#16 corbintlg

corbintlg

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:55 AM

Wildones:

I go to the Outback in Littleton - Wadsworth and Bowles area - near Southwest Plaza mall. You'll have to wonder down our way sometime to eat at that Outback. Good luck.
Tammy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 10:58 AM

I called back and spoke to Scott, they have the gluten-free menu on the website, but they do not have it printed in the restaurant. They will print one off just for me, if I ask for it when I go there to eat. Thanks for telling me to call back! I feel so special! :D
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#18 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 01:45 PM

You can also print out a copy of the gluten-free menu online and carry it in with you to the location. I would be sure that you make them aware of your diet even if you do carry in the menu. That way they can use clean gloves and prep-areas etc.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#19 zippyten

zippyten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:12 AM

Hi: The gluten-free Outback menu is just the regular menu but with "gluten-free" noted next to items that are ok for people with gluten intolerance. To be honest, I don't understand why Outback can't just give out the same menu to everyone and have the gluten-free notation on everyone's menu, because I think it would raise public awareness and spread the word more (for example, many people who eat there may have friends or relatives with celiac and once they know Outback does this, it would bring in more customers -- seems to be common sense...). I just had my first meal there and it was very good, but I have to say I did have a reaction last night and wondered if others have, as well -- and I did not have the brownie (grilled shrimp and the rack of lamb, w/o sauce). I'd love to go back because it was enjoyable for all of us and a relief not to have to figure out the menu on my own, but if I don't feel well afterwards it's obviously not going to be worth it. I've only been gluten-free a few months and didn't think I was that sensitive but now I'm wondering if some cross-contamination in the kitchen would be enough to make me feel ill.

I asked the waitress for the gluten-free menu, and then when she started to take my order, she said: "No gluten. So that means you're diabetic, huh?" (But then she knew enough to say "no croutons on your salad, right?") So my feeling is that maybe they're not all that careful in the kitchen, and the wait staff is probably not educated about gluten intolerance. In that case, just offering the menu is not enough. Even though I certainly appreciate the attempt, and it was so great to go out for Mother's Day and have a good meal I didn't cook myself!.
Ellen

#20 kalo

kalo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

My kids and I went out of town Friday night. We had read that the Outback Steakhouse had a gluten-free menu so we decided to try it. Fortunately the young man that waited on us knew what we were talking about as he had worked in another town where a couple of celiacs used to frequent. No they didn't have a menu. He went back to the chefs and they had NO idea what he was talking about. Someone went on line and printed out a menu for me. Half of the stuff they didn't even have. I just ordere a steak with nothing on it and a salad with vinegar and oil. Forgot to tell him NO crutons or cheese. I picked the crutons off and didn't worry about the cheese (just trying to go without to see how I do). I know there were still crumbs. Haven't been formally diagnosed yet and when I do I'll have to be strictrer such as sending the salad back. The young man that waited on us was great and got a good tip. Just thought I'd pass that along in case someone else went there. This one was in Modesto, Calif. Hugs, Carol B
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

#21 granny

granny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

WWAAAHHH!! I just called the Outback in Joplin, Missouri, and they do NOT have a gluten-free menu! I feel so deprived!

You're not alone! I called the one in Springdale, Ar. and was told that they don't have a gluten-free menu either. It was very disappointing as our daughter always takes us out to dinner for our birthdays and since my diagnosis, that was the place she wanted to go to. We decided to just stay home and she cooked for us. It was nice but didn't give her the break she deserves. Anyway, I too felt deprived but I didn't ask to speak to the manager, as suggested, so I may call them back. I'd LOVE to try the Thunder Down Under!! Granny

#22 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

Granny:

You may want to call back and speak to the manager as I have noticed that the other employees are not aware of the gluten-free menu that they offer. The manager and asst manager should know about it, if not you can email the company direct through their website. www.outbacksteakhouse.com

I think each location uses the same recipes, spices, etc.. so each recipe should be safe, but I would speak to the manager just in case.

Here is the menu if you want to print it out.....

Outback Steakhouse gluten-free Menu

#23 huskyfan

huskyfan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:48 PM

i have eaten at the outback in southington, ct. they have the gluten free menu and you can also get in on line. most of the staff there had not even heard of it, but the waitress i had was soooo nice. i e-mailed outback and said how great it was (the brownie was fantastic) and received a $20 gift certificate from the company.
betty :D

#24 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:11 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Wow, a nice place to eat out! I guess that's where we'll try next. I printed out the menu, so I can take it with me. I'm sure it will help them with a few items, at least.

I haven't read down this list yet, but see where someone mentioned Wendy's. Do they do gluten-free? I figured one could get their salad and baked potato, but are there other things?

Nita

#25 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:02 PM

Nite,

Yes Wendy's has a gluten-free menu......

Wendy's gluten-free Menu

Chick-Fil-A also has one

That's all I can think of right now ;)

#26 dana_g

dana_g

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:13 PM

Granny, they may still have the Thunder Down Under on the dessert menu even if they haven't got a gluten-free menu. Flourless cakes and the like are actually "mainstream" items--give them a call. It would be really nice if you could just go there for dessert and coffee! (I've had it BTW, it's yummy!)
Gloriously gluten-free--Dana

#27 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:17 PM

Stacie,
Thank you for those links. I printed out their gluten-free menu, also. Wow, I'm excited!
Nita

#28 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:37 AM

The fact is you can go to the web sites for a large number of fast-food restaurants and find either a gluten-free list, an allergen list, or an exhaustive list of all ingredients for each item. Contamination is still a major problem at these places, though.

richard

#29 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:48 PM

Richard,
Thank you for your reply. I'm hoping for the best, for now! I will check at restaurants, as I go, to be as safe as possible.

A question. Beings I am very new to this, only trying the diet for just over a week, will I notice the effects of contamination? Or will it just hurt my gut, not letting it heal as fast? I'm still unclear on the cross contamination part of it. Also not too clear on the effect of skin and hair products with gluten in them.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Nita

#30 Donna F

Donna F

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

Hmmmm. I ate there today and not feeling well now. I thought it was something else, but I wonder...

I had the bbq chick (without the spices -they weren't sure if they were gluten-free) and a salad w/out croutons but had cheese (was that not gluten-free? I didn't notice it said to hold it). No dessert.

Whad'ya think?

donna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: