5 replies to this topic

#1 fughawzi

fughawzi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

I'm travelling to Lefkada this summer for two weeks. The place I'm staying in will have a kitchen but the group I'm travelling with will want to eat out and I was wondering what options were available for a celiac in Greece. I'll be near the village of Poros and it says there are tavernas there..

I was also wondering if someone who spoke Greek could help me? The gluten free travel dining card includes ingredients I'm allergic to and it would be nice to have a sheet of paper I can show to a server and work from there.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

I went to Athens about 3 months after my diagnosis...eating gluten-free was not a problem. A lot of the food is naturally gluten-free and I stuck to grilled chicken/pork/fish (no sauce) and lots of veg. I have the Triumph Dining cards and the one in Greek worked really well. All the servers took the issue very seriously and on more than one occasion went to consult with the chef for recommendations. I didn't get glutened once! We did stick to 'nicer' restaurants because when my husband and daughter wanted souvlaki I took one look at the grill and figured it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time, and I had no idea what they might have cooked on it at some point! The best part was all the servers were really attentive to the issue and didn't seem to view me as someone who was 'weird' or 'bothersome.' Enjoy!

#3 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Greece is great, you will have no problems! They eat alot of wonderful veggies and meats that are cooked in olive oil, not breaded. I was there just last year and had no problems. Enjoy!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#4 fughawzi

fughawzi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for your responses! I'm glad that it hasn't been a struggle for others.

My biggest issues are that I'm allergic to both dairy and rice. Do you think that will be a problem for me or will I still be able to stick to meats and vegetables?

#5 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

My biggest issues are that I'm allergic to both dairy and rice. Do you think that will be a problem for me or will I still be able to stick to meats and vegetables?

I wasn't eating dairy when we went and it didn't pose a problem. As for rice...I don't remember eating any while I was there, and I'm a big rice fan. If it had been offered I would have eaten it! I just stuck to the the meat and veg, and didn't have a problem.

#6 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for your responses! I'm glad that it hasn't been a struggle for others.

Oh, no problem at all. They love their veggies and meats. Wonderful food! Enjoy, and let us know how it goes.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: