This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Outback

KayJay

KayJay Enthusiast

I just got back from eating out at outback and it was great! I had the port fresh catch or something like that and I can't believe it was gluten-free it was great!

--Then we got dessert and the brownie is really good also. I am feeling full and a little dizzy but I really think it was totally OK.

--That is the first time I have eaten out and feel pretty good afterwards, I hope more restaurants will get gluten-free menus.

Kayla

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Kayla

OH yes, the Chocolate Thunder from Down Under is AWESOME!!!!!! :D:):D:)

Matter of fact, I need to go get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am happy you were able to enjoy a WONDERFUl gluten-free meal!!

hillary-h Rookie

I haven't tried the brownie yet but my daughter who is 5 and was diagnosed a couple of months ago loves the Joey Steak its great it comes with a bake potato and a drink for 4.95 we go there all the time.

Hillary

justmel74 Rookie

I've recently been diagnosed with celiac's disease...do you mean to tell me outback has a gluten-free menu? And the brownie is on it?? Please enlighten me! :o

Thanks,

Melanie

Guest gillian502

The brownie they offer is flourless and therefore gluten-free. Haven't had it yet but when I go back on dairy I want some!

Guest jhmom

Yes Outback has a gluten-free menu, isn't that wonderful!!! I have had their gluten-free brownie and it is awesome! :D

Take a look : Open Original Shared Link

KayJay Enthusiast

Everything with a gluten-free is gluten-free on the menu. It is great! I liked the brownie but I make some at home that taste good I was more impressed with the main meal. I have not really eated at outback before and their food has great flavor!!! I feel like all the gluten-free is bland I like spice in my food and that had spice!

GO and try it!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wildones Apprentice

We ate at Outback last night and was honestly the most excited about the dessert :D , over anything else. They did not have any gluten-free desserts on the menu :( , they only had 3 to chooses from. The chicken (w/ gluten-free BBQ sauce) was good though. There must be different menus in different parts of the country ??? We live in Colorado.

There is a really gluten-free brownie mix, made by the Gluten Free Pantry, that I get at Whole Foods.

GFtwinzee Newbie

I'm new to the board, so I am little confussed as to how to make a new discussion post :unsure: But anyways.. my questions are, has anyone had difficulty eating at outback or wendy's from their gluten-free menus. I am a severely sensitve celiac and I also do not eat dairy or soy. I used to eat at mc. donalds and chippoltes from their gluten-free list but have gotten sick many times, so the only place I trust now is PF changs and I have not tried wendys or outback. So I was just wondering if this would be a wise desicion to try them or not. I figure outback is safer than wendys because its a nicer reasturant and not a fast food reasturant where some employees really might not care. Thanks for any information you can provide me :D

Have a wonderful Gluten Free day!

'Drea

S-EBarr Rookie

Are y'all telling me that Outback has a gluten-free menu?!?!?!

I LOVE that restaurant! That would be sooo totally great!

Beth

corbintlg Newbie

Chocolate Thunder from Downunder is absolutely delicious and gluten free. My entire family loves it and they don't know the difference. We live in Colorado as well - Denver Metro area.

Wildones - what area do you live?

murda Apprentice

I am also new to the board, but wanted to share my experience. I have tried the brownie on two occasions at Outback and have gotten sick. If I stay away from the dessert I am fine otherwise with anything else I have ordered. I personally love the BBQ sauce at Outback. The manager at the one near my house will sell me some for a cheap price (cheaper than glutenfree sauce in stores) it might be something to look into. This way I know our grill is always gluten-free.

Thanks for the other tips. I didn't know about Chippoltes!

wildones Apprentice

Corbintlq

We live in Boulder, and went to the Outback in Louisville. I could have overlooked the gluten-free dessert, but I don't think so, because I was so excited about having it :P . I am getting hungry now, just typing this, I think we will have to go out to eat again soon, we are all getting really sick of our old standards here at my house.

plantime Contributor

WWAAAHHH!! I just called the Outback in Joplin, Missouri, and they do NOT have a gluten-free menu! I feel so deprived!

