew up loving Skippy Peanut butter. So we were just in the grocery store and found through our triumph dining grocery guide...a few peanut butters that are gluten free..awesome..but...he would LOVE to be able to have skippy again lol But it wasn't listed in the book. I could care less most of the time peanut butter is peanut butter to me but he would love to be able to have skippy again. So we looked at the ingredients and it seems only one of the skippy containers said gluten free...it was something with a honey nut flavor or something? I can't remember now but along the side it specifically said "gluten free" then i looked at the regular skippy and it didn't say that so I told him to hold on and I'd check what some of you have to say? I dunno why the other type of skippy didn't say gluten free when one did..shouldn't they just put it on all of them if they are? lol

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

So me and hubby are suppose to be going gluten free. He grew up loving Skippy Peanut butter. So we were just in the grocery store and found through our triumph dining grocery guide...a few peanut butters that are gluten free..awesome..but...he would LOVE to be able to have skippy again lol But it wasn't listed in the book. I could care less most of the time peanut butter is peanut butter to me but he would love to be able to have skippy again. So we looked at the ingredients and it seems only one of the skippy containers said gluten free...it was something with a honey nut flavor or something? I can't remember now but along the side it specifically said "gluten free" then i looked at the regular skippy and it didn't say that so I told him to hold on and I'd check what some of you have to say? I dunno why the other type of skippy didn't say gluten free when one did..shouldn't they just put it on all of them if they are? lol

Skippy is owned by Unilever, and they will label all forms of gluten on their labels. If you don't seen wheat, barley or rye, it contains no gluten.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,722 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

They are a Unilever company and that company is very good about labeling.

http://www.peanutbut...lp/virtualagent

Are all Skippy Nut butters gluten free?

Information available: Ingredients that may contain any of the top eight allergens as defined by the FDA:

Peanuts, tree nuts, soy, fish, seafood, wheat, eggs, and milk or dairy, as well as any ingredient that may contain gluten, are always listed on the label.

Since product formulations change from time to time, the best advice we can give you is to check the ingredient list on the label.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Skippy is owned by Unilever, and they will label all forms of gluten on their labels. If you don't seen wheat, barley or rye, it contains no gluten.

Good! They confused me by putting gluten free on one and not the other it made me second guess! lol

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,046 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

We use the plain & chunk. There is nothing in the ingredients to suggest gluten.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

We use both chunky and plain as well with no issues. Enjoy your peanut butter :)

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#7 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

I about freaked when I saw skippy come up in a topic. Especially after that BBQ fiasco, which really got me going. I'm glad this got corrected quickly cuz I live on Udi's and skippy. Thanks. Be well.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

I buy Skippy's, too...and have no problem with it. So Enjoy!!!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#9 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thanks everyone...hubby is very happy about this :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: