Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Just How Toxic Is Gluten?

5 posts in this topic

Ads by Google:

I can only tell you what my nutritionist who has celiac told me. She said that a dishwasher is enough to clean the utensils. But she said to get a new toaster and muffin tins for sure. No matter how you clean them, you just can't get the gluten out. If you use old muffin tins, you must use the paper liners. I think you are supposed to replace any cutting boards or pans with obvious scratches. I have also heard to replace stainers if you use them with regular food. Those collanders can't be cleaned very well.

...After reevaluating what I've been eating, I realized that I could be getting small traces of gluten in some of my foods

Just think of gluten as rat poison. Is a little bit of poison okay? nope. ;)

"Gluten free" means making your diet and home as FREE from cross contamination as possible.

Here are a few links that discuss what is suggested regarding cc issues. They explain that YES, you need a separate colander, cutting board, toaster and you should not use scratched teflon pans, etc. Porous surfaces are what you need to replace.

http://celiacdisease...scontaminat.htm

Hidden sources of gluten:

http://www.practical...wiakArticle.pdf

Beer is not gluten-free, unless it is a gluten-free beer.

Blue cheese made from starter bread molds is not a common practice in the US anymore, but certainly, check the labels. If wheat is an ingredient, it should be listed.

Hope you feel better ASAP.

My husband eats 99.9% gluten free with me. If your family feels the need to eat gluten, they can always use paper plates. A new toaster is a must! Even a few crumbs from a butter container can make me sick.