Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Safe Rice For Oat Intolerant Celiacs?

8 posts in this topic

Do any of you super sensitives that react to oats and oat cc (i.e. - lundberg rice products) have a safe rice brand I could try? It's mucho important for some upcoming traveling. Thanks a bunch!

Ads by Google:

Lundberg rice is safe. I emailed them last week and they told me that rice is all they produce. There are no oats there. with that said, Lundberg is the one and only rice that I can eat. Everything else I have tried had made me sick. I like the Sweet rice.

The problem for me with other brands of rice is that I am very corn allergic and the enrichment is adhered using corn starch. I found the brown unenriched to be CC with corn. I believe that Mahatma Brown rice says gluten free on the label. That should work if you are ok with corn.

Edited by GFreeMO

I use Lundberg too and I am intolerant to oats. My favorite is the White Basmati.

Uncle Ben's ASSURED me that they don't use any corn whatsoever. I too am extremely sensitive to corn, and Uncle Ben's has never given me any problems. It's a good thing too because the only two rices available here are Uncle Ben's and Minute Rice. <_<

Do you have any Asian specialty stores in your area? Because usually they'll have rice that's certified to have come in no contact with oats or any other gluten containing-food. Shipped from Thailand or China, India or Japan... and usually organic too!

I just moved from minute rice to using this brand of rice Lotus Foods. However, I'm still not sure if I am oat intolerant or not so I cannot offer any insight on that. Perhaps another option for you though.

I use Nishiki short grained rice, from 99 Ranch. I've also used a kind of black rice from there. No problems with it, but don't quote me on that because I don't know what the actual documentation on these products is.

Oh thanks Mateto! That's a brilliant idea! I'll head there this week.

As for Lundberg, I dont believe it isn't oat cc'd. They use oats as their cover crop so there would likely be lots of cc (there's a video about it on the lundberg website). It gets me, dh and all! I know other super sensitives have had problems with it. gar!