Guest jhmom

Dessa, you may want to speak to the manager as I have noticed that the other employees were not aware of the gluten-free menu in my area either. The manager and asst manager should know about it, if not you can email the company direct through their website. www.outbacksteakhouse.com

I hope this helps.... I think that each location uses the same recipes, spices, etc.. so it should be safe, but I would speak to the manager just in case.

corbintlg Newbie

Wildones:

I go to the Outback in Littleton - Wadsworth and Bowles area - near Southwest Plaza mall. You'll have to wonder down our way sometime to eat at that Outback. Good luck.

plantime Contributor

I called back and spoke to Scott, they have the gluten-free menu on the website, but they do not have it printed in the restaurant. They will print one off just for me, if I ask for it when I go there to eat. Thanks for telling me to call back! I feel so special! :D

angel-jd1 Community Regular

You can also print out a copy of the gluten-free menu online and carry it in with you to the location. I would be sure that you make them aware of your diet even if you do carry in the menu. That way they can use clean gloves and prep-areas etc.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
zippyten Newbie

Hi: The gluten-free Outback menu is just the regular menu but with "gluten-free" noted next to items that are ok for people with gluten intolerance. To be honest, I don't understand why Outback can't just give out the same menu to everyone and have the gluten-free notation on everyone's menu, because I think it would raise public awareness and spread the word more (for example, many people who eat there may have friends or relatives with celiac and once they know Outback does this, it would bring in more customers -- seems to be common sense...). I just had my first meal there and it was very good, but I have to say I did have a reaction last night and wondered if others have, as well -- and I did not have the brownie (grilled shrimp and the rack of lamb, w/o sauce). I'd love to go back because it was enjoyable for all of us and a relief not to have to figure out the menu on my own, but if I don't feel well afterwards it's obviously not going to be worth it. I've only been gluten-free a few months and didn't think I was that sensitive but now I'm wondering if some cross-contamination in the kitchen would be enough to make me feel ill.

I asked the waitress for the gluten-free menu, and then when she started to take my order, she said: "No gluten. So that means you're diabetic, huh?" (But then she knew enough to say "no croutons on your salad, right?") So my feeling is that maybe they're not all that careful in the kitchen, and the wait staff is probably not educated about gluten intolerance. In that case, just offering the menu is not enough. Even though I certainly appreciate the attempt, and it was so great to go out for Mother's Day and have a good meal I didn't cook myself!.

Ellen

• 3 weeks later...
kalo Rookie

My kids and I went out of town Friday night. We had read that the Outback Steakhouse had a gluten-free menu so we decided to try it. Fortunately the young man that waited on us knew what we were talking about as he had worked in another town where a couple of celiacs used to frequent. No they didn't have a menu. He went back to the chefs and they had NO idea what he was talking about. Someone went on line and printed out a menu for me. Half of the stuff they didn't even have. I just ordere a steak with nothing on it and a salad with vinegar and oil. Forgot to tell him NO crutons or cheese. I picked the crutons off and didn't worry about the cheese (just trying to go without to see how I do). I know there were still crumbs. Haven't been formally diagnosed yet and when I do I'll have to be strictrer such as sending the salad back. The young man that waited on us was great and got a good tip. Just thought I'd pass that along in case someone else went there. This one was in Modesto, Calif. Hugs, Carol B

granny Rookie
WWAAAHHH!! I just called the Outback in Joplin, Missouri, and they do NOT have a gluten-free menu! I feel so deprived!

You're not alone! I called the one in Springdale, Ar. and was told that they don't have a gluten-free menu either. It was very disappointing as our daughter always takes us out to dinner for our birthdays and since my diagnosis, that was the place she wanted to go to. We decided to just stay home and she cooked for us. It was nice but didn't give her the break she deserves. Anyway, I too felt deprived but I didn't ask to speak to the manager, as suggested, so I may call them back. I'd LOVE to try the Thunder Down Under!! Granny

Guest jhmom

Granny:

You may want to call back and speak to the manager as I have noticed that the other employees are not aware of the gluten-free menu that they offer. The manager and asst manager should know about it, if not you can email the company direct through their website. www.outbacksteakhouse.com

I think each location uses the same recipes, spices, etc.. so each recipe should be safe, but I would speak to the manager just in case.

Here is the menu if you want to print it out.....

Open Original Shared Link

huskyfan Newbie

i have eaten at the outback in southington, ct. they have the gluten free menu and you can also get in on line. most of the staff there had not even heard of it, but the waitress i had was soooo nice. i e-mailed outback and said how great it was (the brownie was fantastic) and received a $20 gift certificate from the company.

betty :D

Guest NitaB

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Wow, a nice place to eat out! I guess that's where we'll try next. I printed out the menu, so I can take it with me. I'm sure it will help them with a few items, at least.

I haven't read down this list yet, but see where someone mentioned Wendy's. Do they do gluten-free? I figured one could get their salad and baked potato, but are there other things?

Nita

Guest jhmom

Nite,

Yes Wendy's has a gluten-free menu......

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link also has one

That's all I can think of right now ;)

Archived