arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Cc Vs Other Allergies, (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ashlynn6

Ashlynn6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

I've been gluten free for about 3 months. I've had blood work and endoscopy/colonoscopy both coming back perfect with no problems. My dr and I agreed to try a gluten free diet and it's been a night and day difference. He has me diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I'm eating mostly fresh foods like fruits, veggies, meat, and none to very little processed foods. I've noticed I seem to be very sensitive to what I think maybe cross contamination and still get awful headaches every once in a while.

My nutritionist is suggesting I take the A. L. C. A. T. Test to look for other things I maybe having problems with. Maybe it's not cc but something else?

The test is like $800 is it worth it? Am I just too new to gluten free I need to wait and allow body to settle in? But my endoscopy was clean and saw no damage. Could I really be that sensitive to cc with gluten intolerance? Also my dr only recommended a 2 week gluten challenge before the endoscope, is it possible that was too short and the damage was already healed?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

I've been gluten free for about 3 months. I've had blood work and endoscopy/colonoscopy both coming back perfect with no problems. My dr and I agreed to try a gluten free diet and it's been a night and day difference. He has me diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I'm eating mostly fresh foods like fruits, veggies, meat, and none to very little processed foods. I've noticed I seem to be very sensitive to what I think maybe cross contamination and still get awful headaches every once in a while.

My nutritionist is suggesting I take the A. L. C. A. T. Test to look for other things I maybe having problems with. Maybe it's not cc but something else?

The test is like $800 is it worth it? Am I just too new to gluten free I need to wait and allow body to settle in? But my endoscopy was clean and saw no damage. Could I really be that sensitive to cc with gluten intolerance? Also my dr only recommended a 2 week gluten challenge before the endoscope, is it possible that was too short and the damage was already healed?

Welcome, Ashlynn! A two-week gluten challenge is clearly not long enough to even hope that you'd get a positive biopsy if you'd been gluten-free for three months. I think you already have your answer with a positive response to your gluten-free diet.

That said, there's no way I'd pay $800 out of pocket for any test. But then I'm cheap and if insurance doesn't cover it, I'd skip it. From all I've read here on the forum, food intolerance tests aren't really all that accurate. Of course, that's just my opinion and your mileage may vary. It's possible that other food intolerances/sensitivities may crop up after we've gone gluten-free. CC is always a possibility. Is your household gluten-free or are you eating out a lot?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,075 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

I don't think there are many food intolerance tests around that are reliable. Maybe lactose intolerance hydrogen breath testing and fructose intolerance testing,. Enterolab does some stool testing, but I don't know what heir reliability is on them. An elimination diet is a pretty good way to go though and doesn't cost any money.

You are still pretty new to the gluten-free diet at 3 months. It may just take some time for things to heal and settle down. Probiotics can be helpful, and also avoiding starch and sugars of any kind in the diet. Taking out dairy is generally a good idea at the beginning, although you may be able to add it back later. I don't think people should eat soy either, but some people have no problem with it. Eating a simple diet without lots of food colors, preservatives, enhancers, and fillers, is easier on your digestive system. Foods with 3 or less ingredients on the package are generally a safe bet. (As long as they are not gluten containing).
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 Ashlynn6

Ashlynn6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

My household is 90% gluten free. I've redone my kitchen and haven't gotten sick at home in a long time. But I do notice if I eat a gluten free bar, baking mix, Or anything that has a "flour" replacement I still get sick. I do also get sick if I try to eat out too half the time. Once from outback, Boston market and Wendy's potatoe. I went to a bakery that has gluten free cupcakes and she reviewed all the precautions they take and I still got sick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: