35 replies to this topic

#1 Ninja

Ninja

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Would any of you be willing to share some of your favorite fruit smoothie recipes? I need to get away from the processed gluten-free cereals I've been having for breakfast every morning! I'm a newbie at smoothie making though. :lol:

Thanks!

Edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong spot!

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Would any of you be willing to share some of your favorite fruit smoothie recipes? I need to get away from the processed gluten-free cereals I've been having for breakfast every morning! I'm a newbie at smoothie making though. :lol:

Thanks!

You're in the right spot! My fave is blueberry-banana. I never measure, but a banana, hndful of frozen blueberries, scoop of yogurt, and about half a cup of milk. In your case, I would try using coconut milk. Actully, try peeling the banana and breaking it up inside a baggie, then put it in the freezer the night before. The frozen blueberry and banana with cold coconut milk will make a plenty thick smoothie. Can always toss some protein powder in there.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

You may try Blender Girl - she does a lot of smoothies.

http://healthyblende...s/type/blender/

And a good way to bulk up a smoothie is a few spoons of nut butter.

And that reminds me - I have a 1/2 flat of strawberries I've got to clean and freeze...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks!

Almond milk, banana (either frozen or I add a few ice cubes), maybe a squeeze of honey plus a handful of spinach or frozen carrots or canned pumpkin. I really like sneaking a veggie in!

#5 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

1 cup yogurt, splash of fruit juice, handful of frozen
Mixed berries or a banana or frozen sliced peaches, 1tb ground flax. I sometimes add a scoop of natural peanut butter or a scoop of avocado (makes it very creamy).
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#6 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Yum These all sound so delicious! I've got the banana in the freezer, can't wait to try it tomorrow morning! I got a small container of chobani vanilla greek yogurt as I haven't been able to get to the store that carries the rice milk. I'm hoping it will be ok/good to use? This is exciting much more so than the boring cereal! :lol:

Thanks guys! :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

For those who hate to clean the blender:

I make extra smoothie. I put it in microwaveable cups in the freezer. When I want a smoothie, I microwave about 1 minute and stir. You could freeze it in baggies or small containers. If you freeze it all together, you will be chipping at it to get a serving.

Also, make extra smoothies into Popsicles. Imagine the lucky kid who gets a Popsicle for breakfast or snack.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

I have one of those handy little blenders with the single serve cups you can drink from. I just plop in about 1.5 cups of yogurt and frozen fruit (round about half yogurt and half fruit), then top it off with milk. I love just plain peach or peach and strawberry. I also like doing bananas and strawberries, just a variety of berries or a tropical one with mangoes and pineapples and bananas. If I ever truly feel like I need it to be sweeter I just add a little honey.

I love the idea of making smoothie popsicles. Those would make a great summer treat since it's usually in the 80s by the time I want breakfast in the summer.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

Just bought a Nutribullet 3 days ago. If you haven't seen one yet? I didn't search to see if there any posts but they have it going on! Ground my own flour for dog cookies yesterday. I am amazed at how fine the flax grinds. My Vita-Mix hit the dust and not having an extra $500 laying around i took a chance on this thing. Got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $80! Can't beat that. :) I have never been more pleased with anything, ever, in my life.

Yesterdays "smoothie"(it's way more than that!) had 10 green raisins and a 5 almonds, 1/4 cup flax seed, mango, pineapple, 1/4 banana, ice, water(green tea). It was way more than a meal. I was amazed at how long that simple combo lasted in my tummy and well it agreed with me.

I grind the flax by itself to get a really fine grind and no, I had never eaten flax like this before nor did I ever care to. It's good. Way better than pills, which I use to take by the handful.

Most of these Nutriblasts (that's the term) are 1/2 greens, 1/2 fruit and one "blast" (nuts or seed like chia!)
I NEVER used the two before nor did I ever think about add NUTS!? I lost touch with my good heath for a split
second but I am finding my way back. This is a great find/buy!
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

#10 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

I always keep TJ's frozen mango slices in the freezer for smoothies (instead of adding ice cubes) and often use almond milk for additional flavor.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

So I felt so spoiled this morning eating my wonderfully cold smoothie. B) I decided to keep it simple and added frozen strawberries, a few frozen banana slices, some fresh raspberries, a little bit of yogurt and the last of the vanilla rice milk. It was delicious! Though I think I overdid the milk... maybe some kind of fruit juice would be better..? Or maybe just less of the milk. :lol:

Anyhow, I relished every drip! Thanks so much for the suggestions I think I caught the smoothie bug! :D

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#12 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

So I felt so spoiled this morning eating my wonderfully cold smoothie. B) I decided to keep it simple and added frozen strawberries, a few frozen banana slices, some fresh raspberries, a little bit of yogurt and the last of the vanilla rice milk. It was delicious! Though I think I overdid the milk... maybe some kind of fruit juice would be better..? Or maybe just less of the milk. :lol:

Anyhow, I relished every drip! Thanks so much for the suggestions I think I caught the smoothie bug! :D

I like my smoothies thick - more like a milkshake ... so I put just enough milk in to get it going.

#13 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I've learned to freeze everything for smoothies...my favorite is leftover coffee to make my own iced coffee...which isn't really healthy but is good.

I'll turn anything into a smoothie - just dump it in and turn it on and drink it. Cleaned out the freezer and tossed in all of my leftover fruit and added cranberry nectar. Yummy.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#14 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Now that I've thought about it I think it was the yogurt AND the milk that overdid it. I may need to choose one or the other...or just add less of both. Ooo, I bet the mango and the cranberry are good. :o

Milkshake texture is good mine definitely wasn't that this morning. :P I think I'll try blueberry tomorrow instead of banana...

This is actually pretty fun! :D

Gluten Free 2/12 

~Rumi

#15 genieb

genieb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

I don't have recipes -- I just wing it. Usually start with milk (I use almond, but use what you can tolerate) and bananas (usually frozen). Then I just add whatever strikes my fancy. Sometimes fresh or frozen fruit. Sometimes pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. My favorite is dark chocolate. I add flax seed meal to all my smoothies for an extra nutritional boost -- usually 1 Tablespoon per serving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: